Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:01:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice wanted from Mining Yodas  (Read 885 times)
fasteddie9987 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 02:53:01 PM

I've just picked up an antminer u1 usb and I have a pi too.  I've never tried mining before and I don't know that much about the technical side of computers but I'm giving it a go.
I'm going to see if I can get minepeon installed and running tonight but I don't really know what I am doing.  I'll soon pick it up I'm sure but there is an awful lot of information for a newbie to sift through and it's sometime hard to get your head around when you're new to all this. Is there like an idiot proof step by step guide that anyone can link to?  I have a few posts bookmarked from here but I'm a little concerned that an antminer may cause me newbie headaches with a pi because I've read someone say that they are waiting for an update to enable antminers to work with a pi? 
Another thing is that I don't have access to a wired connection where i live and where it shall be mining as the hub is in the next building (shared wifi connection with 2 buildings) Will this cause problems too? 

Any advice or tips on this current project or for when I'm up and running are much appreciated guys.     Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

I am no pi expert, but I assume you have yourself a wifi module that works with the pi as you didn't list this and you can't mine without it. Other than that, a shared wifi is going to be fine.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:12:00 PM

I am no pi expert, but I assume you have yourself a wifi module that works with the pi as you didn't list this and you can't mine without it. Other than that, a shared wifi is going to be fine.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Ha, schoolboy error already.  Yeah, I've got one of those tiny pi usb wifi dongles. It can be a ball ache sometimes not having access to the router with it being next door but all bills are included with rent so I can't really complain too much.
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:26:34 PM

Well I've got even less further than I thought possible   Embarrassed
I have one of those mini wireless keyboards and it wont let me use a third function on a key in minepeon.  The character I cant get is "|".   
Down to the carboot tomorrow for a cheap USB keyboard to begin round 2 i think.  Why do bad things happen to good people  Roll Eyes 
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:41:35 PM

Antminer U1 won't work with MinePeon just yet - the U1 is very new and only works on Antminer's botched cgminer and nwooll's 'beta' version of bfgminer.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 06:49:36 PM

Well I've got even less further than I thought possible   Embarrassed
I have one of those mini wireless keyboards and it wont let me use a third function on a key in minepeon.  The character I cant get is "|".  
Down to the carboot tomorrow for a cheap USB keyboard to begin round 2 i think.  Why do bad things happen to good people  Roll Eyes  

Try this

Make sure that you switch on the Number Lock on your keyboard.
    Hold down the ALT key (left alt key).
    And type the number of which alt code you want to get.

(the number you need is 124)

I found it on http://www.alt-codes.net/

It may save you a trip out?

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 07:14:08 PM

Antminer U1 won't work with MinePeon just yet - the U1 is very new and only works on Antminer's botched cgminer and nwooll's 'beta' version of bfgminer.

My version works on the Rapsberry Pi:

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:38:12 PM

I have one of those mini wireless keyboards and it wont let me use a third function on a key in minepeon.  The character I cant get is "|".  
Down to the carboot tomorrow for a cheap USB keyboard to begin round 2 i think.  Why do bad things happen to good people  Roll Eyes  

Try this

Good idea, I'll try that before I make the trip tomorrow. It's really annoying because its a keyboard that came with the pi but maybe it has something to do with it having minepeon installed on the pi now.
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 07:39:55 PM

I'll give it a try anyway, I'm a rebel that way   Grin
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:03:00 PM

only works on [...] nwooll's 'beta' version of bfgminer.

Huh
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:51:44 PM

Try this

Good idea, I'll try that before I make the trip tomorrow. It's really annoying because its a keyboard that came with the pi but maybe it has something to do with it having minepeon installed on the pi now.

Didn't work  Sad .  Car boot sale it is.
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 12:25:52 PM

So I managed to pick up a keyboard for 50p this morning.  Guess what......... same problem.  Must be something to do with minepeon not accepting 3rd functions of a key.  Has anyone else heard of or had this problem or am I just being really stupid? 
Would I be better of reinstalling raspbian back on the sd card and going this route?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: