Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿  (Read 79395 times)
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

About the code: I generally use BC, not BTC.

Rationale:
  • The point is having a short notation, so using 2 letters is no worse than using 3 (it's even better).
  • It's BitCoin anyway, so BC just makes more sense. BTC is kind of a hack.
  • Having exactly 3 letters would be necessary only for compliance with ISO standardization rules, that we violate right ahead anway because those very rules require than any currency that's not issued by a government starts with an X. We also don't seem to care too much about 3 letters whenever we write LREUR (euros at Liberty Reserve), mtgoxUSD (US dollars at MtGox), etc.
  • In due time, having BC will allow us to simply write XBC wherever standardization is absolutely necessary (very rare, but happens sometimes) and Bitcoin needs to be mentioned in the scope of an ISO-compliant publication or system.

So, for me it's ß and BC: "14.3ß" (European, postfix notation), "ß14.3" (American, prefix notation), "gimme your BC", "I need to exchange EUR and BC", and so on. And "XBC" in more strict contexts.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:00:25 AM

any symbol that can not be currently copy/pasted will not work at this time.

id say a B with two lines would be ideal, to match the current symbol we use. however! two lines make the character hard to read when its small.. which is probably why the dollar sign uses one line when typed instead of the two its supposed to have when written.

this to me make the ฿ perfect.

as someone else said, context matters and nobody will confuse the BTC ฿ for the thai ฿, if a website trades BTC for other currencies nobody visiting is going to think "oh they must mean they are trading thai currency!" and in Any case where it might be confusing they would simply write "BTC ฿" or "Thai ฿".

i for one have never been able to use key codes to make symbols appear, they never work for me so id be copy/pasting them anyway! and of course their is always the lazy fallback of $ its on Every keyboard, its the default money symbol  "BTC $50" Etc. heck it isnt even needed in most cases, when you refer to money you do whats easy. people will more then likely stick with BTC when talking about it because its the fastest thing to type. so having to copy/paste "฿" is a non issue since it would hardly ever be used. same for any other symbol.

i also like the way ฿ looks, it seems to have more weight to it then ⓑ, which just looks "cheap" to me on my pc(may look better to others), and its a lowercase b as well @_@
Nescio

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:03:55 AM

The problem with ß is that is that it is actively used by a country/language.

Same with ฿.

To my knowledge, Ⓑ doesn't have that problem; and it is a "B" in a circle - like a "coin".

Ⓑ is used by the Belgian railways Smiley It's also horrible for small typography.

ß is used a lot in German and could be confused with the Greek β.

BC will be confused with Before Christ.
XBC will be confused with Xbox and possibly XBMC. Does anyone even know about non-governmental currencies?

฿ and BTC are still the best options.
TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:11:05 AM

I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
Eri

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:17:24 AM

I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
it is, and so are many others, its apparently standard to reuse them. ฿ is only used for one other language (read the thread)
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:20:51 AM

I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
TheBitMan

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:23:55 AM

I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)
I have windows I got that box up once before by searching it. what's it called (the thing with all those characters) The controls you told me just told me my computer info..
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:27:49 AM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

wolftaur

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:13:58 AM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

ß and BTC! Nice and simple. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:27:29 AM

Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:30:59 AM

Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:33:14 AM

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.
Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:42:02 AM

Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.

Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
wolftaur

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:49:10 AM

This is why I keep proposing ß. It's supported in virtually all fonts (even circa-1980 PC console), it's not used as a currency anywhere, and it looks similar to a B!

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:51:50 AM

Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.
Everything on the internet is usually just labelled with dollar sign, whether USD or AUD. In a lot of cases you have to check if the website is American or Australian in order to work out if their prices are in USD or AUD. You probably use mostly only American websites, and if they were selling something in AU dollars it would probably be labelled to make that clear. If a website was using the ฿ symbol for Bitcoin, and it wasn't clear enough for visitors (which I'm sure would be very unlikely), then I see no reason they couldn't just use BTC฿ or something like you said.

edgeworth

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:21:56 PM

I made an adjustment to bitcoin symbol so that it represents a # combined with a B:
The graphics can be downloaded from this thread if anyone wants to use it: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.0

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:30:36 PM

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:43:58 PM

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.

jokes on you now BC buddy .... /sarcasm

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:58:22 PM

What's wrong with B⃦ and/or B⃫ ?

Eri

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:43:54 PM

cant tell the first one is a B and my computer doesn't show the last one. looks like a "20" over "EB" in a square
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: