Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:05:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock.com's News on Accepting Bitcoin, Underwhelming Price Boost.  (Read 5264 times)
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:22:45 AM

Of course it's not true. The guy was obviously joking. Even if the feds were dumb enough to do this, they couldn't legally, because the legal process hasn't completed.

They had said as much earlier. Then again, I was amazed to learn that in my own country, the Netherlands, the government does regularly sell seized goods before the legal process has completed. If the defendants are acquitted, they get back the amount the government got when it sold their possessions. The government tends to do that for bulky goods, good with highly variable prices, or if the costs of safe storage make it worthwhile to sell. In the case I enquired about it was a bunch of BTC seized from FBTC Exchange, which they sold because it was so volatile. I called the public prosecutor's office, and they explained the policy to me.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Romyen

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:43:55 AM

Of course it's not true. The guy was obviously joking. Even if the feds were dumb enough to do this, they couldn't legally, because the legal process hasn't completed.

They had said as much earlier. Then again, I was amazed to learn that in my own country, the Netherlands, the government does regularly sell seized goods before the legal process has completed. If the defendants are acquitted, they get back the amount the government got when it sold their possessions. The government tends to do that for bulky goods, good with highly variable prices, or if the costs of safe storage make it worthwhile to sell. In the case I enquired about it was a bunch of BTC seized from FBTC Exchange, which they sold because it was so volatile. I called the public prosecutor's office, and they explained the policy to me.

Refer to the following link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset_forfeiture . Sale of forfeited assets is handled by the U.S. Marshals Service: http://www.justice.gov/marshals/assets/assets.html . It takes a while for due process to run its course, and it's too soon for this to happen.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:04:54 AM

Wow, that's bullshit. how do they get away with this? That's essentially theft, not to mention handling stolen goods lol.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:08:13 AM

It's not theft if the law says you can do it!  Cheesy Defendants do get compensation of course, if they are acquitted.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
2tights

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:05:25 PM

Wow, that's bullshit. how do they get away with this? That's essentially theft, not to mention handling stolen goods lol.

So, basically the legal system is a facade of fairness, but in practice is not. sounds like Uhmerica
Warning__3

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:39:05 PM

Finally some bigger fishes is in the game Cheesy
Just wish some of the bigger nordic companies would add bitcoin as payment Shocked

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: