Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 01:35:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of Coins to Be Minted in a Coin?  (Read 393 times)
Tansen (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:36:18 AM

Hi guys,

I've been selectively picking coins to mine, not out of nostalgia, gimmick, or whatever random reason. I've often wondered does the amount that will be minted even matter in relation to its price or future price?

I've mainly targeted coins that have been somewhat established; DGC, FST, IFC etc.

However one thing that's bothered me and I'm not sure if there is one answer to it so I wanted to grab the opinions of others on this. Is the amount to be minted on a coin matters in relation to its price present or future?

I mean if you look at it from a real life perspective yeah there is a limitation on how much money can be printed see the EUR, CAD, AUD which are some currencies who in relation hasn't printed as much as say the JPY, HKD, RNB.

I selected coins based upon this logic, the more that will be minted say the billions, the less it should be worth individually and therefore quantity matters and if the coin blocks are not low difficulty or not large enough to make worthwhile I would typically ignore it. For example I chose DGC back in the day because it was relatively low difficulty 1-3, the reward blocks were something in the realm of 15 DGC per and only a few hundred million (140M? Don't remember exact number) was going to be minted. I chose this as a primary to solo mine and I've gotten a few blocks out of it. As a back up when the DGC diff went above 3 I changed to FST for the primary reason that it was well... fast lol It was something that was established the mint count will be capped at a few billion from what I remember and the difficulty never really got above 2 the reward blocks were around 32.

Now at the time I was mining it,
DGC was trading at DGC/BTC 0.00004000~
FST was trading at FST/BTC 0.00000100~

Now at the time of writing this,

DGC is trading at DGC/BTC 0.00045000
FST is trading at FST/BTC 0.00001800

FST is something like 160M to be minted. Would anyone think it'd be reasonable since both communities have a large base behind them that they'd be relatively closer in price if the amount minted were to catch up and ignoring the preference of which is slightly more popular?

Or

Would it be more reasonable to expect that if something like InfiniteCoin gets massively popular, I mean massively, almost steals from the LTC community kind of popular that it could potentially over take something like FST and DGC despite it going to have 90Billion minted?

I understand there are tons of factors such as popularity, amount currently minted and flowing, age, certain personal preferences, however I was wondering if anyone else was speculating in the same manor?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: