Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Volatility trends are mostly down since 2010.  (Read 1616 times)
Terpie (OP)

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 04:59:03 PM

Since trading began in 2010, the trend for BTC volatility appears to be downward: http://www.coinometrics.com/bitcoin/bvix.

This is strong evidence that as adoption increases, bitcoin will become less volatile.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 05:03:21 PM

Since trading began in 2010, the trend for BTC volatility appears to be downward: http://www.coinometrics.com/bitcoin/bvix.
but very slowly
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:11:52 PM

This is strong evidence that as adoption increases, bitcoin will become less volatile.

is the timeframe long enough, and the error on the slope of the line small enough, that this evidence is even significant?

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:15:59 PM

With the increased "market cap", adoption and also the very significant positive market sentiment, volatility is noticeably on the wane in my opinion. Time for analysts to re-calibrate their methods.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:45:04 PM

Yep, surprising that most people (well, journalists anyway) ignore that obvious fact; I guess that is because they look at absolute numbers, "oh look bitcoin crashed $300" while it's actually a 20% move. Another metric which is somewhat related is how much value, in percents, is lost from local maximum to the following local minimum, it progressed like this: 93% (end of 2011) -> 80% (apr 2013) -> 64% (dec 2013, assuming it is over) so extrapolating (I know, I know, but three points is already something) -> 50% somewhere in 2014, and stability should arrive in 2017, which I also think would be around the year of worldwide adoption (unless it crashes to zero, then not).

i am satoshi
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:52:10 PM

Yep, surprising that most people (well, journalists anyway) ignore that obvious fact; I guess that is because they look at absolute numbers, "oh look bitcoin crashed $300" while it's actually a 20% move. Another metric which is somewhat related is how much value, in percents, is lost from local maximum to the following local minimum, it progressed like this: 93% (end of 2011) -> 80% (apr 2013) -> 64% (dec 2013, assuming it is over) so extrapolating (I know, I know, but three points is already something) -> 50% somewhere in 2014, and stability should arrive in 2017, which I also think would be around the year of worldwide adoption (unless it crashes to zero, then not).

Yet another reason that we need mBTC as a default.  Nobody would bat an eye at a 30 cent crash.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:01:54 PM

Yet another reason that we need mBTC as a default.  Nobody would bat an eye at a 30 cent crash.

Since there is no governing body, default is whatever majority uses. So the only way to have it, is to use it. I however withhold because I think mBTC notation is cumbersome, generally bad for mass comprehension, and would result in even harder transition to the next floating point (to uBTC). When something better comes up, I'll start using that.

I still think we need to come up with a good name for 100 satoshis, set this as a base unit, and start using this unit forever together with satoshis. At the moment, 1$ buys you about 1000 of these units, which makes prices more or less manageable already.

i am satoshi
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:12:49 PM

Wasn't the price of 1btc actually a very stable growth till about sometime around the middle of last year when the price just skyrocket? Seems like the price has been more volatile in the last 6-8 months then ever before. I might be wrong though
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:44:36 PM

Wasn't the price of 1btc actually a very stable growth till about sometime around the middle of last year when the price just skyrocket? Seems like the price has been more volatile in the last 6-8 months then ever before. I might be wrong though

Only if you ignore the summer of 2011.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Kungfucheez

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:13:57 PM

2011 was nothing compared to what it did last year only about 4 months ago
Terpie (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:12:50 AM

You can clearly see that Spring/Summer 2011 had the greatest level of volatility. I doubt we ever reach that level again.
Terpie (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:13:47 AM

is the timeframe long enough, and the error on the slope of the line small enough, that this evidence is even significant?

When I ran the numbers through R, the trend was statistically significant.
notig

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:34:44 AM

A higher price pretty much means more stability. If every coin cost a penny and only 12 million coins are in the wild you could buy the entire supply for a mere 120k . It's harder for people to influence the price the higher it is.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:47:44 AM

Volatility was low immediately preceding the GFC.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:55:43 AM

If you look at it in terms of dollars the price moved, yes the price of 1 BTC has grown by a lot more dollars lately. But if you look at it in percentage terms, 2011 moved much quicker.  $0.1-$32 only took only 9 months.  If we started back at the $65 low that this rally to $1240 began at, 320x would be $20,800.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:04:33 AM

Volatility is also tied to uncertainty. When one country will treat bitcoin as something that is going to stay and we would be 100% sure no one will change his mind meantime, we would have much more stable market. But I doubt it will happen with bitcoin because sooner or later countries will try to limit its uses when they see that they own currencies are not used any more. Still I hope there will be enough politicians who could support bitcoin anyway before that happens.

Kungfucheez

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:37:47 PM

If you look at it in terms of dollars the price moved, yes the price of 1 BTC has grown by a lot more dollars lately. But if you look at it in percentage terms, 2011 moved much quicker.  $0.1-$32 only took only 9 months.  If we started back at the $65 low that this rally to $1240 began at, 320x would be $20,800.

Good point, that is true
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

yes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: