Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:11:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to go on a spending spree at Overstock!  (Read 5506 times)
T.Stuart (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:44:52 AM

Overstock seems to cost about 25% more than amazon or ebay.

Bitcoins seem to appreciate in value 100s of times more than fiat currency! Spend a few at Overstock!  Wink

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 09:07:32 AM

Bitcoins seem to appreciate in value 100s of times more than fiat currency! Spend a few at Overstock!  Wink

You're saying I should spend potential future millions on stuff which is overpriced now?

Society doesn't scale.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:22:50 AM

You're saying I should spend potential future millions on stuff which is overpriced now?

This is common misconception. Like that 10k btc pizza. You buy pizza for 10k bitcoins and its ok. But wrong is to not buy back your bitcoins right away for the same $ price you bought that pizza. If you think they will be worth more later that is.

xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:08:30 AM

I bought several handbags!  So excited!  They were on sale 90% off too!  And I used the small amount of coin I still had on Gox.  That is one way to get rid of coins left there!  Grin

Please could you post a picture of those handbags when you can?  Smiley

Got a few different styles of these.  They will make nice gifts too.  I know most guys won't care though. Wink

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Handbags/Gigi-Hill,/brand,/111/dept.html

I think "chick buys handbags with bitcoin" is pretty newsworthy in itself Smiley

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:21:23 AM

Can't wait for overstock to announce how many bitcoins they took on the first day. I predict it will be enormous, enough to cause a boost in btc share price.
skivrmt

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:09:53 PM

I've been waiting for that as well, but I'm not they will announce that anytime soon.  They -may- announce that at their next earnings call.

Helps Coinbase though with press also:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/01/overstockcom-coinbase-bitcoin.html

Coinbase up to 771,000 customers.  Wonder if they means signed up for an account or actually purchased at least a fraction of a coin?
T.Stuart (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:21:46 PM

No economy = lower gains. Getting the economy going is part of the package!

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
begcoin

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 01:22:08 PM

Just had a look, seems like lots of crap I wouldnt want to buy anyway.

do you have emergency food storage yet?

Yep, not sure why thats relevant?  Have a few months worth of food I rotate a handful of times a year locally.

I only shop at aliexpress and amazon online these days, overstocks a joke.
T.Stuart (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:23:13 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/01/09/overstock-bitcoin/

CEO says:

“Our first purchase with Bitcoin was a $2700 patio set,” says Byrne from Salt Lake City, where the company is based. In the first 90 minutes of Bitcoin sales, the site had received about 150 orders. Byrne says the company’s rough estimate is that 1% of its sales in 2014, or approximately $13 million, will come in the form of Bitcoin. “It’s a wild guess,” he says.

Respect to the guy for his technique of locking 40 people in a room to get it up and running in 10 days!

Let's show Byrne how to, er, "choo choo, mfs!!!" (as they put it in the speculation thread)    Smiley

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
skivrmt

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:25:23 PM

Yep, not sure why thats relevant?  Have a few months worth of food I rotate a handful of times a year locally.

Exactly why Overstock has a market cap of $700MM and Amazon has one of $183B!  Overstock is hanging on, and they are actually profitable, but there's a reason we can't find much we want on there, it's basically a surplus shop now.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:27:28 PM

Exactly why Overstock has a market cap of $700MM and Amazon has one of $183B!  Overstock is hanging on, and they are actually profitable, but there's a reason we can't find much we want on there, it's basically a surplus shop now.

well.... it is "OVERSTOCK".

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:37:06 PM

Classic move to beat other online retailers

1) Announce in December Overstock will launch in June
2) Launch in January

That's what I call strategy Smiley
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:55:44 PM

I will buy everything I would have normally bought from Amazon on Overstock if the price difference isn't too great. (with BTC). You have to understand if people do this then the value of your other BTC holding goes up and the economy develops very quickly.

Unfortunately it's not enabled for international yet but hopefully soon.
pixl8tr

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:58:21 PM

Didn't buy much, just some bath towels and a toaster over I am planning to turn into a reflow oven.    Most of the item on there seemed to be of low quality  but, there were some gems if you searched a while.  I think if Amazon  starts accepting BTC, I'll need to start mining again.  ;-)

who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; finger; bjobs; uptime; strip;. grab; mount; yes; umount; sleep; brun;
Donations: 18ByQvDUmaMKkQbYvUWmnPSu9BWeNxVMoc
skivrmt

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:24:02 PM

Didn't buy much, just some bath towels and a toaster over I am planning to turn into a reflow oven.    Most of the item on there seemed to be of low quality  but, there were some gems if you searched a while.  I think if Amazon  starts accepting BTC, I'll need to start mining again.  ;-)

Obviously we're all hopefully Amazon one day does start using Bitcoin.  Companies like these certainly can, they don't ship immediately so can wait for the desired confirmations that will satisfy them.  And maybe a user with a credit card back can have 0 or 1 confirmations and still be ok if close to shipping cut off time.

But Amazon offers its own sponsored credit card.  They give 3% cash back, and most likely receive some sort of cut back from Chase, the issuing bank.  I still think if more online retailers offer it Amazon will.  Jeff B. is an innovative thinker and likes to be ahead of the curve.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:12:54 PM

I bought a Cold Steel heavy duty sword cane. Smiley

I was going to buy it on amazon (since I have some amazon credit built up), but they mysteriously stopped selling it there *sigh*

I noticed it on Overstock, and at a pretty comparable price to Amazon's, so I bought it there instead Smiley

I would love if Amazon accepted bitcoins directly instead of having to buy amazon gift cards through gyft.com
T.Stuart (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:28:52 PM

I was going to buy it on amazon (since I have some amazon credit built up), but they mysteriously stopped selling it there *sigh*

I noticed it on Overstock, and at a pretty comparable price to Amazon's, so I bought it there instead Smiley

I would love if Amazon accepted bitcoins directly instead of having to buy amazon gift cards through gyft.com

A photo of that sword cane when it arrives would be great if possible.  Smiley

▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:06:57 PM

A photo of that sword cane when it arrives would be great if possible.  Smiley

Hell, a link would be enough for starters already! ;-)

Ente
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:25:45 PM

Sorry all, here's a link Smiley  watch the videos! Smiley

http://www.coldsteel.com/Sword-Canes.aspx

Hell for the matter, if you like hacking and slashing, watch all the Cold Steel videos.  Smiley  My favorites are when they're hacking up a hog corpse.  Then you think, "holy shit that would fuck up my rib cage!" (or leave a giant gash in you, etc.

They make good knives, and they prove it via video!   Some people make fun of the owner since he's short/stocky/husky and talks funny, but his swords/knives kick ass!  If you can't tell, I love Cold Steel Smiley

If you ever watch a video of him knife-fighting, you learn quickly that he knows his shit.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:39:40 PM

Sorry all, here's a link Smiley  watch the videos! Smiley

http://www.coldsteel.com/Sword-Canes.aspx

Hell for the matter, if you like hacking and slashing, watch all the Cold Steel videos.  Smiley  My favorites are when they're hacking up a hog corpse.  Then you think, "holy shit that would fuck up my rib cage!" (or leave a giant gash in you, etc.

They make good knives, and they prove it via video!   Some people make fun of the owner since he's short/stocky/husky and talks funny, but his swords/knives kick ass!  If you can't tell, I love Cold Steel Smiley

If you ever watch a video of him knife-fighting, you learn quickly that he knows his shit.

Thanks for the link and all! :-)

Ente
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: