Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:56:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens to a solo miner...  (Read 3336 times)
NecroBones

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 08:45:34 PM

My point is, with the puzzle difficulty getting higher and higher, wouldn't we need equipment that actually solves a single hash faster? Or is that not a factor?
What matters is the GH/s display in your miner software. Nobody cares if that is achieved by massive parallelisation or massive increase in clock speed (which means solving a single hash faster). Over the long run, both will happen.

Right, the time-to-hash for any single hash attempt doesn't matter that much. Everyone is in a race to find a nonce that solves the criteria for the difficulty of the current block, and everyone is attempting different nonces. If everyone counted from "0" and incremented from there, and there was a fixed integer that solved the "puzzle", then the fastest hasher would always win. But that's not how it works. The nonce that will solve the puzzle depends a lot on the header of the block you're solving, which is different for each node, plus I suspect each node starts at a random nonce position in an attempt to not duplicate work with other nodes.
Vexatious

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 12:52:17 AM

My point is, with the puzzle difficulty getting higher and higher, wouldn't we need equipment that actually solves a single hash faster? Or is that not a factor?
What matters is the GH/s display in your miner software. Nobody cares if that is achieved by massive parallelisation or massive increase in clock speed (which means solving a single hash faster). Over the long run, both will happen.

Right, the time-to-hash for any single hash attempt doesn't matter that much. Everyone is in a race to find a nonce that solves the criteria for the difficulty of the current block, and everyone is attempting different nonces. If everyone counted from "0" and incremented from there, and there was a fixed integer that solved the "puzzle", then the fastest hasher would always win. But that's not how it works. The nonce that will solve the puzzle depends a lot on the header of the block you're solving, which is different for each node, plus I suspect each node starts at a random nonce position in an attempt to not duplicate work with other nodes.

So in simple terms, assuming I understand this correctly (which I admit may not be the case... Smiley) is that the node with 1 GHs versus the node with 100 GHs is like a guy buying one lottery ticket versus a guy buying 100 lottery tickets?

BTC Address: 1LKrhNXUDBZANdtqzE3Au9xjFHVCADfc9S
SolarCoin address: 8dDpPHrRBedyWBzxvbXD3paGkDjJkPRN2i
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:12:27 AM

So in simple terms, assuming I understand this correctly (which I admit may not be the case... Smiley) is that the node with 1 GHs versus the node with 100 GHs is like a guy buying one lottery ticket versus a guy buying 100 lottery tickets?
...per second/minute/whatever. yes.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
Foysal (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Zazzles, cuz, well you know, he's Zazzy...

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 10:26:58 AM

It wasn't really a complaint, more of an observation, but your (and others) explanations has helped me in somewhat solidifying my understanding of the whole process!

~Foyz

BTC: 1H8SMAxJE54SRXNZVtThWurc88KQFCeNC5
ETH: 0xe91f113f1d4Cd2910CacA6748c9D4CcD902D9014
Cryptocurrency has opened my eyes. If I've been helpful, you know what to do *points up*
NecroBones

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

It wasn't really a complaint, more of an observation, but your (and others) explanations has helped me in somewhat solidifying my understanding of the whole process!

Yep, it can be very confusing at first. But yes, that's the gist. Faster hashing = more lottery tickets.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: