Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 05:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building ASIC? Ideas/suggestions/compllications?  (Read 521 times)
mwcoiner (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 09:10:33 PM

I know there's just a few major manufacturers for ASIC machines.
Anybody here have experience or knowledge as to how complicated the manufacturing process actually is if one  has access to a hardware company in Asia? Looking at building a few 5+ TH machines if it's overall feasible and depending on production time. Seeing as how current pre-orders for most companies are 3+months away, this may not be a bad idea.

Thanks
pongilu

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:53:31 PM

Manufacturing ASICs involves the extremely expensive process of making masks. Depending one what kind of ASIC you want, this can cost up to several million dollars.

You can find more info about that here:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/7042/how-much-does-it-cost-to-have-a-custom-asic-made

On top of that, performance mining ASICs are not cheap to design. A lot of time, thought and complex engineering goes into the chip design. Expecting to be able to whip one up within a few months is completely unrealistic.
mwcoiner (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 12:57:07 AM

Hm it says upto around a mil depending. Plus Cointerra only had $1.3mil in seed last year. Given that it is technology, I'm sure cost has come down a little bit. Hashfast did it with $600k and $15mil in preorders.
Of course the bigger problem would be finding either a design/software template, or finding people qualified and talented enough to work on this. If anybody is willing, please let me know.

Six months or a year would be doable if it's to go for something that can pump out 5Th+ instead of just the current 1-3 that are being shipped.
And as far as power usage, I have access to 600A+ of 3ph power (216kW) to test out pretty much anything. I'm assuming there's quite a few engineers and tech folk on here with the background and experience to work on this so I'd love a PM if anybody is interested. or knows somebody who can help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: