Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 04:26:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock makes $124K from 780 Bitcoin orders, within 24 hours  (Read 1724 times)
stayeduptolate (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:59:18 PM

Source here  http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/10/overstock-makes-124k-from-780-bitcoin-orders-within-24-hours-of-accepting-it-as-payment/

This is great news btw WOW!

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:22:41 PM

I don't know if those are larger than expected numbers , but this type of thing should likely lead to other large merchants accepting bitcoin.  I know newegg is a name that keeps popping up in regards to merchants who may start accepting btc.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Phoen1x

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:24:43 PM

Aside from the free PR, this seems like a bigger monetary win for Coinbase since they are the ones processing the bitcoin transactions, right?
stayeduptolate (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:30:34 PM

I don't know if those are larger than expected numbers , but this type of thing should likely lead to other large merchants accepting bitcoin.  I know newegg is a name that keeps popping up in regards to merchants who may start accepting btc.

I really hope newegg starts accepting BTC Smiley
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:33:00 PM

Aside from the free PR, this seems like a bigger monetary win for Coinbase since they are the ones processing the bitcoin transactions, right?

depends what payment plan they are going in.  coinbase has a 1% flat rate plan so that would be like $1,240 they made in a day, but they also offer 0% fees on the first $1million dollars worth of transactions with that plan, so in that would most likely mean they didn't make any money today from overstock.

also i remember overstock saying they paid 2% on credit card transactions so if they are using coinbase's 1% payment plan then i believe that means both any money coinbase makes is also the same amount in extra savings overstock gets,  so its pretty equal on whos benefitting more.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:33:56 PM

"Overstock makes $124K from 780 Bitcoin hoarders, within 24 hours of accepting it as payment"

you see what i did there?
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:41:55 PM

"Overstock makes $124K from 780 Bitcoin hoarders, within 24 hours of accepting it as payment"

still a step in the right direction for getting more adoption. quite a few things need to change for bitcoin to be a realistic day to day means for shopping, but we certainly keep moving closer to closer to that day.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 07:46:11 PM

I'll be honest, that's what most of the news outlets are going to report it like "Hurr durr! Doesn't mean a thing! Deflationary currencies suck! Always will because we say so! Bitcoin is still volatile!" Fox news have already parroted the volatility argument to the Overstock CEO lol.
stayeduptolate (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:06:08 PM

I do I like it LOL
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 08:11:34 PM

still a step in the right direction for getting more adoption. quite a few things need to change for bitcoin to be a realistic day to day means for shopping, but we certainly keep moving closer to closer to that day.

It for sure is...and it is helping those 'hoarders' to actual spend some BTC!  Not sure what they were anciticipating, or what percentage of their total orders this is, but definitely a step in the right direction.

Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:26:53 PM

BTC guys, just gotta keep spending it and at some point they'll HAVE to take us seriously! lol

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:28:01 PM

nice! i'm surprised ppl spent so many coins.

Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:28:46 PM

As another user said, I have no clue if they even had a target, but this should go some ways into showing other businesses that BTC is a viable payment option that's worth implementing.
stayeduptolate (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:34:28 PM

nice! i'm surprised ppl spent so many coins.

this is a great thing though because it goes to show that the other companies are missing out on profit. Come on newegg and amazon !!!
stayeduptolate (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:37:13 PM

Update from the twitters CEO

Patrick M. Byrne ‏@OverstockCEO 11m

#Bitcoin's first full day on @overstock.com was a huge success: 840 orders, $130,000 in sales. Almost all new customers. #stunned
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:42:22 PM

#Bitcoin's first full day on @overstock.com was a huge success: 840 orders, $130,000 in sales. Almost all new customers. #stunned

That was another thing I was going to ask...how many of them were new customers?  I've never used Overstock.com, but definitely browsed the site for a bit.  This could be huge news for others thinking about adding BTC as a payment.

stayeduptolate (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:47:13 PM

That was another thing I was going to ask...how many of them were new customers?  I've never used Overstock.com, but definitely browsed the site for a bit.  This could be huge news for others thinking about adding BTC as a payment.

ya it sounds like they got a bunch of new customers!
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:59:06 PM

depends what payment plan they are going in.  coinbase has a 1% flat rate plan so that would be like $1,240 they made in a day, but they also offer 0% fees on the first $1million dollars worth of transactions with that plan, so in that would most likely mean they didn't make any money today from overstock.

also i remember overstock saying they paid 2% on credit card transactions so if they are using coinbase's 1% payment plan then i believe that means both any money coinbase makes is also the same amount in extra savings overstock gets,  so its pretty equal on whos benefitting more.

It's 1% after your first 1M transaction.
https://coinbase.com/docs/merchant_tools/pricing
JorgeCassio

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 12:28:10 AM

Nice, paving the way for the future
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 02:59:15 AM

Color me impressed. Going live with BTC acceptance before the reported date that it was going to happen, getting the word out rapidly enough to do $130k in sales, and then get to brag about the 24/hr rate. That's something of a coup for Overstock.com and the use of Bitcoin for a trade of value in of itself.

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: