Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:15:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ghash.io more likely to fork bitcoin than create a double spent 51% attack  (Read 1115 times)
stuartcharles (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:46:32 PM

Ive read about the problems of a pool having 51% of mining power but as they have most to loose by damaging the system.
Isnt it moor likely that they get frustrated by development not progressing in the direction they would like or at the speed they would like. Then creating a fork (which would have to be better as they have most to loose) as the fork is better it is accepted?

Maybe a miner with 51% isnt all bad, they certainly dont want to damage the system but they could put pressure for the much needed changes for bitcoin to scale?

Love to know your thoughts, Im no expert so maybe what i am saying isnt even possible but please comment.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:21:38 PM

It would have to be a lot better to overcome the disadvantage of being centralised.  I'd sell my ghash.io-coins as soon as I could find a buyer to increase my bitcoin holding.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:30:52 PM

its worrying they get so big, freaking PPC might take over we cant let that happen
boinc

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:42:58 PM

Yes, it's time to buy some NVC PPC and LTC.

BTC 12P9LaA7eciiPCx68qFEFarpfrF8mcrNmY
stuartcharles (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:05:25 PM

It would have to be a lot better to overcome the disadvantage of being centralised.  I'd sell my ghash.io-coins as soon as I could find a buyer to increase my bitcoin holding.

If it solved conformation times, block chain bloat, tps and centralisation. Then we would all be happy, no? so long as it was marketed well. With those problems solved there would be no limit to scale and therefore no limit to the value of bitcoin.

All im saying is we are all praying that Gavin and satoshi are working quietly somewhere on a hard fork to solve these problems. But it might not be Gavin and team or even Satoshi that solve it. it might be done through the feared 51% attack.

If these problems are not sorted out soon it wont take too many Zynga's and overstock.com's coming on board to cripple bitcoin.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:10:36 PM

All im saying is we are all praying that Gavin and satoshi are working quietly somewhere on a hard fork to solve these problems.
If Ghash.io does not like the new hardfork, they could probably create a small mess by sticking to their rules, while keeping the longest blockchain.
This is probably more of an issue than them creating a new hardfork.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
stuartcharles (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:24:00 PM

All im saying is we are all praying that Gavin and satoshi are working quietly somewhere on a hard fork to solve these problems.
If Ghash.io does not like the new hardfork, they could probably create a small mess by sticking to their rules, while keeping the longest blockchain.
This is probably more of an issue than them creating a new hardfork.

Yes its a possibility, but if Gavin and crew have any sense (which clearly they do) they will meet with the heads of the largest mining pools to get backing before trying to implement the new fork. It would be nice to think that the code is already written and they are negotiating the features and specifics right now.
Notanon

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:15:55 PM

its worrying they get so big, freaking PPC might take over we cant let that happen

Peercoin to the moon! Grin
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 08:37:39 PM

Ghash.io has provided some hints about their plans in their press release. They want to add some additional features to Bitcoin:

Our plans are to develop additional services, to help expand the use of
bitcoins. The services include, but not limited to

• A bitcoin payment system, which utilises the extended features of the bitcoin protocol. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Improvement_Proposals)
  • An escrow service, which will help secure transactions between members of the bitcoin community
  • Micro-payments aggregation, which will enable users to receive small amounts of Bitcoins from third parties.
  • Instant bitcoin payments for merchants, which will increase the share of Bitcoin e-commerce transactions in the global economy
Non-standard transactions, such as mentioned above, can not be relayed to the blockchain network, however they are still valid, and can be mined using the hashing power accumulated on GHash.IO.

Ghash.io is now in a position to force changes in the Bitcoin system, and they've announced their initial agenda.
stuartcharles (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:35:16 AM

Ghash.io has provided some hints about their plans in their press release. They want to add some additional features to Bitcoin:

Our plans are to develop additional services, to help expand the use of
bitcoins. The services include, but not limited to

• A bitcoin payment system, which utilises the extended features of the bitcoin protocol. (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_Improvement_Proposals)
  • An escrow service, which will help secure transactions between members of the bitcoin community
  • Micro-payments aggregation, which will enable users to receive small amounts of Bitcoins from third parties.
  • Instant bitcoin payments for merchants, which will increase the share of Bitcoin e-commerce transactions in the global economy
Non-standard transactions, such as mentioned above, can not be relayed to the blockchain network, however they are still valid, and can be mined using the hashing power accumulated on GHash.IO.

Ghash.io is now in a position to force changes in the Bitcoin system, and they've announced their initial agenda.

All seems positive, i hope they work with the bitcoin developers and dont try to go it alone. When you read it like that its kind of an ultimatum. We wont go to 51% but we want additional services? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: