Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any website that shows estimated BTC holdings per person?  (Read 1187 times)
keithers (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:00:46 PM

Hey all, I hope your 2014 is of to a great start!   I was curious...is there any website or any data that shows an estimate of how BTC is distributed amongst its holders.   I don't know if I worded that correctly, but what I mean is like a pie chart that maybe shows, that 15% of people invested own 1BTC  or less, and 1% of people own 1,000 BTC or more, etc.   Does that make sense?  Since the number of BTC in circulation is slowly increasing (while obviously remaining extremely rare in comparison to the world's population), I am curious as to how the wealth is distributed.  

Thanks all!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nanonano

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:19:39 PM

rpietila has spent some time trying to guesstimate that in another thread. These numbers (just like any others) should be taken with a large truckload of salt. There's some useful discussion and reasoning in the thread..
nastybit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:22:49 PM

It's not really difficult to create this kind of app, it's all about scanning the blockchain and update the balances but then how do you group addresses hold by the same person/company?
FenixRD

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 06:28:56 PM

I was also going to suggest rpietila's thread. It's had the most thought of the I've seen.

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:26:22 PM

rpietila has spent some time trying to guesstimate that in another thread. These numbers (just like any others) should be taken with a large truckload of salt. There's some useful discussion and reasoning in the thread..

Thanks!  I will check out that thread
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 09:37:52 PM

I was also going to suggest rpietila's thread. It's had the most thought of the I've seen.

I am checking it out now...it is exactly what I was trying to find out.   Thanks!   There are so many threads here that is sometimes tough to find what you are looking for (even after using the search function).
FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:32:26 PM

I am checking it out now...it is exactly what I was trying to find out.   Thanks!   There are so many threads here that is sometimes tough to find what you are looking for (even after using the search function).

Yeah that one is not something with obvious search terms necessarily, we didn't mean the referral to it in the usual "use the search bar n00b" fashion. Luckily there are humans who aggregate content too... we just prefer it offloaded to a search whenever possible Smiley

Uberlurker. Been here since the Finney transaction. Please consider this before replying; there is a good chance I've heard it before.

-Citizenfive
keithers (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 01:19:36 AM

Yeah that one is not something with obvious search terms necessarily, we didn't mean the referral to it in the usual "use the search bar n00b" fashion. Luckily there are humans who aggregate content too... we just prefer it offloaded to a search whenever possible Smiley

No problem, I appreciate the response Smiley.   I was trying to explain the distribution of bitcoin to a few people at my office that are not invested and I couldn't find any literature on it. 

FenixRD

I am Citizenfive.

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 03:37:16 AM

No problem, I appreciate the response Smiley.   I was trying to explain the distribution of bitcoin to a few people at my office that are not invested and I couldn't find any literature on it. 

Then that's a great thread, because it is made and tracked by a few folks with a large amount of them, and the whole point is to see if they are getting more distributed over time. If, as a long-term pattern, Bitcoin tends toward consolidation beyond what is just mathematically normal, and necessary for market functions (this is a standard pareto distribution), that is counter to its objective, and we must figure out why Bitcoin is not incentive-compatible to self-regulation around a normal pareto.

Lots of game theory babble in my paragraph there, so the tl;dr before you zip off to wikipedia, is that the early adopters, by and large, are just as interested that Bitcoin be a system that tends toward fair (again, fair meaning mathematically fair, not everyone-gets-a-yacht "fair") as new users. And the good news is, this looks to be the case so far. It's not always easy to tell, because "lost" coins and "held" coins look the same unless they're moving, but we try to get a grasp on it.

-Citizenfive
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: