Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:25:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Decentralization Initiative  (Read 1955 times)
toast (OP)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:56:53 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 02:53:15 PM by toast

The Bitcoin Decentralization Initiative and Decentralization Fund

Everybody who has any investment into the bitcoin ecosystem should be interested in mitigating the existential risk presented by 51% and 26% attacks against the network.

I'm done hearing people talk about how nothing can be done about Bitcoin's centralization concerns and how "it's a free market! you can't do anything!". We *are part of* the free market. We as a community can help incentive structures in a way that encourages mining power to become more decentralized.

I am making the collection and allocation of resources towards promoting network health and reducing the amount of centralization we currently see in the Bitcoin network an explicit goal of mine. Naysayers need not waste their breath.

Actionable Plans
* Put a bounty on bitfury asic integration for p2pool
* Put a bounty on creating a "bitcoin network health" infographic. Some important points:
    - An attacker does not actually need >50% hashrate to successfully double spend.
    - 26% attack exists.
    - "A pool with >50% wouldn't attack because they would destroy their own business model" doesn't really matter: What matters is how many people someone interested in *destroying bitcoin* would have to coerce.

Short-term goals:
* Establish credibility for the Fund by gathering a team of knowledgeable and trustworthy community members to guide and manage the allocation of resources.
* Foster discussion for the purpose of creating concrete and actionable plans for the Fund for both the short- and long-term future.
* Solicit donations from large BTC stakeholders who are interested in hedging against catastrophic loss of value

Medium-term goals:
* Fund the development of p2pool, particularly features that promote ease-of-use and profitability.
* Jumpstart p2pool adoptation by subsidizing p2pool miners (adding 1% to block rewards for p2pool payouts for a week, for example)
* Help smaller mining pools implement features which make their pools more competitive against the current largest pools.
* Educate the community about bitcoin network health

Long-term goals:
* Create a balance of mining pool control across jurisdictions. Most mining pools currently operate inside the US.
* Work with the core development team to make changes to the reference client to help support decentralization (for example, direct p2pool integration into bitcoind).

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 08:24:46 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 08:40:19 AM by Isokivi

I'd like to suggest adding a small subgoal:
P2pool compatible mining software for bitfury asics. I dont know how large a portion of the network bitfury-based devices make up. But I'd like to argue that as they still are the best available hardware to date, that is is a large %. Not having the option of mining on p2pool on them is a huge threshold. I myself have mined on p2pool on three generations of hardware, but have been unable to accomplish this on bitfury H-cards.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
toast (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:28:53 AM

Noted.
More generally, we need input from people who are familiar with p2pool to help decide which are the most cost-effective incentives to tackle.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:35:40 AM

Think it's pretty cool what you're trying to achieve here, keep us posted with progress!

Smiley
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 10:43:52 AM

Looks like something we'd consider donating Bitcoin outreach funds to in the future, resources depending.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:37:37 PM

Hey all you chicken littles running around screaming about the falling sky - take a lesson from toast. Rather than incessant whingeing, he is putting effort behind actually doing something about the situation.

Kudos, toast. I don't know if I have anything to offer - other than perhaps some cash when concrete plans emerge.

The suggestion of p2pool compatibility for bitfury sounds like low-hanging fruit.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:39:53 PM

* Jumpstart p2pool adoptation by subsidizing p2pool miners (adding 1% to block rewards for p2pool payouts, if this is technically possible)

This is quite easy. We used to do this back in the "olden days of mining" when P2Pool was just created. There is a method to donate to all the P2Pool miners according to the amount of hashing power they submit (as you said, basically an additional subsidy to the block reward).

Here was the method we used (I don't know if it still functions or not).

./bitcoind sendmany "" "$(wget -O- http://forre.st:9332/patron_sendmany?total=1.5)"

1.5 would be the total amount of bitcoins donated.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
gortonc

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:36:06 PM

Question: We hear a lot about trojans generating botfarms to mine bitcoins. I can't afford a dedicated miner, and don't care about making money (not that I wouldn't love to) but could commit my desktop to running something in the background if it would help.  Would it? Is this what p2pool is about? Could we have an intentional volunteer botfarm to compete with Ghash.io?
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:17:12 PM

* Jumpstart p2pool adoptation by subsidizing p2pool miners (adding 1% to block rewards for p2pool payouts, if this is technically possible)

This is a great idea. I don't have much but I believe in the idea of Bitcoin & would support something along these lines that could help address the issue.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:21:24 PM

A 26% attack is a faulty scenario. 50+% is what we need to be worried about.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
toast (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:17:23 PM

Made a few small changes to the OP.

* Renamed this to "Bitcoin Decentralization Initiative", which happens to have a Fund. There is plenty to be done that doesn't involve money, and "fund" scares people off and lowers credibility.
* Started drafting "actionable plans" section.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
gambitx

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:29:11 PM

this is pointless not required, waste of money and resources
toast (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:31:21 PM

this is pointless not required, waste of money and resources

Why? Because every time there's been a threat so far, the pools have been benevolent?

- "A pool with >50% wouldn't attack because they would destroy their own business model" doesn't really matter: What matters is how many people someone interested in *destroying bitcoin* would have to coerce.

That number is currently 2.

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 04:24:30 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 05:13:43 PM by Patel

Good luck with this Toast, I support what you're doing here.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 05:09:22 PM

Its a good goal. I would donate when i see more in the future.

The litecoin devs are working on similar things. Maybe you could contact warren from the dev-team.

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:17:09 PM

In other words, you want pool regulation.

I don't think that's possible.

The more restrictions you put in place, the more people will leave the network. You can't artificially control growth and people want to grow. We are well past the stage where there are only hobbyist miners in the game.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 05:22:28 PM

Hey all you chicken littles running around screaming about the falling sky - take a lesson from toast. Rather than incessant whingeing, he is putting effort behind actually doing something about the situation.
+1 I "naysay" when all I see is complaining. This is action, totally different in my mind.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 06:33:58 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 07:01:38 PM by FandangledGizmo

I support this.  I like that you've changed fund to 'initiative' but personally I'd like to see you remove the donation address for the time being.

If you/we the community have a specific credible plan to improve decentralisation, only then should a funding address be listed and even then it may be better if it was administered by someone else. (Example maybe BitPay shows an interest in assisting a decentralised mining fund. Any donated funds would be miniscule vs. their turnover and so people could confidently donate knowing the funds will be fully put towards their stated purpose.)

I have emailed Bitpay today actually on this issue, I have quoted the content below, hopefully I will receive a response, or if they could respond in this thread that would be great too.

To: Info@Bitpay.com

As you may be aware Ghash.io recently gained up to as much as 45% of Bitcoin Hashing power.

I know Bitpay is the leading Bitcoin Payment network in the world. I know you have a great team there
that get's paid some of their salary in Bitcoin and I know you are constantly developing great new
Bitcoin related services.

I was wondering if Bitpay has recognised/considered the threat posed by mining pools getting too big and the effect
a 51% attack would have on Bitcoin and therefore Bitpay's business?  

Have you considered developing or helping with something that could encourage P2Pool mining?

I know you are busy but any response to this would be greatly appreciated thank you!  

Edit: I realise Bitpay are in a way an example of centralisation themselves.
But I think most of us agree that it is mining pools getting too big & the risk of a 51% attack that is the biggest threat to the security and trust in Bitcoin. Hopefully the current big players, (Exchanges, merchants, Bitcoin service providers) recognise this as a threat to their business too and we can work together to address it.

FandangledGizmo
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:46:16 PM

Charles Stevens (BitPay)

Jan 16 05:50 PM

Hi,

We are aware of the recent scare of a 51% attack and of course realize the importance of preventing that from happening. We have no current plans in place to encourage P2Pool mining, but I will certainly pass your comments along to our team to see if that's something we may decide to look into. Thanks for reaching out.

Sincerely,

Charles Stevens
Client Support Engineer
BitPay, Inc.

I'm glad they took the time to reply so quickly, thank you!  Smiley

It seems they realise the importance of preventing it from happening, so you never know, maybe this will spark them to think about if there's some small things that they can do from their side to assist with the network security of Bitcoin.
If some senior or more technical members here came up with a credible strategy, that BitPay could assist with in some small way, I'm sure they'd at least give it some reasonable consideration.

toast (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:23:59 AM

In other words, you want pool regulation.

I don't think that's possible.

The more restrictions you put in place, the more people will leave the network. You can't artificially control growth and people want to grow. We are well past the stage where there are only hobbyist miners in the game.

It's not really regulation, we're just voluntarily helping out some people who have some easy-to-fix competitive disadvantage to promote network health in the long run

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄