Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:27:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WebGL Globe question  (Read 1899 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 03:49:32 AM

Let me say I LOVE the WebGL Globe:  http://www.weusecoins.com/globe-bitcoin/

I have been known to stare at it for hours, spinning it around and pondering over the ramifications of such an amazing thing. BUT I can think of something even cooler. That globe is getting a data feed, yes? Is there any way to get the history of this feed, or store the feed on a per day basis? I'd like to see this globe as it changes over time (like over the next 12 months). Such a visual would be both beautiful and effective for Bitcoin marketing purposes.

Also, is there a way to show numerical values of the spikes? I understand tall vs. short, but numbers would be nice also.

I'm not a dev, so I have no idea how to do any of this =)  Any helpers? I might be willing to pay some btc...
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 04:19:21 AM

Here is the original post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=9344.0

He says data came from:

http://dump.bitcoin.it/

I am assuming its all time data... that is all nodes that have ever existed all presented at the same time.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 01:19:34 AM

This has stopped working on my laptop. It was such a cool way to show the global spread of bitcoin. Is there a problem with the site?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 01:34:28 AM

This has stopped working on my laptop. It was such a cool way to show the global spread of bitcoin. Is there a problem with the site?

Working great for me still. Maybe your browser updated and ruined the plugin or something?
bearbones

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 01:35:51 AM

Let me say I LOVE the WebGL Globe:  http://www.weusecoins.com/globe-bitcoin/

I have been known to stare at it for hours, spinning it around and pondering over the ramifications of such an amazing thing. BUT I can think of something even cooler. That globe is getting a data feed, yes? Is there any way to get the history of this feed, or store the feed on a per day basis? I'd like to see this globe as it changes over time (like over the next 12 months). Such a visual would be both beautiful and effective for Bitcoin marketing purposes.

Also, is there a way to show numerical values of the spikes? I understand tall vs. short, but numbers would be nice also.

I'm not a dev, so I have no idea how to do any of this =)  Any helpers? I might be willing to pay some btc...

I haven't looked into the data feed for the bitcoin globe either, but what you're describing shouldn't be hard. It simply requires someone to save snapshots of said data feed, then process the data in the manners you described. Unfortunately, I'm bogged down with dev work, but I'd like to volunteer to store the snapshots, and host the tools. Would also be happy to kick in a bitcoin or two for whoever knocks this out!

Feed Ze Birds Pay and get paid for tweets
Coinapult Send Bitcoins easily over email or text message
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 01:43:36 AM

I get this: Sorry, your graphics card doesn't support WebGL
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:28:23 AM

Seems that open gl 2.x+ is a requirement for some browsers, i'd give your graphics card an update unless you've got a dinosaur that has no hopes as far as that is concerned

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2011, 03:51:08 AM

Seems that open gl 2.x+ is a requirement for some browsers, i'd give your graphics card an update unless you've got a dinosaur that has no hopes as far as that is concerned

Would Toshiba+Vista be my problem?
deslok

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 03:53:05 AM

Would Toshiba+Vista be my problem?

No your problem is likely the laptops graphics driver needing an update or flat out not supporting it, without knowing your gpu and browser i can't actually validate my suspicion though

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 12:53:59 PM

not working
IE and chrome
 Sad
deslok

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 02:00:14 PM

not working
IE and chrome
 Sad
What gpu?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2011, 11:35:18 PM

This laptop is also a Toshiba with an intel display. I also get the error "Sorry, your graphics card doesn't support WebGL"

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
deslok

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 12:47:53 AM

web gl requires open gl 2.0 or higher which the intel gma 950 (i945 chipset) does not support in any maner, unfortunatly that means a lot of "bargian" vista era laptops will not support it

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 12:50:30 AM

Good to know. It did work for awhile, anyway. This Toshiba was Win7 installed.

deslok

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 12:54:56 AM

Good to know. It did work for awhile, anyway. This Toshiba was Win7 installed.

In theory it could be done with software emulation(although anything with a gma 950 probably has a mid tier cpu at best) and newer revisions of the GMA chips should support open gl 2+, i woudln't buy anything with an igp myself still just as a word of advice...

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 01:01:13 AM

In theory it could be done with software emulation(although anything with a gma 950 probably has a mid tier cpu at best) and newer revisions of the GMA chips should support open gl 2+, i woudln't buy anything with an igp myself still just as a word of advice...

Yeah, I used to buy nicer (bleeding edge) electronics, but I got tired of two week turnaround on warranty repairs. Now I just throw them out and buy new. I back up often and thank low manufacturing standards for my cheap toys. I thank Microsoft for the lack of standardization with everything. I would buy Apple, but find it morally reprehensible =p

deslok

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 01:06:51 AM

Yeah, I used to buy nicer (bleeding edge) electronics, but I got tired of two week turnaround on warranty repairs. Now I just throw them out and buy new. I back up often and thank low manufacturing standards for my cheap toys. I thank Microsoft for the lack of standardization with everything. I would buy Apple, but find it morally reprehensible =p

Stop buying consumer and buy buisness grade, i've had 3 thinkpads(1995 model bought used 2007 model and 2010 model) guess which ones are still in service

Cussmob_CUE

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 03:54:09 AM

Is this an ISP?

I miss theglobe.com
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2011, 09:17:09 AM

Stop buying consumer and buy buisness grade, i've had 3 thinkpads(1995 model bought used 2007 model and 2010 model) guess which ones are still in service

There is no consumer/business grade distinction. Gaming pcs are among the most expensive. There is consumer/military grade, but I'm not the pentagon. Besides, what does that have to do with obsolescence? It's windows that keeps changing everything so nothing works between upgrades, such as peripherals. If a programmer can't write drivers for all the hundreds of non-standardized windows graphics, then wtf? It's not that intel is some fly-by-night outfit, is it? Like I said, I'm done with spending thousands of dollars a year on computer toys because I'm putting two children through college. I mostly use a laptop for writing now and couldn't care less if they fix the globe website so it works again. If they don't want it to work on intel chips, then that is their choice. It was probably just an oversight. It happens.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: