Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:43:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is PoS safer over PoW?  (Read 160 times)
kimochidesh

Activity: 518
Merit: 257

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 07:11:36 PM

Yes, the Proof-of-stake eliminates some of the major security issues associated with the Proof-of-work scheme. The most obvious of them is the 51% attack. If an attacker was to hack a cryptocurrency network today, for instance, the Bitcoin network, he would have to gain 51% of the computing power. This can be made possible if some of the largest mining pools join together to attack the network. While this is highly unlikely politically, technically, it is still a possibility.
Robin,Hood

Activity: 462
Merit: 62

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 07:34:34 PM

Yes, the Proof-of-stake eliminates some of the major security issues associated with the Proof-of-work scheme. The most obvious of them is the 51% attack. If an attacker was to hack a cryptocurrency network today, for instance, the Bitcoin network, he would have to gain 51% of the computing power. This can be made possible if some of the largest mining pools join together to attack the network. While this is highly unlikely politically, technically, it is still a possibility.
Team up to commit economic suicide  Grin Cheesy  Undecided Smiley

Any Bitcoin address not starting with 1 is fraud and scam Full (20 coins) Cryptomarket History
marydarli

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 08:55:54 PM

Video sharing is the process of uploading, publishing, and sharing video clips online.
There are many video sharing websites/platforms out there such as YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and Verasity. continue
hihitao40

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 12:17:47 PM

I think the security is pretty much the same.
Both POW and POS have their advantages, so long as it is a token of the underlying technology of the blockchain, it is worth investing, because no one knows that there will be a big increase in the future generation.
rucapri0

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 08:41:33 AM

Soon Ethereum testament hard change to PoS, and I can't wait to card what happens. pow right applications means very frequently thrilling.
moshk555

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 06:22:24 AM

The bitcoin although does not cover the majority of the market it covers nearly 40 percent of the market so imagine that overnight 40 percent of the market value f the cryptocurrency market dis appease the trust of the people cryptocurrency will be destroyed and money retraction will occur
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 06:42:01 AM

i don't think we can prefer one over the other. both are good algorithms and both have pros and cons of themselves. there simply isn't some perfect magical algorithm that you can use.
for example PoS in my opinion has a bad design when it comes to distribution which is totally unfair. and i am not alone in this. and that is not all the algorithms out there. there is a lot more. in fact someone recently made a list of all of them here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4776600.0

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Kryten12

Activity: 448
Merit: 15

TREEBLOCK

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 06:44:56 AM

I don't think there should be any difference in security issues between Proof of Stake and Proof of Work you are using an encrypted algorithm for both. Proof of stake is far less power hungry as you only need to run 1 machine virtual or actual per node I am involved in 2 proof of stake coins at the moment.

TREEBLOCK.io   //   TOKEN GENERATING EVENT
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶   ICO is LIVE  》 JOIN NOW!   |■■■
Telegram    ●    LinkedIn    ●    Youtube    ●    Twitter
CryptoAlphaStar

Activity: 574
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 07:05:04 AM

I can easily imagine a huge debate will develop over this topic.
Essentially both can be 51% attacked with.... having enough money and desire to own 51% of the resources needed to crack the system. It doesn't matter if you will buy hardware equipment (PoW) or just buy coins (PoS).
Tone147

Activity: 221
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 07:14:16 AM

I think the POW mechanism is more secure because even though the POS mechanism does not consume energy.
However, the POS mechanism may face a situation where most tokens are concentrated in the hands of a few people.

DCC│Distributed Credit Chain
    Empower Credit, Enable Finance   
GithubFacebookMedium ‹‹‹dcc.finance››› RedditTwitterTelegram
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: