Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:15:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise fans from Avalons, any ideas of cooling and bringing the noise down  (Read 1371 times)
maupert (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:50:55 PM

Hi,

I received two Avalons from Chine this week. Put them in my basement next to my KNC and started mining.
Only problem is, compared to the KNC they are very noisy. Can hear them up till the first floor bedroom.

I can tell, the wife is not happy. Angry

To keep my machines running I was thinking of cooling them another way so the fans run slower reducing the noise level.

Has anybody any good ideas of is there a working solution?
I was checking out gpu water coolers, they might do the trick.

Thx in advance
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:57:27 PM

How much are you looking to spend? Water is expensive yet efficient, but those avalons are hot and quiet/cheap air cooling might not even be possible. They only dump 1kw a piece, right? That really doesn't seem too ridiculous to me, not for the size of the thing. Are you sure the fans aren't just cheap Chinese screamers? Would high end PC case fans fit?

I could make some comparatively cheap and simle custom waterblocks for your avalons, like I have for custom gpu chipsets in the past. You'll need to spend a lot extra on tubing, fittings, heat exchangers, and pumps etc.

The heat could be useful though, you could plum the water to another room and just mount the radiator there. You'd need a lot less fan speed through a radiator.  

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
AmericanBit

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:38:55 AM

Hi,

I received two Avalons from Chine this week. Put them in my basement next to my KNC and started mining.
Only problem is, compared to the KNC they are very noisy. Can hear them up till the first floor bedroom.

To keep my machines running I was thinking of cooling them another way so the fans run slower reducing the noise level.

Thx in advance

Yeah I have an idea...why dont you locate your balls, put them back in your sack and tell your wife to cook you some dinner. That poor schmuck that thru his hard drive away with 10 million in bitcoins stopped mining because his wife complained too. Some poor bastard i bought my avalon from sold it to me and all of his bitcoins for 100$ each in september because his wife was bitching. So if I were you, Id tell your wife to fuckin deal with it or you will find someone who will...best free advice youll ever get
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:41:22 AM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Yeah I have an idea...why dont you locate your balls, put them back in your sack and tell your wife to cook you some dinner. That poor schmuck that thru his hard drive away with 10 million in bitcoins stopped mining because his wife complained too. Some poor bastard i bought my avalon from sold it to me and all of his bitcoins for 100$ each in september because his wife was bitching. So if I were you, Id tell your wife to fuckin deal with it or you will find someone who will...best free advice youll ever get

lmao

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:08:55 AM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Are you married? Smiley
kmarei

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:21:17 AM

Are they 80mm fans?
I know with PC fans, the larger you get, the more cfm the fan generates, at lower speed
So if they use 80mm fan
Maybe you can get 140mm fans
Try to google the model of the OEM fans, and find out what cfm they put out
Then try to find a larger fan that has similar cfm
The other benefit of larger fan that runs slower is it draws less amps
So there is a power benefit there too
Another thing to test, is with pieces of cardboard
To try to direct the most airflow straight through the heat sinks
So you want to put a piece of cardboard on either side of the fan, and direct all the air through the heat sink
Keep it for a few minutes and monitor the temp on the software
If it goes down you can use the transparent sheets they use for overhead projectors instead
Because I don't recommend using cardboard that's flammable Smiley
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:38:12 AM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Are you married? Smiley

Hell no, the divorce rate is 50% in America...and Ill be damned if some broad is going to take 50% of my shit as well as future payments while shes banging some other dude. Marriage is the worst business decision you can ever make. Im not bringing kids into this shithole so what is the point...Plus I like some flavor in my life, marriage is a nightmare for 75% of guys cause chicks are crazy. Once you get married you lose all control. Why do you think so many guys kill their wives instead of divorce? Its actually easier than divorce, thats why
repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:43:26 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2014, 12:26:43 PM by repairguy

Lol
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:06:42 PM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Are you married? Smiley

Hell no, the divorce rate is 50% in America...and Ill be damned if some broad is going to take 50% of my shit as well as future payments while shes banging some other dude. Marriage is the worst business decision you can ever make. Im not bringing kids into this shithole so what is the point...Plus I like some flavor in my life, marriage is a nightmare for 75% of guys cause chicks are crazy. Once you get married you lose all control. Why do you think so many guys kill their wives instead of divorce? Its actually easier than divorce, thats why

I guessed you weren't married. Didn't guess the rest of the response though Smiley

Sure some people are happily married .... somewhere Wink
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:17:25 PM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Are you married? Smiley

I guessed you weren't married. Didn't guess the rest of the response though Smiley

Of course...a broken clock is right twice a day too. I just dont like the odds. If you were in Vegas playing blackjack, and the dealer says "ok, if you lose this next hand, you will pay us now and for the next 5 years". Would you walk away or play?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:19:59 PM

Hi,

Thx in advance

Are you married? Smiley

Of course...a broken clock is right twice a day too. I just dont like the odds. If you were in Vegas playing blackjack, and the dealer says "ok, if you lose this next hand, you will pay us now and for the next 5 years". Would you walk away or play?

I don't gamble actually, gambling seems stupid to me, just a place to hand over your money. Probably how a marriage sounds to you Smiley
repairguy

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:30:20 PM

I don't gamble actually, gambling seems stupid to me, just a place to hand over your money. Probably how a marriage sounds to you Smiley

Marriage is a gamble, The reason so many people loose is they don't know their wives or don't let their wife get to know them before they get married.  When you really know the person you are committing to the odds are so far in your favor, it is a win no matter what.
repairguy

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:52:43 PM

Problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9cj66lOprs
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:03:14 PM

hahaha yep Walter White gets it...and if he werent married he would of been rich too...but instead hes dead. See what can happen?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 03:17:07 AM

hahaha yep Walter White gets it...and if he werent married he would of been rich too...but instead hes dead. See what can happen?

WW died happy, he looked almost "enlightened" in the final scene Smiley
AmericanBit

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:12:41 PM

I dont know if hes dead...i never saw a funeral and there is no money in a dead walter white.

AmericanBit

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:16:46 PM

This is why you dont get married...its a piece of paper, and it can cost you everything!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=trueview-instream&v=lZTOT6DKfZ8
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:53:05 AM

I dont know if hes dead...i never saw a funeral and there is no money in a dead walter white.

Nope, they won't revive him .... this isn't "Dallas" fortunately Smiley moving onto "Better Call Saul" now. We'll never see WW alive again. I don't think a prequel about him would be very interesting. All those chemistry lessons at school Wink
ProudMiner

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:44:54 AM

Maybe something like this can save your marriage  Wink

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/water-cooling-kits-for-Avalon-II-BTC-miner-BTC-200Gh-s-miner-BTC-mining-machine-BTC/1578094707.html

goggles1200

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:11:17 PM

Is it because of the fans in the case making the noise or just the cheap fans?

I've been trying to find out of I can get an avalon shipped without the case because of the weight or at the very least, when I get it, I'll take everything out and build a custom cooling rig around it. 1KW is a lot of heat to dissipate, without water cooling, I figure a set of 120MM fans in a push-pull setup  should help out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: