Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:59:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿  (Read 79400 times)
wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:29:43 PM

This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:44:16 PM

FFS what's wrong with just using BTC and ฿?

[/thread]
ampkZjWDQcqT

Activity: 70

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:05:57 PM

I will keep using "BTC". What would we gain by using "฿"?. Nothing in my opinion.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:13:53 PM

This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.
Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 10:14:24 PM

If we're not gonna move the decimal point we also need to think of a symbol for "milliBitcoins" and it's needed pretty much right away. People talk about mBTC and μBTC in other threads but it doesn't make any sense to put a prefix on the three letter currency code. What we need is another symbol, just like there is ¢ and $.

So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 10:31:32 PM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

"...associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name." ...and we don't want to give BC bud a bad name.

Once a consensus is reached, superimpose the symbol over the top of this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Currency-Symbol_Regions_of_the_World_circa_2006.png
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:36:50 PM

Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.
Nooooo...

The horror! The horror!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:39:50 PM

So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:49:42 PM

BTC works fine for me. All type-able on my keyboard.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
wolftaur

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

[/thread]

BTC, nothing. ฿, it's already a different currency. You REALLY want to use the symbol for a fiat currency for Bitcoin just because it looks sorta like the logo artwork?

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
wolftaur

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:11:38 AM

Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...

Yes, it's used in German. The whole reason I know how to type ß in the first place, is that my family is German. I've asked several of them what they think of the use of ß for bitcoins. None of them have any problem with the idea. (And now two of my aunts and one of my cousins wants bitcoins...)

There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:33:15 AM

Why is this keep being bumped?

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

So, I am well against using the Thai Baht sign for Bitcoin.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:44:37 AM

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

Extremely good motivation!
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 06:56:44 AM

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.

You do realize that if Bitcoin becomes widely used the value of each Bitcoin will increase. This is a fact, not a guess. It will then be necessary to be able to pay e.g. 0.0012 bitcoins, and that's not a great way to write it since it is very hard to read. That is what the whole discussion about shifting the decimal point or using milliBitcoins is about.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:03:39 AM

I agree. What sign to you suggest bitcoin should use?

Here are some suggestions:

ß,Ɓ,ƀ,Ƃ,Ƅ,ƅ,Ƀ,ɮ,β,Ѣ,ẞ

Or perhaps make an entirely new sign?
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:39:34 AM

not to belittle the opinion of someone from thailand, but other symbols are used in more then one country as well. if bitcoin caught on it would be remembered all throughout history as the symbol chosen by the world to represent a new currency. what an honor Smiley. and as others have mentioned, nobody would confuse the two currencies. The reason i like ฿ is because its the first letter in BitCoins and because it has a line through it like the money symbol $. even if thailand hadn't used that symbol we still would have (assuming it existed and could be used). if bitcoin were called SuperCoin id vote for $(more then likely anyway).
BitVapes

Activity: 140

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:49:41 AM

[/thread]

I use both =/  I kind of prefer Ƀ since its not used by countries, but I had problems rendering it on default installs of various/old browser testing of my site.

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
Stardust

Activity: 189

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 09:42:46 AM

Why can't we have a more imaginative symbol instead of B? And another color instead of gold/orange.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:24:20 AM

Gold has high value in today's world. Even though titanium, platinum...are available & has value more than gold, no metal has the properties gold has & the SHINE gold gives.
Stardust

Activity: 189

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:34:18 AM

Too shallow.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: