Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Forum Modification  (Read 1637 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 06:29:22 AM

If we want to genuinely fit the bitcoin forum to the bitcoin economy and ways of doing things, would you modify the codebase of the forum we're using or migrate to a forum software written from the ground up?

Also, it seem that the license for SMF isn't free. http://www.simplemachines.org/about/copyright.php

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 06:50:24 AM

I like SMF. What is it missing?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 06:54:26 AM

I don't know. I thought we might need to carve up marketplace forum to be more amicable to facilitating economic exchange like reputation tracking, cryptographic identify verification(what's the word here?).

Anonymous

March 03, 2011, 06:56:13 AM

I don't know. I thought we might need to carve up marketplace forum to be more amicable to facilitating economic exchange like reputation tracking, cryptographic identify verification(what's the word here?).

#bitcoin-otc on irc.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 06:57:11 AM

#bitcoin-otc on irc.

Most people don't know how to use IRC, let along cryptographic technology.

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2011, 08:05:52 AM

Well there would be a few things I'd love to see, like the ability to ignore sub-forums or subscribe to specific ones (not interested in marketplace or language specific stuff, just dev), daily summaries via mail would be so great (but they would be available in SMF too, if it were not for the spam problem), limiting signatures (not yet a problem, but it really gets annoying once the signatures are longer than the threads), ...
I'll find more ^^

Oh and Tapatalk support would be nice, and would enable us mobile users to browse and respond from Android and iPhone ^^

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 08:36:58 AM

Well there would be a few things I'd love to see, like the ability to ignore sub-forums or subscribe to specific ones (not interested in marketplace or language specific stuff, just dev), daily summaries via mail would be so great (but they would be available in SMF too, if it were not for the spam problem), limiting signatures (not yet a problem, but it really gets annoying once the signatures are longer than the threads), ...
I'll find more ^^

Oh and Tapatalk support would be nice, and would enable us mobile users to browse and respond from Android and iPhone ^^

How about paying rent for the signature space in bitcoins? Charge more for vertical space than horizontal space. Determine the golden content-to-signature ratio and adjust prices based on that. If the ratio is under the golden ratio, charge less. If the ratio is over golden ratio, charge more. If someone doesn't post in a while and forgets to pay the signature rent, just turn his signature off for all his posts until he returns and pays the rent.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 11:41:19 AM

I'll find more ^^

How about paying rent for the signature space in bitcoins? Charge more for vertical space than horizontal space. Determine the golden content-to-signature ratio and adjust prices based on that. If the ratio is under the golden ratio, charge less. If the ratio is over golden ratio, charge more. If someone doesn't post in a while and forgets to pay the signature rent, just turn his signature off for all his posts until he returns and pays the rent.

This just sounds contrived to me. Not everything needs to involve financial transactions.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 11:58:28 AM

This just sounds contrived to me. Not everything needs to involve financial transactions.

Signatures are just personal advertising space for the user. The forum is currently free to use. If they charged for signatures, the site could be economically sustainable.
Anonymous

March 03, 2011, 11:59:56 AM

There is no spam on witcoin.com.    Cheesy

the forum seems ok as it is.  Id like to see what a bitcoin social network would look like Smiley
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
March 03, 2011, 02:02:16 PM

Although the forum has the advantage of reputation by post history, I think some other platform could be better for trading. Like biddingpond.com.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
Dobry Den

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2011, 01:30:11 AM

Although the forum has the advantage of reputation by post history, I think some other platform could be better for trading. Like biddingpond.com.

Since Bitcoin.org is the hub of Bitcoin, all of the ideas in my head for, say, making a market, at least had the feature of letting you connect your account there to your account here. There's a lot of value in someone's Bitcoin.org forum history that shouldn't be lost just because of a market transaction elsewhere.

For example, BiddingPond could generate a random string that you'd temporary stash in your bitcoin.org forum profile (like the ICQ box). Then you'd let it know of your profile update and it scrapes your profile to verify the connection.

saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:38:48 AM

W

if tapatalk is to complicated maybe frorum runner?

theres a free tapatalk app on android called "convo" and forumrunner also comes with a "lite"-version Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: