Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:39:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was my thread about myBitcoin moved to off-topic?  (Read 692 times)
Apate (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 05:51:12 AM

I made an on-topic thread about theories surrounding the collapse of the myBitcoin e-wallet site. It's a matter of clear relevance to bitcoin and something which must surely concern many users - even if they weren't directly involved, the implications of what happened could affect the Bitcoin community for years to come.

I am aware that threads about aspects of Bruce Wagner's private life have been understandably moved to off-topic, and was therefore very careful to purely focus on his involvement in myBitcoin and ensure the thread stayed completely on the topic of bitcoins. Yet despite my best efforts, it's still been moved to off-topic. Perhaps this was an accident, and whichever mod moved it thought it was yet another thread making allegations about Bruce Wagner's private life? Either way, I'd be very grateful if it were moved back into the Bitcoin Discussion forum - where it belongs - or, failing that, it would be nice to get an explanation as to why my thread was off-topic and what I can do to avoid this happening in the future. Thanks.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12890

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:15:46 AM

"Bitcoin discussion" is for stuff related to the Bitcoin ecosystem as a whole. This issue is too specific. The thread would also fit in the top-level "Marketplace" section, since it is about a Bitcoin service.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Apate (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:17:55 AM

"Bitcoin discussion" is for stuff related to the Bitcoin ecosystem as a whole. This issue is too specific. The thread would also fit in the top-level "Marketplace" section, since it is about a Bitcoin service.

It's undeniably about Bitcoins though, which makes the decision to move it to Off-Topic seem incredibly perverse. If the Marketplace section is the right place, why wasn't it moved there in the first place?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12890

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 06:43:59 AM

I just quickly recognized it as a Bruce topic and moved it there with the rest. Feel free to move it to Marketplace.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: