Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:48:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that a large online retailer is accepting, bets on who's next?  (Read 2218 times)
alumar (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 02:23:05 PM

Obvious by now everyone knows the Overstock.com surprise launch yesterday and success yielding thousands in sales in the first day. Coming from a finance background myself and working for a fortune 500 for 13 years prior, one thing that drives change is a potential at moving the needle (bottom line) is a new revenue opportunity. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when now. There will be more large retailers working with a exchange(s) to start accepting Bitcoins.

The question is, who will be the next big announcement? Or maybe the question is, who would you like to start accepting?

Additionally, why is this type of thread important? Major companies have marketing and research departments that's entire job is to vet out bottom line changing solutions. Post who you think will be next or who you would like to see accepting in the near future. We all know this can happen amazingly quick now given the overstock.com implementation.

Carter - Host of BitsBeTrippin
Original Cryptomining Channel on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/bitsbetrippin
Destiffmast

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:29:37 PM

I think if the likes of Amazon, Ebay and Rutikon (play.com) started accepting payments with Bitcoin it would suddenly change the market and everyone would know about it and educate themselves on it. Personally don't think they will any time soon, but if they do it will be great and the success of Bitcoin .
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:50:25 PM

The next obvious step would be for this large online retailer to hold on the Bitcoin that they new started accepting. Do they not have confidence in the Bitcoin currency?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 02:55:07 PM

I'm pretty sure when large retailers accept Bitcoin it's because they are getting pressure from their supply chain.

When Bitcoin really takes off in China you'll know it because suddenly out of nowhere you'll see Walmart upgrading the POS terminals to display bitcoin QR codes.
alumar (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 117

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 02:57:45 PM

The next obvious step would be for this large online retailer to hold on the Bitcoin that they new started accepting. Do they not have confidence in the Bitcoin currency?

From a finance perspective I do not agree with that statement

Long-term convergence of fiat currencies to a digital currency like Bitcoin would need to occur before that would ever happen.

Every large transaction for a physical item (short of the pre-2013) transactions like a pizza and such have been through a clearing house/exchange model. Even large entities like Gfty.com exchange bitcoins for fiat but are instantly locking in a rate with an exchange and converting the coins into cash.

Why? Because that's what pays the bills. Power companies, employee salaries ... all of the operational expenses are paid in fiat. So they are REQUIRED to convert to fiat to stay in business...

What you want is something that WILL take time to adapt and requires most of those necessity (power, water, trash, payroll etc) to accept and exchange in bitcoin, accepting it as a currency.

Until then....

We have to encourage the market that we WANT to SPEND our Bitcoins for GOODS. This will create a equilibrium of exchange for goods!

Carter - Host of BitsBeTrippin
Original Cryptomining Channel on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/bitsbetrippin
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:00:29 PM

I expect numerous third party social media apps to welcome Bitcoin as they are worst hit by chargeback.

BTC-TK

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:34:09 PM

They are still not officially accepting since it is not available for international payments (e.g. the whole world).

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:37:28 PM

They are still not officially accepting since it is not available for international payments (e.g. the whole world).

Maybe to you, but to me overstock.com accepts bitcoin. Trying to dispute that fact is just dumb. Overstock.com IS accepting bitcoin.

Coinbase and overstock are both US companies, by the way.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
BTC-TK

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:41:15 PM

Maybe to you, but to me overstock.com accepts bitcoin. Trying to dispute that fact is just dumb. Overstock.com IS accepting bitcoin.

Just seems to me that it is a little misleading and egocentric to claim that overstock now "officially" accepts BTC when they only accept it in the U.S.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
stayeduptolate

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:44:28 PM

Just seems to me that it is a little misleading and egocentric to claim that overstock now "officially" accepts BTC when they only accept it in the U.S.

weather it is 1 country or many they still accept it somewhere and as they tweeted they are working on accepting it globally.
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:49:17 PM

They "rushed" to accept BTC becasue the CEO said he didn't want anyone else to beat him to it.  They said int. acceptance is coming.  I just wonder if he knows of some other large retailer/website that was trying to beat him to it...
BTC-TK

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

weather it is 1 country or many they still accept it somewhere and as they tweeted they are working on accepting it globally.

Then once they do it would be appropriate to open this thread, imagine you clicking on a "Ebay now accepts Bitcoin!" thread in awe, going on eBay.com, selecting a beautiful golden watch only to find out after an hour long wait in support that they only accept BTC in Uganda.

I was pretty pissed since I still want that watch but I don't want to reward them for wasting my time and essentially being no different than Amazon/eBay or anyone else...

BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 03:54:37 PM

I think Amazon will be jumping on board soon, hopefully. Ebay and PayPal are buddies and PayPal hates Bitcoin so I don't see that happening. Amazon has always been at the forefront of the internet and if they are smart they will understand Bitcoin's potential.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Romyen

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:58:23 PM

Not misleading at all. Overstock is a U.S. company that operates worldwide. Anyone overseas with a U.S. address, which could be even a maildrop, can buy from them and easily ship overseas. Expats do this all the time. Overstock had sales revenues of 1.1 billion USD in 2012. I'll bet that most of that revenue came from shipments to the U.S., not overseas. So why is that egocentric? This is a U.S. company, after all.

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:01:27 PM

Amazon would be amazing.

Newegg, however, looks like being next.
Romyen

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:07:14 PM

I think Amazon will be jumping on board soon, hopefully. Ebay and PayPal are buddies and PayPal hates Bitcoin so I don't see that happening. Amazon has always been at the forefront of the internet and if they are smart they will understand Bitcoin's potential.

I hope you are right. Amazon has more than 50 times as much sales revenue as Overstock. (About 61 billion versus 1.1.billion)
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:07:46 PM

Then once they do it would be appropriate to open this thread, imagine you clicking on a "Ebay now accepts Bitcoin!" thread in awe, going on eBay.com, selecting a beautiful golden watch only to find out after an hour long wait in support that they only accept BTC in Uganda.

I was pretty pissed since I still want that watch but I don't want to reward them for wasting my time and essentially being no different than Amazon/eBay or anyone else...
If I went on ebay.COM and I was in Uganda I would expect whatever I saw, seeing as how a US site is not generally trying to cater to Uganda customers  Roll Eyes

Are you for serious? I didn't think it possible one could be this dumb. You've lived overseas for a while now, right? Does this really bring you that much of a shock that a US company doesn't mention the exclusion of foreign countries for bitcoin payments specifically? In what was mostly quick press releases, no less...

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
BTC-TK

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:21:11 PM

If I went on ebay.COM and I was in Uganda I would expect whatever I saw, seeing as how a US site is not generally trying to cater to Uganda customers  Roll Eyes

Are you for serious? I didn't think it possible one could be this dumb. You've lived overseas for a while now, right? Does this really bring you that much of a shock that a US company doesn't mention the exclusion of foreign countries for bitcoin payments specifically? In what was mostly quick press releases, no less...

When they claim to begin accepting Bitcoin they don't specify that they don't really accept BTC for international shipments WHATSOEVER, ANYWHERE, not in ANY media. All I'm saying is that it's misleading to people who live outside of the U.S.(the vast majority) that actually take time to browse through their website ONLY because they accept BTC and selecting a product only to find out they cannot checkout with BTC, it's misleading and it's wrong. How can you possibly be this dull to miss the whole point?

steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:26:18 PM

Sounds like a pointless argument.

Overstock officially accept bitcoin in the US.

They are working on officially accepting it globally.
pontiacg5

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:26:47 PM

When they claim to begin accepting Bitcoin they don't specify that they don't really accept BTC for international shipments WHATSOEVER, ANYWHERE, not in ANY media. All I'm saying is that it's misleading to people who live outside of the U.S.(the vast majority) that actually take time to browse through their website ONLY because they accept BTC and selecting a product only to find out they cannot checkout with BTC, it's misleading and it's wrong. How can you possibly be this dull to miss the whole point?

Because it's a US site, in a US press release, and anything to do with international is moot to the target audience.

It is pointless to argue, so this is my last post on the matter.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: