Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:42:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuckoo Cycle: a new memory-hard proof-of-work system  (Read 10833 times)
tromp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:51:48 PM

From your Cuckoo Cycle paper:

"For example, for L = 2 the problem reduces to finding a birthday collision as in the Momentum proof-
of-work."

I observed that length 2 Cuckoo Cycle is equivalent to Momentum is equivalent to finding birthday collisions
(ignoring differences in choice of hash function and in number of edges).

What makes you think that says anything about lower bounds for space and time use?

We don't know how much memory and time is needed for finding birthday collisions.
We just have some upperbounds, and some linear trade-offs of memory for time.

We similarly have some upper bounds for the more general Cuckoo Cycle and fewer known trade-offs
(no linear one), which in your terminology makes Momentum the more vulnerable one.
optimiz3

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:15:37 PM

We explored this when looking at k-SUM, where it became clear there was an amortized O(sqrt(n)) compute cost and an O(n) space cost, rooted in the probability of a collision which has been proven via the birthday paradox.

AFAIK the probability of there being a k-cycle in a bipartite undirected G(n,p) graph, where k > 3 has not been proven, so we don't have a strong basis to judge the bounds of an ideal solution for Cuckoo Cycle.  This is were I would love to be proven wrong, as it would lay to rest the possibility of there being unknown backdoors in Cuckoo Cycle.
tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:06:02 PM

AFAIK the probability of there being a k-cycle in a bipartite undirected G(n,p) graph, where k > 3 has not been proven, so we don't have a strong basis to judge the bounds of an ideal solution for Cuckoo Cycle.  This is were I would love to be proven wrong, as it would lay to rest the possibility of there being unknown backdoors in Cuckoo Cycle.

By backdoor, do you mean time-memory trade-offs?
These do not depend in any way on the exact value of the probability of the Cuckoo graph
having a k-cycle. The whitepaper already has numerical approximations for those probabilities,
which suffice for any run-time or memory-use analysis...
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:59:10 AM

These do not depend in any way on the exact value of the probability of the Cuckoo graph
having a k-cycle. The whitepaper already has numerical approximations for those probabilities,

I share some of optimiz3's concerns.  Let me give an incorrect hypothetical example:

What if it were possible to establish, with P(error) < 10%, whether or not a graph *had* a 42 cycle using, e.g., a histogram of the counts of edges incident upon vertices?

(I doubt this is true - I'm pulling something plausible-sounding out of that place we pull such things.)

In other words, if there were some relatively simple-to-measure characteristics of the graph that would let you rapidly find good candidates to spend your effort on, an optimized solver might spend a lot of time *generating graph instances* and relatively little time evaluating them using much memory at all.  With your default parameters of about 2.5% of graphs having a 42-cycle, this could easily result in a 10x speedup using comparatively little chip area or memory.

I'm not saying at all that such a thing exists.  But it's the kind of avenue of attack I worry about.

tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 02:31:20 AM

I share some of optimiz3's concerns.  Let me give an incorrect hypothetical example:

I think you're misreading my answer.
I was telling optimiz3 that it doesn't matter whether the probability is 2.4% or 2.6%, so he should not require me to prove some exact closed form expression for the probability and just accept my numerical approximations as being good enough for analyzing resource usage.

As to your hypothetical graph-statistics filter, that is not something I worry about in the least:-(
dga

Activity: 737
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 11:09:20 AM

I think you're misreading my answer.
I was telling optimiz3 that it doesn't matter whether the probability is 2.4% or 2.6%, so he should not require me to prove some exact closed form expression for the probability and just accept my numerical approximations as being good enough for analyzing resource usage.

As to your hypothetical graph-statistics filter, that is not something I worry about in the least:-(

Sorry - i was overgeneralizing from his note.  I agree with you that the expected probabilities (for the specific N you evaluated) are pretty clear given that the graph is random.

But I was trying to re-introduce the higher-level issue that, while the graph is random, a solver always has two options:  continue working on the current graph or throw it away and try a new one.

tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 02:59:35 PM

But I was trying to re-introduce the higher-level issue that, while the graph is random, a solver always has two options:  continue working on the current graph or throw it away and try a new one.

Indeed. And this could very well be taken to the extreme with the cuckoo tmto you identified;
when looking at vertex subsets of size N/k, only look at the first one, and skip all the k-1 others,
since they will have less chance (even if ever so slightly, due to partial overlap) of producing a solution.

The only cost to switching to the next graph is one sha256 to compute a new siphash key...
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:33:45 PM

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:15:14 PM

Sorry to necro bump but I suspect this is going to be relevant again soon and this is the thread for it.

Any theories about the bottlenecks in mining with Cuckoo Cycle?  I mean I know it's supposed to be memory hard but here is a platform with 96 DIMM slots http://www.tyan.com/datasheets/DataSheet_FT76-B7922.pdf This thing can hold up to 6 TERABYTES of DRAM. Surely one would start to run into processor bottlenecks before that point but when? And also just more generally curious on peoples thoughts on the most efficient way to mine with Cuckoo Cycle.

Also fancy seeing you here aminorex.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:19:18 AM

And also just more generally curious on peoples thoughts on the most efficient way to mine with Cuckoo Cycle.

Lots of memory is not enough. You need lots of memory bandwidth, and enough cores to saturate it.
Currently, GPUs seem superior to CPUs:

https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo/blob/master/GPU.md

Note there is $35000 in bounties for various performance doublings.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4923

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:28:38 AM

Sorry to necro bump but I suspect this is going to be relevant again soon and this is the thread for it.

Any theories about the bottlenecks in mining with Cuckoo Cycle?  I mean I know it's supposed to be memory hard but here is a platform with 96 DIMM slots http://www.tyan.com/datasheets/DataSheet_FT76-B7922.pdf This thing can hold up to 6 TERABYTES of DRAM. Surely one would start to run into processor bottlenecks before that point but when? And also just more generally curious on peoples thoughts on the most efficient way to mine with Cuckoo Cycle.

Also fancy seeing you here aminorex.

He's not the only one that has monitored this thread. Smiley

This was a little ahead of it's time but I agree it will become relevant soon.

Tromp how will this hold up against HBM? It seems to be taking longer than expected to become cost effective.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 09:47:28 AM

Tromp how will this hold up against HBM? It seems to be taking longer than expected to become cost effective.

Too early to tell. The current GPU solver writes + reads about 27GB of data within 1 second on a 1080Ti, which has a bandwidth of 484GB/s. So there are still other bottlenecks to overcome...
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 09:33:36 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2018, 02:15:59 AM by Hueristic

Too early to tell. The current GPU solver writes + reads about 27GB of data within 1 second on a 1080Ti, which has a bandwidth of 484GB/s. So there are still other bottlenecks to overcome...

Ahh, I haven't read enough to know it is cuda dependent. I'll try to catch up in the next week, what the best link for that? I think was the last thing I read on this.

http://cryptorials.io/beyond-hashcash-proof-work-theres-mining-hashing/

EDIt: I just remembered this is hardware agnostic isn't it? It should be IIRC. Were you just using the Nvidia as an example?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
tromp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 08:55:28 AM

Ahh, I haven't read enough to know it is cuda dependent. I'll try to catch up in the next week, what the best link for that? I think was the last thing I read on this.

EDIt: I just remembered this is hardware agnostic isn't it? It should be IIRC. Were you just using the Nvidia as an example?

Pretty agnostic indeed.
My benching was done on intel Core i5/i7 and that NVidia, and I happen to have the memory bandwidth data
available for the latter.

I'm rewriting my Cuckoo Cycle paper to have more details on mean miner. For now, it's best to study its source code.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 11:28:55 PM

Pretty agnostic indeed.
My benching was done on intel Core i5/i7 and that NVidia, and I happen to have the memory bandwidth data
available for the latter.

I'm rewriting my Cuckoo Cycle paper to have more details on mean miner. For now, it's best to study its source code.

I wish I still could, unfortunately those days are past for me. Smiley

I'll just keep an eye on grin and assume (yeah I know) that we will see the latest mirroring there as well.

BTW this threads OP needs some +M.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: