Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:38:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ARTICLE] Bitcoin To Collapse?  (Read 8045 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 06:48:11 PM

First 50 to post about the "SolidCoin is ready for Bitcoin collapse" article on their blog/forum/twitter* - 20 SC

interestingly, it is nowhere said that the post have to be positive about solidcoin...  Coinhunter, can get the bounty for my above post ?

+1 LOL

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 06:49:14 PM

Put another way: you are thinking in the extreme short term. In my opinion any crypto-currency, no matter how good, will fail in the next 20-50 years. Modern computers are simply too insecure to handle a cryptocurrency. I predict that secure, proven correct on pain of liability, computers of equivalent complexity will take generations (or about 150 years) to develop. IMO, due to the 1996 WIPO 'Copyright' and 'Performances and Phonographs' treaties*, computer security has been regressing for the past 15 years.

I disagree.  We have all of the building blocks to make a truly secure language/operating system.  I actually hope the rise in popularity of crypto-currencies will spur investment in new operating systems that address these problems.  Windows, Unix, and OSX are all based on 40+ year old technology.  It's the huge amount of infrastructure and investment built around these old OSes that is holding back progress.  Not only is a secure operating system (one free from viruses, malware and the like) possible to build, it's not even terribly difficult (but it will take a lot of effort and require a large amount of investment that might require many years to recoup).

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:08:38 PM

I want to own every single type of cryptocurrency available to mankind.

Big business opportunity here:

1) Start a block chain once a day.
2) FlipPro will buy the useless coins from all of them.
3) Endless profit!!!

If you still haven't noticed, that is exactly the reason why someone starts a new block chain that is just a copy of bitcoin. But people get what they deserve.

Someone should write a patch for bitcoin so that the chain parameters can be specified as a command line argument. That way new block chains could be setup on a much higher rate, until all "curious" people have been milked as much as possible.
I didn't buy IX or I0. Those were obvious scams... But I do own , Bitcoins, Namecoins , and Solidcoins. You won't be thinking I am so stupid when all these coins hit their respective peaks. And if I loose a few that's fine to.

And actually IX and I0 coins are scams no more since they now have resurrected their network by copying Solidcoins new algorithm lol.

How ironic...

So how then would one convince an investor to buy solidcoins at a 10x premium above i0coins if in fact they have the same algorithm? lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:16:56 PM

So how then would one convince an investor to buy solidcoins at a 10x premium above i0coins if in fact they have the same algorithm? lol

How would you convince an investor to buy bitcoins at a 60x premium above solidcoins if in fact they have a worse algorithm? ^^
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 07:31:32 PM

How would you convince an investor to buy bitcoins at a 60x premium above solidcoins if in fact they have a worse algorithm? ^^

I dont have to. That's the point bitcoin has a much more established market share than solidcoin.

LOL Cheesy

EDIT: I guess all 13 Terahashes of people mining are IDIOTS because they are still mining BTC based on your comment right? LOL

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:26:22 PM

I dont have to. That's the point bitcoin has a much more established market share than solidcoin.

LOL Cheesy

EDIT: I guess all 13 Terahashes of people mining are IDIOTS because they are still mining BTC based on your comment right? LOL
I wouldn't cling on to statements like these.  Miners will go where ever they can earn more for their time. And a real fiat exchange for nmc and sLc at ruxum about to change the game...
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 08:27:32 PM

LOL Cheesy

I wouldn't cling on to statements like these.  Miners will go where ever they can earn more for their time. And a real fiat exchange for nmc and sLc at ruxum about to change the game...

Won't change the game if people don't exchange on it. I'm not talking about the 1541 volume lol. that's not volume.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 08:53:18 PM

Solidcoins have been there for about 10 days. In 10 days from now, the amount of solidcoins will have doubled.
In order to keep a constant price, the demand will need to be twice as high.

The demand for solidcoins comes from a fraction of Bitcoin users, that are convinced to buy solidcoins. We do not need to understand the exact causes that drive them to buy solidcoins ; it is sufficient to observe that in the absence of new compelling arguments, this fraction will probably remain constant.

The number of bitcoin users does not double in an interval of 10 days ; its growth is much slower. Therefore the demand for solicoins will not grow as fast as the supply. This leads to a predictable price decrease.

The above argument assumes that the value of solidcoins is linked to a real economy, and is not influenced by speculation.
However, since most of the value actually results from speculation, we can expect the price decrease to be strongly amplified.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 08:57:34 PM

... Modern computers are simply too insecure to handle a cryptocurrency. I predict that secure, proven correct on pain of liability, computers of equivalent complexity will take generations (or about 150 years) to develop.

I disagree.  We have all of the building blocks to make a truly secure language/operating system.  I actually hope the rise in popularity of crypto-currencies will spur investment in new operating systems that address these problems.  Windows, Unix, and OSX are all based on 40+ year old technology.  It's the huge amount of infrastructure and investment built around these old OSes that is holding back progress.  Not only is a secure operating system (one free from viruses, malware and the like) possible to build, it's not even terribly difficult (but it will take a lot of effort and require a large amount of investment that might require many years to recoup).

40 years is not a long time. There was about 400 years between the industrial revolution and the printing press. The printing press allowed ideas to be widely disseminated cheaply. Copyright law was invented to curtail 'piracy'. I suspect the agricultural revolution took a similar amount of time to convert society from groups of nomads to people with permanent settlements. We are barely scratching the surface of what computers can do: for the most part, they are still emulating the older analog technologies.

The reason I think a secure computer system will take so long is that it is turtles all the way down. There exists a version of the L4 Microkernel that has been verified by an automated proof checker that it implements its advertised interface. To build a secure, proven correct system, you need to do the same for the proof-checker, compiler and any hardware the system will run on. Unless you are buying a mainframe, no computer system is guaranteed to operate as advertised. Mainframes do every calculation twice because the hardware can fail at any time.

My point bringing up copyright law is that modern consumer computers can't be proven correct. Not only are they not guaranteed to work properly, they often have undocumented features built into the hardware and firmware. We have to trust that these features will only be used for censorship and not subverting any popular crypto-currency.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:03:09 PM

Solidcoins have been there for about 10 days. In 10 days from now, the amount of solidcoins will have doubled.

The demand for solidcoins comes from a fraction of Bitcoin users, that are convinced to buy solidcoins. We do not need to understand the exact causes that drive them to buy solidcoins ; it is sufficient to observe that in the absence of new compelling arguments, this fraction will probably remain constant.

The number of bitcoin users does not double in an interval of 10 days ; its growth is much slower. Therefore the demand for solicoins will not grow as fast as the supply. This leads to a predictable price decrease.

The above argument assumes that the value of solidcoins is linked to a real economy, and is not influenced by speculation.
However, since most of the value actually results from speculation, we can expect the price decrease to be strongly amplified.

+1 Very well written and constructed argument. AGREED! Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:12:08 PM

+1 Very well written and constructed argument. AGREED! Grin

well, this is another reason why I do not invest in these alternate blockchains...

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:22:11 PM

... Modern computers are simply too insecure to handle a cryptocurrency. I predict that secure, proven correct on pain of liability, computers of equivalent complexity will take generations (or about 150 years) to develop.

40 years is not a long time. There was about 400 years between the industrial revolution and the printing press. The printing press allowed ideas to be widely disseminated cheaply. Copyright law was invented to curtail 'piracy'. I suspect the agricultural revolution took a similar amount of time to convert society from groups of nomads to people with permanent settlements. We are barely scratching the surface of what computers can do: for the most part, they are still emulating the older analog technologies.

The reason I think a secure computer system will take so long is that it is turtles all the way down. There exists a version of the L4 Microkernel that has been verified by an automated proof checker that it implements its advertised interface. To build a secure, proven correct system, you need to do the same for the proof-checker, compiler and any hardware the system will run on. Unless you are buying a mainframe, no computer system is guaranteed to operate as advertised. Mainframes do every calculation twice because the hardware can fail at any time.

My point bringing up copyright law is that modern consumer computers can't be proven correct. Not only are they not guaranteed to work properly, they often have undocumented features built into the hardware and firmware. We have to trust that these features will only be used for censorship and not subverting any popular crypto-currency.

I basically agree with you...especially regarding the need to build on a trusted hardware and firmware platform...open source hardware is very important.  For the same reasons that bitcoin could only work as an open source project, a truly secure computing platform needs to be built on an open hardware and firmware platform (where you don't have to trust anyone, you can verify for yourself that the system is secure).  As for the hardware behaving correctly, fault tolerance and error correction can be built into the software that runs on top of the cheap hardware.  It might not be possible to prove that such a system is 100% correct in its implementation as a result, but a 99.999% probability of correctness may be sufficient for most applications.

Operating System research tends to take a bottom up approach to the problem...I think the community of language researchers actually have a lot more to say about how to build truly secure systems...one of my favorite quotes is:

''Operating System: An operating system is a collection of things that don't fit into a language. There shouldn't be one.'' – Dan Ingalls, in an article in Byte Magazine, 1981.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 03:25:50 AM

It's actually very necessarily to increase the coin count quickly early on, so that the price per coin remains manageable over the next year. I think the amount of inflation is taken into account in current price, but who knows. This is part of the reason for the limited diff increases for a volatile mining situation at the start.

If we get to the situation where BTC disappears and a SC is worth $100 USD (based on Bitcoin economy dividing into the limited SC) then it's going to be a tricky situation. Sure everyone likes "big numbers" especially if they've invested in it but I think it will encourage a lot more hoarding than we are seeing now. You need a certain amount of the currency to be liquid to be able to conduct trade in it. If most people are treating SC like gold then we will hit a liquidity problem.

The reason I made SC isn't for an investment vehicle, it's for an online trading medium. If people can get wealthy investing then I'm glad for them but we still want most of it being liquid.

There are still some things which may end up changing in SC depending upon a few factors as we get more data. I'm not completely against a small inflation amount when liquidity becomes a problem for example. Nothing massive, about 1% coin base per year. Just enough to encourage more liquidity. If you don't adapt to problems as they appear you are destined to fail (ala Bitcoin). No decision is going to be made lightly though, and we'll get a lot of smart minds working on it.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:28:23 AM

If we get to the situation where BTC disappears and a SC is worth $100 USD (based on Bitcoin economy dividing into the limited SC) then it's going to be a tricky situation.

Hmmm, tricky yes. But, what I'm actually more worried about at that point is figuring out how to obtain my bacon when every pig is able to escape my grasp, given their newly sprouted wings.
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 06:05:50 AM

If we get to the situation where BTC disappears and a SC is worth $100 USD (based on Bitcoin economy dividing into the limited SC) then it's going to be a tricky situation.

Hmmm, tricky yes. But, what I'm actually more worried about at that point is figuring out how to obtain my bacon when every pig is able to escape my grasp, given their newly sprouted wings.

I was somehow unsatisfied with coinhunter quoting me but not answering me, at least not with logical arguments.
Thank you for illustrating that :-)

shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:03:08 AM

Disclaimer: I do not support the views in this article. Have a read and enjoy!  Cheesy

LINK: http://solidcoin.info/solidcoin-ready-for-bitcoin-collapse.php

Wow!  Goebbels would have been proud.

And offering bounties to spam links to this FUD propaganda... What a scum act...

Will it be xrumer next?

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:13:20 AM

I'm in love. Smiley

I've been making that argument to people for a good twenty years. And the same applies to computers themselves in a lot of ways, honestly. The notion of how the building blocks of a machine interconnect, for example, that's been almost a constant. Minor improvements here and there. Never any complete rethinking of how stuff works.

Starting over as close to possible as from scratch would indeed require a lot of effort and investment but it's one of those things that if it works... would just change everything. And pay accordingly.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Lolcust

Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:57:24 AM

Can someone explain to me what the mybitcoin even has to do with solidcoin's "modifications" ?

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
ThomasV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 11:08:29 AM

Can someone explain to me what the mybitcoin even has to do with solidcoin's "modifications" ?

What? did you not read the first paragraph ?
The FBI is involved in the development of Bitcoin, therefore they have installed backdoors in the daemon.
These backdoors have been used by the hackerz.
Solocoin is safe because the backdoodrs have been removed by Coinhunter

it all makes sense!

Lolcust

Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 11:10:49 AM

What? did you not read the first paragraph ?
The FBI is involved in the development of Bitcoin, therefore they have installed backdoors in the daemon.
These backdoors have been used by the hackerz.
Solocoin is safe because the backdoodrs have been removed by Coinhunter

it all makes sense!

Why do cospiracy theorists involve FBI and CIA always ? Belorussian KGB has so much more shique Smiley

Anyway, it seems like the solidcoin security is "protection from a relatively unlikely (for bitcoin) quirk associated with huge drop in minepower" and "lots of FUD"

I am not impressed, and I am an easily impressionable person.

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: