Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:43:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World wide power outage  (Read 4731 times)
Joohansson (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:30:51 PM

What would happen to bitcoin if the planet for some astronomically small chance got a world wide power outage for a day? Would the network and block chain survive such crash or would everything get irreversibly messed up?
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:52:50 PM

What would happen to bitcoin if the planet for some astronomically small chance got a world wide power outage for a day? Would the network and block chain survive such crash or would everything get irreversibly messed up?
The only way this could happen is by a solar flare and then we'd have more things to worry about, for instance that all electronic devices just got fried.

mtnminer

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:41:22 PM

Yes, in the event of a world wide power outage, bitcoin would be the least of your worries!  It is then time to Lock and Load, the old reliable AK with all the ammo you purchased while your miners were running!  That would be TEOTAWAKI (the end of the world as we all know it!)  Yes, I was a y2ker and I would have survived no matter what happened!!
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:50:52 PM

As above, if only for one day, then when the power came back, the bitcoin network would return and resume exactly where it left off.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 07:38:11 PM

The only way this could happen is by a solar flare and then we'd have more things to worry about, for instance that all electronic devices just got fried.

Agreed.

2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 11:29:21 PM

What about if the US Government shut down the internet same thing?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
rix5

Activity: 271

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:39:48 AM

in case of global powerotage btc would be the last to think of. I would be more concerned with the hundreds of nuclear plants melting down because the cooling would stop. Global poweroutage is an extinction-event. Btc is not relevant in that scenario.
procrypto

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Shitcoin Maximalist

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:58:29 AM

You'd also have real difficulty getting at the electronic funds in your regular bank account. (Not to mention the whole apocalyptic scenario described above)

Junk silver stackers would be a ok though. (apart from the meltdown of civilization as we know it)
2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:59:11 AM

in case of global powerotage btc would be the last to think of. I would be more concerned with the hundreds of nuclear plants melting down because the cooling would stop. Global poweroutage is an extinction-event. Btc is not relevant in that scenario.

I hate nuke plants but on most the backup generators should kick on

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:21:49 AM

Dollars would probably be long gone as well, the currency of choice would be ammo meds and weapons, I doubt that many store owners would be willing to exchange their food for worthless papers knowing they could be stuck without new arrivals for months.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

in a world wide power outage,
FIAT=useless
cryptocurrency=useless
gold=useless
guy with a shotgun=gets anything he wants.....

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
KeyserSozeMC

Activity: 742

I'm dying.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 01:25:24 AM

That solar flame happened already 24h ago. We're exepting it hit the earth. I'm not trolling.
Google it up

Hey, smexy. Don't waste your time. Time's precious.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:53:18 AM

We'd have more serious things to worry about than bitcoin not working for day ....
ineedit

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:41:32 AM

It would never happen without man going back to the Stone Age.

Any catastrophe large enough to take down power on a global scale would also wipe out the majority of mankind.

Our planet has never experienced a solar flare strong enough to do it. A nuclear explosion big enough to do it would irradiate the whole earth, and I am not sure that such a device could be built. Global Nuclear war might cause a few problem but if it happened then I doubt if I would be caring if Bitcoin still worked, ditto the eruption of a super volcano.

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
jballs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 08:51:47 AM

in case of global powerotage btc would be the last to think of. I would be more concerned with the hundreds of nuclear plants melting down because the cooling would stop. Global power outage is an extinction-event. Btc is not relevant in that scenario.

I hate nuke plants but on most the backup generators should kick on

Wish it were so but not sure it is. Backup generators (if they were not fried by a EMP/solar flare) can sustain for awhile but they need a lot of fuel. All fuel runs from and to the refineries by the grid power. One would hope the powers that be would find a way to keep them all running indefinitely but it is a leap of faith, there are a lot of them.

I live near the largest one in the US, just outside of Phoenix. Not much water so they run the city's sewage through the reactors to cool. Clever (and kind of the nastiest place on earth if you add it all up) but I can't help but think if the grid was down for a long time there is no way they could run the whole plant and the sewage pumping and everything attached to that without a weak link somewhere.

Hope we never have to find out. We are very much dependent on the grid, but elsewhere I saw a thread that they are launching cubesats for bitcoin transactions so that is a good start on redundancy.

H A R A                [  WHITEPAPER   │   LITEPAPER  ]                H A R A  
Empowering billions through data one byte at a time
TWITTER     GITHUB          REDDIT     FACEBOOK     BITCOINTALKLINKEDIN
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 08:53:29 AM

Op id get my glock and come hide out with you, one way or another.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:39:45 PM

The longer the outage, the greater affect on the network. When everyone's nodes fired up again, all they'd notice was a long period of low hashrate (no blocks solved) which would then reduce network difficulty at the next retarget. This could reduce difficulty by up to a maximum of 75%.

tl;dr A long term world wide electricity outage would reduce the network mining difficulty by up to 75% when if the electricity got turned back on.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:45:51 PM

The longer the outage, the greater affect on the network. When everyone's nodes fired up again, all they'd notice was a long period of low hashrate (no blocks solved) which would then reduce network difficulty at the next retarget. This could reduce difficulty by up to a maximum of 75%.

tl;dr A long term world wide electricity outage would reduce the network mining difficulty by up to 75% when if the electricity got turned back on.

The world as we know it would end, but network difficulty down 75% - yeah!!
Joohansson (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:28:06 PM

Haha great reading =) Anyway, I only meant in a very technical way how bitcoin network works and how much it relies on active online nodes but I think that has been answered, thanks. I totally agree that bitcoin would be least of all worries! I can recommend the movie "Aftermath: Population Zero" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1264068/.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:45:21 PM

Haha great reading =) Anyway, I only meant in a very technical way how bitcoin network works and how much it relies on active online nodes but I think that has been answered, thanks. I totally agree that bitcoin would be least of all worries! I can recommend the movie "Aftermath: Population Zero" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1264068/.

Remember that the blockchain is saved on hundreds or thousands of places around the world. If you turn off your computer and let it sit a day and then turn it back on then bitcoin starts back up just fine. Imagine if everybody happened to turn off their computers for a day - there would be a large gap between two blocks, and people waiting for confirms would be a little impatient, but it would pick back up right where it let off.

The one issue I can think of is that as people restart their systems it might take some time for the whole network to coalesce, so you might want to wait for a few extra confirmations for important transactions done right when you restart.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: