Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:49:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox signs with Verisign, who are Known Scammers according to Wikipedia  (Read 3559 times)
xxxcoin

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2011, 12:16:20 PM

Mt Gox, would you like to impress us with your security related efforts? Than do ISO 27001 audit certification and maintain it in a good standing. Or something similar to that.

Slapping some image on the website and getting a port scan once or twice a day at a cost of 100$ a year is really nothing more than a marketing ploy to woo unwashed masses.

+1
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:30:30 PM

I now have other shit to do

I'm sure of that - why would someone who's here for the "hard facts" want a fact based thread title Smiley

Sorry for spoiling your trolling effort.

The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:34:13 PM

I now have other shit to do

I'm sure of that - why would someone who's here for the "hard facts" want a fact based thread title Smiley

Sorry for spoiling your trolling effort.

Looky! It's our troll-hunting, Pattaya-endorsing fact-checking machine DEFXOR!

Glad to hear you feel a verisign logo has made MtGox a lot safer now. I will shortly be sending my coins back into my MtGox account now that it is fully defxor endorsed! Cheesy

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:37:48 PM

Glad to hear you feel a verisign logo has made MtGox a lot safer now

Do I? Feel free to point out wherever you got that idea from. Myself I'm quite sure I questioned why MagicalTux claimed this had anything to do with MtGox being audited.

MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:41:44 PM

Mt Gox, would you like to impress us with your security related efforts? Than do ISO 27001 audit certification and maintain it in a good standing. Or something similar to that.

Slapping some image on the website and getting a port scan once or twice a day at a cost of 100$ a year is really nothing more than a marketing ploy to woo unwashed masses.

The announce wasn't written by me, and is a bit misleading. The important part is not the seal (it's just a picture on a site, that's nothing I can care about). The important part is the EV certificate and all that means.

We'll get that reworded a bit tomorrow.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:42:06 PM

Looky! It's our troll-hunting, Pattaya-endorsing fact-checking machine DEFXOR!

*snaps into computer scientist mode* Ok, I will define XOR.

XOR is a logical operation where false combined with false is false, true combined with false is true, false combined with true is true, and truth combined with truth is false.

... HEY THAT SOUNDS LIKE TROLLS!

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:28:51 PM

For me is just a point on the side of Verisign; I don't trust them!
So comes strange to see "Verisign Trust" when Verisign isn't meant to be trusted. Not only by their dirty tricks in the past, as also they own Jamba, which is a scam all over.

For the MtGox... well... it's a certificate and does the same as others: Encrypts the connection. For some folks having a "seal" is important, so be it.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
wolftaur

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:31:17 PM

For some folks having a "seal" is important, so be it.

How can you not want your very own seal just like this?

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:38:42 PM

They provide some sort of minimal levels of verifications but in the end, a company's trust should never be provided by some seal.png

How can you possibly see this and not trust me implicitly?

A future victim of Bitcoin mining?
Bitcoin, the first currency backed by baby seals...
freequant

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:44:02 PM

XOR is a logical operation where false combined with false is false, true combined with false is true, false combined with true is true, and truth combined with truth is false.

Dont know why... this reminds me... a recent case...
wolftaur

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 02:57:44 PM

S&P's rating of mortgage securities? Why AIG needed a bailout? Dominique Strauss-Khan? RAID-5?

freequant

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 03:30:52 PM

S&P's rating of mortgage securities? Why AIG needed a bailout? Dominique Strauss-Khan? RAID-5?

Can't tell it. I don't want this thread to end up in Off-Topic.
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 05:22:53 PM
Last edit: August 31, 2011, 05:52:10 PM by twobits

Not really. The title and the completely irrelevant wikipedia quotes just put you in the troll category. I can't really figure out why you wanted that.
There seems to be a stick up your ass Smiley   Thread keeps on delivering with information regarding Verisign.  Let's go back to the title talk you bring up, jokingly made, but is it inaccurate?    The shit that Verisign has tried to pull as a company thinking it is okay to do despite being obvious was to take advantage of unknowing users.   I am just saying, if they were on the forums, Very Sign would have the "XXXXX" red things under their user name, and now we have Mt Gox working directly with them with a press release.

Just saying though, I do not believe there is some big conspiracy theory, but I think it is probable.

Dude, have you really never heard of Verisign before this? They've been giving very basic certs for SSH and such for years. Any argument against them is an argument against ANY 'authority' giving certs.

Ah, interesting typo/slip there.   SSH is actually designed to operate very differently then  ssl, and is the  counter example for showing that ssl got it wrong by combing two separate things, identity and secure transmissions.  People read way too much into ssl certificates and now even go so far as calling self made certificates worthless, yet when done right they can be more secure then the ones you pay for.   The whole industry has been a very profitable snake oil business with Verisign being one of the big winners, and of course Thawte also being in early to and making a lots of money getting bought out by Verisign.  It became a big lottery if you happened to be a ca that got into the early list of trusted certificates included into the popular browsers.  This snakeoil would probably have stopped being profitable if the browsers themselves did not also now start to want to charge money to include new roots and instead included places like cacert's root.  The prices charged for these is way out of line with the costs they take because of this artificial scarcity not because of any real security.

In my opinion, the only wrong doing is in Tux for making it sound like an inside job would have been avoided by an outside reviewer. He's probably just talking that way for the grandma and grandpa users though. Anyone with a brain would know that those seals are for common unsavvy people and don't mean anything to pros. They provide some sort of minimal levels of verifications but in the end, a company's trust should never be provided by some seal.png

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████