Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 10:09:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help picking out a 7770 GPU  (Read 732 times)
Duane Vick (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:40:39 PM

I realize this isn't the fastest card but this is for passive mining anyway. I'm looking at several 7770 GPU's, each with slightly different specs. Can you help me get the best bang for my buck among these 4 choices:

(1) Asus HD7770-DCT-1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 Graphic Card - 1120 MHz Core - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0
     Price $138

(2) Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 Graphic Card - 1020 MHz Core - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0
     Price $148

(3) Asus HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 Graphic Card - 1020 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI-Express 3.0
     Price $209

(4) Asus HD7770-1GD5 Radeon HD 7770 Graphic Card - 1000 MHz Core - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI Express 3.0
     Price $115

I'm looking to mine primarily LTC but will consider other alts. Also, since GPUs tend to get bought up pretty quick, it's possible I might not have all the choices listed above. If you're feeling particularly helpful, please respond in preferential order such as 2,1,3,4 or 3,4,2,1, etc. Thank you in advance.

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
Duane Vick (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:57:55 PM

Is there not anyone who can advise on this?

1FMDNUutcKVTEAph3c8xCvZie7HaCC3xDt If you feel that I've contributed anything worthwhile, please donate.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:32:30 AM

Don't think the 2GB RAM one would do you any good, as the limiting factor for mining is that narrow 128-bit memory bus. Never know, tho, and it certainly couldn't hurt. Also, the 2GB version would probably hold it's resale value a lil better.

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison shows a few different 7770 cards getting some similar settings across several core/mem speed combinations. I don't think the overclocked core would really do anything for you, as you'll have to adjust the clocks to tweak your hashrate no matter which card you got.

#3 does have a nicer, 2 fan cooler. #4 has a pretty crappy cooler. OTOH, these cards don't really run that hot, so it's not a huge deal.

If it were me? I'd say your best bet is to go by price. My personal preference would be 4, 2, 1, 3.

BTW, I don't know if you're in the US or not, but Newegg has #4 for ~$95 shipped, and #3 for ~$125 shipped. That's a lil cheaper than your listed price above, but doesn't really change my recommendation. Go for whatever's cheapest.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Duane Vick (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:06:58 AM

This is good information. If I may pick your brain a little further...absent of any information such as the mining hardware comparison, is there any particular specs you would be looking for in a gpu? For example, you mention that the card with more ram had a narrow memory bus. Which spec on a card would be most important, etc.? Obviously, there seem to be several variations across GPUs that have the same AMD chip. This makes it hard to try and find the best card price wise. I'm a small miner, wannabe really, so the key things for me are achieving a shorter breakeven period and trying to find something that can hash at a decent rate to get some LTC. I do like the idea of keeping resale value because trading up is part of my plan to eventually get up to R9s or 7990, etc. I learned about BTC early enough that I could have mined with CPU and even considered throwing a few hundred at buying them. I don't want to miss another opportunity, but more importantly I want to be part of the currency revolution because I think it's much easier to defeat the Federal Reserve by simply ignoring it.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Is there any particular specs you would be looking for in a gpu? For example, you mention that the card with more ram had a narrow memory bus. Which spec on a card would be most important, etc.?
There are a few factors you want to look for in a really good mining GPU, in no particular order.

- Stream Processors. This is essentially how many "cores" your GPU will have.
A 7770 will have 640 processors. A 290x has 2,816, over 4x as much.

- Memory. Scrypt is very memory intensive, so higher speed, and also higher bus width are important.
A 7770 has a 128-bit width, and runs at 1125MHz (real), 4500MHz (effective). A 280x has a 384-bit width (3x as much data can be moved through the RAM), and runs at 1500MHz (real), 6000MHz (effective), so another ~33% faster.

- Core speed. Less important, as this will need to be tweaked anyways to get the best performance. It is much easier to downclock a factory OC'd GPU than it is to push a lower speed chip to it's max, tho.

- Voltage unlocked. This is hard to find out, as it's not something advertisers will promote. But, it can make a huge difference when running lots of GPUs. You have to check for each specific card you're looking at buying.

- Cooler. You will need the best cooler possible to prevent destroying your GPU. Lower end cards can get away with only one fan, but for high end cards you will want 2, if not 3 fans. This is assuming you're not getting a reference blower cooler, which is one fan at the back of the card. I like those, but they are loud...

Those are just some general guidelines, and once you start looking into the dozens of GPUs available, you'll start to figure out patters in which brands mine the best, which specific cards are really great (and which ones aren't), and which ones are easier to cool.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: