Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:03:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining temperatures of the 5750  (Read 3038 times)
legolouman (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:42:44 AM

Recently upgraded to the 5750, which is quite similar to the 5770 and 6750. It's clocked at 815/860 (with 860 being as low as I can go with MSI afterburner for the memory) and fans at 60-75. While idle it was about 47C, but when I started mining, it quickly rose to 90C. By rule of thumb, I've never liked a card to go over 80 for long, so 90 at full load seems VERY high to me. Do you think I'm running it too hot? How hot for how long? etc.

Thanks again,I'll remember you when I take over the world

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iopq

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:00:00 AM

why are you even overclocking it? is your electricity free? At the current prices it's more profitable to run stock clocks and underclock the memory clock

also, use a real program like barely clocked to underclock memory clock to like 204
legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:11:26 AM

Not to come off strong on this coming post but...

Actually, I'm over clocking it because I can. I'm a minor (as in highschool) and don't personally pay for the electricity. On top of that, I use it for gaming and only toy with mining because I can't really invest fully into it.

I may take the extremely underclocked memory to mind, but since this isn't a dedicated rig and has multiple purposes, I enjoy the freedom of MSI afterburner's profile thing. I know it's more profitable with extremely low memory.

With that said, would you post something actually relative to the topic, instead of having all of the answers to something entirely irrelevant?

I still did not want to seem too brusque, but I didn't ask your opinion on profitability or anything, just the prolonged load temperatures of my card.

iopq

Activity: 658

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:48:59 AM

I told you, underclock your memory more, you'll run cooler
don't run at more than 85C for extended periods of time
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 02:12:57 PM

why are you even overclocking it? is your electricity free? At the current prices it's more profitable to run stock clocks and underclock the memory clock

At stock clocks, I loose about 400MH/s between all the cards on my rigs and my power consumption drops about 150W total.

Sorry, but overclocking like mad is still the way to go.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 05:52:18 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2011, 06:59:03 PM by legolouman

At stock clocks, I loose about 400MH/s between all the cards on my rigs and my power consumption drops about 150W total.

Sorry, but overclocking like mad is still the way to go.
See?
(edited to be more mature)

Anyway, I'll look into some way of keeping my memory low for mining, but still be able to stay happy for gaming.

johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:13:45 PM

1) If your card is getting up to 90+ its either an airflow issue or you have a crappy heatsink.  Try removing the side of the case and/or positioning a traditional tabletop fan at it.

2) Even if *you* don't pay for electicity, your folks do.  Don't run up their electricity bill w/o giving them a heads up first.

3) The way the world works is a lot of people 'look down' on kids in highschool, mainly because they run their mouth and have no idea how to socially interact.  I get that you got your profile pic from reddit or whatever, but being a douche with 'feel the burn' and such isn't any way to win points.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:07:18 PM

1) I assume that it would be an airflow problem, as it is a new card. On the other hand, I've had no experience with Biostar cards, so I'll look into it.

2) They are more than aware that I have been mining, they are fine with it as long as I do what I can to save energy. Including the ASR IES program, which with I have saved over 3k w/hours.

3)I understand that, and quite honestly, understand why. While I didn't get my profile pic from reddit (and most reddit things don't originate there anyway). The feel the burn thing even I get was an entirely immature post, but he came off kinda strong, telling me things I already know and not answering the question to begin with.

I have taken your post to heart, and will try to be more mature, and entirely less douche-ish. I will be looking at my airflow or something, and try to fix the problem. Also, just in case you bear to help more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141126 is my exact card.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and help. Even you ipoq.

johnj

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:18:27 PM

The thing about the 57xx series is that they're not 'built' to be powerhouses.  They don't intend people who can 'only afford' a mid-range GPU to be running at 100% stress.  So they skimp out on things like heatsinks and fans and so forth. (I'm on a single 5770)

What I do, is I'm running SDK 2.1, and with POCLBM my flags are "-v -w 256 -s .005" during the day.  the -s flag tells the gpu to 'sleep' for x duration between computations, which can drastically lower heat output as well. (I'm at 1000 gpu, 300 mem).

legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:48:16 PM

Ahh I see. The sleep thing makes a lot of sense. With it, what temperature do you average on your 5770? I'm thinking about upgrading the heatsinks With other chip coolers and things, just tacked on, as it REALLY helped my 5450.

johnj

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:05:22 PM

It really depends on roomtemp, but I try to keep it below 85c. During the day it gets a little hot so I have to slap the -s tag on it.  At night when I can open the window to let the cooler air inside, I can run it w/o the -s tag and have it around 80c.

Note, this is with fans at a manual 100%.  Lots of folks go different ways about having the fan set that high, but its already 2yrs old and if it goes out, it'll go out making me money.

Edit: Check out cablesaurus.com (or whatever, google it).  There you can find some PCI extender cables for pretty cheap which would let your card sit outside the case and then you could just put a regular fan ontop of it.

Edit2: You'll see that your card is an 'open' card, which is to say that it doesn't vent out of its end, rather it just shoots the hotair everywhere and recirculate it inside the case.  That's another reason its getting high.

legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:11:00 PM

Well thanks for the input, I think I may just get a PCI extender, it seems to be what all the cool kids are doing. Honestly, if I could build a separate rig, I would, case cooling is just too hard.

johnj

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:16:18 PM

Well thanks for the input, I think I may just get a PCI extender, it seems to be what all the cool kids are doing. Honestly, if I could build a separate rig, I would, case cooling is just too hard.

If you're feeling handy, I've seen lots of pics where people simply mount all their guts to a single piece of plywood and hang it on the wall

legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:18:33 PM

That is a work of art. I'm speechless  Roll Eyes

Tim the Magician

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:00:44 PM

Also, just in case you bear to help more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141126 is my exact card.

Your card's cooler configuration ejects hot air in a 360 degree arc within your case.. it looks like about 1/12th of that goes out of the vent on the card and the rest cycles around in your case and makes repeted trips through the cooler.  

This isn't the best image.. newegg has a better one (at your link) where you can see the round heat sink and fan placement..

Many other cards have a sort of air guide which directs the air out of the case.. the guide on yours seems mostly to force the air into the heat sink.

Adding some exhaust fans near the card might help you out..  You would probably benefit from running with your case side removed.

legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:09:33 PM

Also, just in case you bear to help more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141126 is my exact card.

Your card's cooler configuration ejects hot air in a 360 degree arc within your case.. it looks like about 1/12th of that goes out of the vent on the card and the rest cycles around in your case and makes repeted trips through the cooler.  

This isn't the best image.. newegg has a better one (at your link) where you can see the round heat sink and fan placement..

Many other cards have a sort of air guide which directs the air out of the case.. the guide on yours seems mostly to force the air into the heat sink.

Adding some exhaust fans near the card might help you out..  You would probably benefit from running with your case side removed.

Hadn't even though of that! I think I might try to fashion a duct of some sort and add some extra cooling, before I go all out with an extender.

legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:16:55 PM

I just want to update you guys. As a temp fix, I have the sides off, and have the case propped near a horizontal AC duct. Have it down to under 70!

Tim the Magician

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:29:23 PM

I just want to update you guys. As a temp fix, I have the sides off, and have the case propped near a horizontal AC duct. Have it down to under 70!

Awesome!  Now you have to crank the clocks until it's overheating again  Grin
legolouman (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 10:38:28 PM

Awesome!  Now you have to crank the clocks until it's overheating again  Grin

Good idea. I had to lol though.  Cheesy

MacT

Activity: 141

ZOHEM | DECENTRALISED USER BEHAVIOUR DATA PROTOCOL

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:11:09 AM

Hey Lego- my 5750 runs between 70 and 75 when used below one of those 5850s that throws heat everywhere instead of exhausting, or 45 when mining just by itself at the settings below. 

Some other little stats that might help you..

on mine at least, 910/270 is the magic running spot and  produces 189.2 Mh/s, using guiminer with -k phatk   FASTLOOP=false VECTORS2 WORKSIZE=256 aggression=13, as a non-monitor card, affinity spread across 4 cores. I usually run it limited to one core though and with worksize at 10, which when mining with other cards shaves quite a few watts usage and drops only 2 mh/s. 

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: