Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:11:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin after a major catastrophe  (Read 1770 times)
Surawit (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:00:08 PM

What will happen to the blockchain in case of some global catastrophe that knocked off the power grid? Or even just a lot of the miners internet access?

Does anyone think there would be any interest in printed copies, so we can continue to use bitcoin after such an event? I have begun experimenting with this on my home printer. The optimum result seems to be using hexadecimal in size 6 font to save space.... I'm out of ink now, so can't continue optimising till tomorrow, but I believe if it was printed professionally the whole thing could fit on a few modest sized volumes. When you have a physical copy, you can keep it in a safe in case something does happen.

If you would be interested in purchasing a copy please message me... If we get enough people together we should be able to involve a publisher for cheap.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shortline

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:05:57 PM

Homebrew power and mesh networks seem to be a more likely solution. Printed copies can be... er... copied, which kinda ruins the point of a cryptocurrency.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:08:31 PM

qr-codes
Clients running on a graphic calculator
solar powered fpga miners
community networks
magneto optical storage
mobile datacenters
biofuel generators
carrier-less modulated light network technology

pick a few  Wink
if any technology would survive such a disaster it's gonna be bitcoin.
Surawit (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2011, 09:17:11 PM

qr-codes
community networks
magneto optical storage
mobile datacenters
biofuel generators

pick a few  Wink
All this technology... none of it is proven to last as well as a physical book does. Think about the earliest computers from the 1930s... Even though that was only 60 years ago there are now hardly any working ones, and even fewer people who know how to use them. Compare that to books: Libraries and museums have books that are literally centuries old, and everyone on the planet would know how to use them without special training.

As for security, to prevent copying you would obviously need a secure or secret location to stash them. I am thinking of a set of volumes, like encyclopaedia brittanica but with the blockchain as the content. Maybe you could also encrypt the text so its not obvious what it is. Anyway the advantage of seperate volumes is that way for most days you would only need to use the last volume and the rest could stay safe at home.
BitVapes

Activity: 140

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:24:37 PM

Encode it in wood or stone or long term storage Cheesy  Transfer blockchain on usb drive via p2p carrier pigeon network.

...for large transfers, avian carriers are capable of high average throughput when carrying flash memory devices. Also, during the last 20 years, the information density of storage media and thus the bandwidth of an Avian Carrier has increased 3 times faster than the bandwidth of the Internet

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:40:20 PM

All this technology... none of it is proven to last as well as a physical book does. Think about the earliest computers from the 1930s... Even though that was only 60 years ago there are now hardly any working ones, and even fewer people who know how to use them. Compare that to books: Libraries and museums have books that are literally centuries old, and everyone on the planet would know how to use them without special training.

Compare apples to apples.  The earliest books probably weren't permanent either.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

qr-codes
community networks
magneto optical storage
mobile datacenters
biofuel generators

pick a few  Wink

As for security, to prevent copying you would obviously need a secure or secret location to stash them. I am thinking of a set of volumes, like encyclopaedia brittanica but with the blockchain as the content. Maybe you could also encrypt the text so its not obvious what it is. Anyway the advantage of seperate volumes is that way for most days you would only need to use the last volume and the rest could stay safe at home.

Well, yes bitcoin depends on computers and there is nothing we can do about it.
But it depends on how severe you scale a hypothetical SHTF scenario. My proposal (i think) would even work in a madmax style thing. If you go even further (goosebumps) you reach a point where you would ask yourself if man would even survive it. And even most dystopic stories do not go this far... at least I can't come up with something.

If there would be no chance of producing working electronics at any date bitcoin would die out. But this depends on the level of sophistication technology would recover to. Blockchains can be saved with various techniques and can be recovered by electron microscopy from almost any data carrier. Vacuum chambers are relatively easy to construct and can be used to bootstrap almost any hightech industry.

Saving blockchains in a low density format wouldn't be feasible imo.    
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:01:46 AM

What will happen to the blockchain in case of some global catastrophe that knocked off the power grid? Or even just a lot of the miners internet access?

We'll lets play this scenario...

If at least 2 blockchains have a clean shutdown then everything is good to go as soon as power is restored.

I suspect this post is in jest... but... if not... why not save some trees and look into this:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/92286-m-disc-is-a-dvd-made-out-of-stone-that-lasts-1000-years

If you don't want to shell out the cash... you could just pop it on a DVD-R ... they should last a good 5 years under proper conditions.

Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:04:30 AM

Encode it in wood or stone or long term storage Cheesy  

was that routed by hand? that is awesome!

wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:07:57 AM

Homebrew power and mesh networks seem to be a more likely solution. Printed copies can be... er... copied, which kinda ruins the point of a cryptocurrency.

Um... The block chain is already public and thousands of copies exist, if not hundreds of thousands... it's intended to be repeatedly copied in normal use.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
bcforum

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 05:16:39 AM

The biggest problem with a global catastrophe will be insuring the block chain doesn't get broken into five or six diverging chains. A hardcopy is all well and good, but it would exacerbate the problem of divergence. Hey, I found a new block! Now I have to print it out and mail it to everyone that is mining...

If you found this post useful, feel free to share the wealth: 1E35gTBmJzPNJ3v72DX4wu4YtvHTWqNRbM
Gerken

Activity: 126

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 02:14:49 PM

My proposal (i think) would even work in a madmax style thing.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2011, 02:52:11 PM

Yes?

But no I won't attempt to set up a rig in the Sahara desert to prove it.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: