Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 04:56:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we need more sha-256 chains?  (Read 645 times)
junk1 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:26:41 PM

Scrypt has been very popular for alt coins lately due to absence of ASIC power to mine it. Now that ASICs are coming out by 1000s yet the bitcoin chain block reward is capped at 25 btc/10m would it actually benefit the miners to spread the hashing power to other effort worthy chains? If the difficulty of mining a given chain was in 100% correlation to the price of the coin, the answer would be "no" but since the price is determined by demand and speculation far more than it is determined by difficulty all miners jumping on one coin is not profitable for miners. The current problem of spreading the sha256 hash capacity to other coins is the uncertainty if they will live or they will die... How about undertaking an effort by the full community to create  4 SHA 256 alternatives to bitcoin. I don't mean just create 4 new chains and let them die, but rather really promote the big 5 (4 +bitcoin) chains.

Thoughts?
cthulu1

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 10:56:25 PM

you seriously think ASIC miners are just hitting the market?
 Undecided
junk1 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:04:50 PM

you seriously think ASIC miners are just hitting the market?
 Undecided
Of-course not. I've been mining BTC since 2010... However now the ASIC technology is mature enough to be here in full force, and as more and more companies leave the R&D phase and enter the production phase we will see mining capacity increasing at the production rate of asics, not R&D rate of asic companies...
junk1 (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:16:46 PM

Mine some BCX

http://battlecoinxchange.com/

Launches today.

~BCX~

See, this is exactly what i am talking about. A website with more ads on it than topic related content and some really annoying audio track that only a 12 year old can find "kool"... No one in their right mind woul invest money or hash power into a coin like this for long term. We need less junk coins and more worthy coins. Perhaps have 4 coins that are organized / endorsed by original btc devs?
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 11:31:38 PM

Mine some BCX

http://battlecoinxchange.com/

Launches today.

~BCX~

so you're warming too it Smiley or are you going to mine at 51% hash Wink
Pages: [1]