Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:39:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A bitcoin donation for a non-bitcoiner.  (Read 2047 times)
Stalin-chan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 01:00:59 PM

You just called MagicalTux a liar?

I'm just saying you never know. There's little doubt that a BITCOINTELPRO campaign is being waged on the community by the FBI - the only question is the scope.

My guess is they'll release a pdf... and maybe make a powerpoint slide or two.  
But hey..  even if they release the kraken, I expect they'll only succeed in making it difficult for US citizens.  Bitcoin will still be useful without the US.

Yeah until the bankers come in and purge us all.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

According to MagicalTux, accepting donations in bitcoins is probably illegal in US. Just a heads up.

According to MagicalTux, the concept of "force majeure" means he had no potential liability from the resulting consequences of him giving a full copy of the database, passwords, logins, and e-mails included, to a third party who did not need the authentication table whatsoever. According to MagicalTux, "force majeure" also protects him from liability for the consequences of him ignoring reports of SQL vulnerabilities and successful hack attempts on individual accounts for weeks before the real problem.

MagicalTux's lawyer is probably just his imaginary friend from the third grade...

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 06:57:23 PM

Yeah, but I just learned that BTC donations are illegal in the US.

That's one of the lies the statists spread to keep the sheeple clinging to their debt-ridden fiat currency. Don't buy the hype.

You just called MagicalTux a liar?

Now I am curious about this...

How can accepting magic beans as a donation be illegal?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:22:54 PM

To solicit a tip in bitcoin, one merely needs to provide a Bitcoin address for the sender to use. Because it is a direct transaction, there is no intermediary sucking fees from the transaction (except for the bitcoin transaction fees, which cost about penny at current levels).

Here is just a subset of those doing exactly this: - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Donation-accepting_organizations_and_projects

However, if the recipient doesn't already know of Bitcoin or doesn't accept bitcoins currently, two services can be used to give an amount that is held in escrow by the intermediary and the recipient then can claim the funds using the intermediary's web site. This is something Flattr just recently added as well -- they refer to it as "unclaimed things": http://flattr.com/support/unclaimed

These two services that do this with bitcoins are: http://www.YouTipIt.org and http://www.PayBitBack.com YouTipIt lets you send a tip to any TipIt already registered on their site but also they offer the ability to send a tip to any Facebook user. If the user is not already registered with YouTipIt, the funds will be held in escrow until they are claimed by the Facebook user.

PayBitBack follows the same concept except theirs is a Twitter based escrow system.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

wolftaur

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 09:43:47 PM

Now I am curious about this...

How can accepting magic beans as a donation be illegal?

Magic beans don't exist. They used to, but everyone was afraid that one of these days a giant would follow someone back down the beanstalk, and so a very determined, concerted effort was made to find every single last magic bean on earth and burn them. The celebration would have lasted for years, were it not for the fact that MagicalTux woke up because his alarm clock went off.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
phantomcircuit

Activity: 463
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:37:50 PM

According to MagicalTux, accepting donations in bitcoins is probably illegal in US. Just a heads up.

That's wrong, he stated he wasn't sure they were legal since they are not explicitly legal.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 10:42:47 PM

To solicit a tip in bitcoin, one merely needs to show a little skin.
wolftaur

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 11:05:54 PM

That's wrong, he stated he wasn't sure they were legal since they are not explicitly legal.

That's what you get for hiring your imaginary friend as your lawyer.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: