Poll
Question: Is this possible in the US?
Yes - 1 (100%)
No - 0 (0%)
Maybe - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to implement Bitcoin at hotels  (Read 976 times)
Jgalt84 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:56:48 PM

I have worked at many NYC hotels and I had an interesting convo with a GM of a big chain hotel. I was wondering if it was possible to implement a bitcoin system for payments at NYC hotels. I have not heard of this yet and think it would be great exposure for bitcoin. I am looking for any btc professionals, coders,programmers and anyone wanting to work on the project. Thank you for your time.javascript:void(0);
Frost000

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:49:48 PM

I can see BTC working to actually book and pre-pay your hotel but the hotel would then need a credit card on file anyway in order to be able to charge for additional fees (mini bar, phone calls, whatever).

As for automatic payments (for hotels to be able to charge for those extra fees automatically in BTC), it's the same problem that Netflix would have with recurring payments.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:01:59 PM

OP author is most likely a scammer, be very careful when dealing with him.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
pissing

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:53:59 AM

It would sort of work, the issue here is not that it is technically difficult to do but it is more the underlying business process and the know it all management having to adopt the technology.

Where as a credit card can be pre approved and puts all the power in the hand of the hotel the bitcoin thing is a real gamble for them because they no longer have that level of control over your money
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:12:35 AM

Hotel's don't always require a credit card, many people pay with cash on arrival.  In this situation, copies of ID are normally taken.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 02:20:09 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 03:16:08 PM by Patel

I have been involved in the hotel business for 10+ years. Most hotels will require a c.c. to pull funds out of if the customer steals something, or they end up staying hours after the check-out time, buy movies, buy upsells, etc.

The fact that you can't pull money out of someones bitcoin account will make it incompatible.
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:20:52 AM

It would work fine for larger chains, they might just need you to put a small additional amount of BTC on deposit that is refunded less additional bills when you leave.  

Also Keyhotee ID should be released soon. That should help customers develop a trust/reputation status that may not require any additional deposit even if they have never stayed at that particular hotel franchise before.

... you can now take your Good Name with you.   Its up to you to build it, to earn it, to protect it, and to live up to it.  You do all the heavy lifting, but Keyhotee ID provides the framework to help you accumulate that reputation in an immutable, incorruptible block chain with the potential to live forever.  

http://invictus-innovations.com/keyhotee/
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:24:02 AM

I have worked at many NYC hotels and I had an interesting convo with a GM of a big chain hotel. I was wondering if it was possible to implement a bitcoin system for payments at NYC hotels. I have not heard of this yet and think it would be great exposure for bitcoin. I am looking for any btc professionals, coders,programmers and anyone wanting to work on the project. Thank you for your time.javascript:void(0);

On January 25, the first hotel in Miami to accept Bitcoin will do so, for the weekend of the conference.

If you wish to contact "The Clevelander" hotel in Miami Beach, they are the ones doing it. 

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:33:39 AM

Over 300,000 hotels available for booking at http://www.simplytravelonline.com/

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Jgalt84 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:04:55 AM

OP author is most likely a scammer, be very careful when dealing with him.

I'm no scammer kouye, so if you don't have any thing constructive to say stay off the thread. :*)
gamybtc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:11:42 AM

Just get a bitcoin terminal, and accept all bitcoin payments. It is as simple as you think.

BTC : 1fDTCkVcJ7SaVnoFjA5U1xfHQVfv1BWCb
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 02:36:09 PM

Wtf

CooterCoin

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:42:44 PM

I have been involved in the hotel business for 10+ years. Most hotels will require a c.c. to pull funds out of if the customer steals something, or they end up staying hours after the check-out time, buy movies, buy upsells, etc.

The fact that you can't pull money out of someones bitcoin account will make it incompatible.

Sounds like the beginning argument for the BitCoin Credit Card...... Shocked

CooterCoin
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:44:27 PM

Sounds like the beginning argument for the BitCoin Credit Card...... Shocked

CooterCoin

Only other option is to charge big amount upfront, and refund the difference at checkout
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:52:35 PM

It was an independent hotel that I worked in that still took cash from a lot of the customers. About 20%, the average age of the clientele was 60+.

Googling shows that what you say is true in most cases though, especially in the US.  

I don't see how having a card on file really prevents someone stealing/trashing the room and simply not having enough money on their card to pay for it though.

I guess the best method for btc is some form of deposit then.
Jgalt84 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:57:48 AM

It was an independent hotel that I worked in that still took cash from a lot of the customers. About 20%, the average age of the clientele was 60+.

Googling shows that what you say is true in most cases though, especially in the US.  

I don't see how having a card on file really prevents someone stealing/trashing the room and simply not having enough money on their card to pay for it though.

I guess the best method for btc is some form of deposit then.

It would not prevent them from stealing your right (at least as much as goes on now lol). I think we can make a Bitcoin ATM/KIOSK that takes the guest cash, QR code or smartphone BTC. This pays for the room tax and covers incidentals like trashing rooms. When the guest checks out their deposit can be given back in BTC if they did not trash or use anything in the room. If the price has changed in that time, you might be able to give them cash from the ATM from their original QR code. There is many ways to implement this system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: