Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:27:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my Antminer U1 kill me in my sleep tonight?  (Read 3465 times)
fasteddie9987 (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:19:56 AM

I wanted to learn more about mining so I got myself an antminer u1.  I finally got it up and running and as I type this, it's currently running an average of 1.539 Gh/s with cgminer on a raspberry pi.

However, the first time I had it running, it got pretty hot so I put a usb fan in the hub.   It's only a small ext powered usb hub that came with my raspberry pi so the fan was pretty close to the antminer. After about 15 mins the antminer had an error and stopped working.  It was really cool to the touch when I unplugged it and I unplugged the fan too.  I put the antminer back in and it started mining again.

My two questions (albeit probably stupid) are:

Could the fan have lowered the temp too much for the antminer to work?

Will it set on fire and kill me while I sleep in the same room as it without some sort of external cooling?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:30:16 AM

I wanted to learn more about mining so I got myself an antminer u1.  I finally got it up and running and as I type this, it's currently running an average of 1.539 Gh/s with cgminer on a raspberry pi.

However, the first time I had it running, it got pretty hot so I put a usb fan in the hub.   It's only a small ext powered usb hub that came with my raspberry pi so the fan was pretty close to the antminer. After about 15 mins the antminer had an error and stopped working.  It was really cool to the touch when I unplugged it and I unplugged the fan too.  I put the antminer back in and it started mining again.

Will it set on fire and kill me while I sleep in the same room as it without some sort of external cooling?

No, I don't think a USB fan would stop the hardware from working!

Will it kill you in your sleep? Let's hope not Smiley
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:48:38 AM

Ha yeah I hope not too.  I should just turn it off really but the idea of earning btc while I sleep, even if only a few pence, seems to be winning  Roll Eyes

I've never done anything as technical as this before with computers so it took a bit of time for me to work out how to get it working.  The next step is to get some more miners and one of those lcd screens and work out how to get that going.  I should probably have a go at that auto start setting and remote access option. 
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:08:21 AM

Ha yeah I hope not too.  I should just turn it off really but the idea of earning btc while I sleep, even if only a few pence, seems to be winning  Roll Eyes

I've never done anything as technical as this before with computers so it took a bit of time for me to work out how to get it working.  The next step is to get some more miners and one of those lcd screens and work out how to get that going.  I should probably have a go at that auto start setting and remote access option. 

Most miners run basically 24-7, *but* you have to find a way to cool it properly. It is dangerous if you have no cooling system in place. I'm sure that USB fan couldn't have stopped the miner from working. Doesn't make sense. Electronics love to be cooled down Smiley
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:40:01 AM

I just put the fan back in and it messed up again and when I plug it back in I get something called LIBUSB_ERROR_IO Huh

time for bed, and now at least without any danger  Smiley
mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 03:45:27 AM

Sounds like your USB hub can't power both the miner and the fan. Most people who mine use powered USB hubs. Search the forums for the hundred of pages discussions of what is best hub. linksys 7 vs aneker 10.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:46:06 AM

I got 55 BlueFury, 2 Jupiters, and 2 scrypt mining rig in my room. I am still alive. So I don't think there is any danger.  Smiley
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:50:42 AM

Sounds like your USB hub can't power both the miner and the fan. Most people who mine use powered USB hubs. Search the forums for the hundred of pages discussions of what is best hub. linksys 7 vs aneker 10.

Yeah I think you're right.  I just googled it and something unrelated to mining said it was probably due to a poor hub.  I'll give it another go tomorrow with the fan in another machines usb until I get a decent usb hub.
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:52:08 AM

I got 55 BlueFury, 2 Jupiters, and 2 scrypt mining rig in my room. I am still alive. So I don't think there is any danger.  Smiley

Well at least if the worst happens it'll be quick  Grin
phazon307

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:52:41 AM

Poor hub my 4 USB  Miners work separated on the hub with a fan but they do not work when they are right next to each other odd huh.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:53:28 AM

I also have 2 ferrets in a cage sleeping in my room. I am sure they will wake me up, if there is any danger.  Smiley
fasteddie9987 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:55:39 AM

I also have 2 ferrets in a cage sleeping in my room. I am sure they will wake me up, if there is any danger.  Smiley

The Big Lebowski springs to mind   Smiley
darcimer

Activity: 66

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:10:49 AM

You can run up to 6 overclocked ants (2ghs) on the anker 10 port, and still run the USB fan in the bottom port.  Nice rig for 12 ghs..
machinationus

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:58:39 AM

Yes it could as the "Fan" is a DC motor and it could be emitting EMF that is a problem, as for running cooler is no problem >-30 C
It could put out harmonics that interfere with the miner. Just a thought.. Also you know about helicopters make a lot of high voltage, the fan is like that. 

Gazza1

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:29:17 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 06:40:49 AM by Gazza1

A lot of guys here have thousands of watts with thick cords coming from all rooms in the house running in their bedrooms powering rigs at the foot of their beds sucking massive power/dishing out enough heat to cook sausages.

A typical house lamp is more hazardous than your USB miner.  LoL

and no the cold won't hurt it.  there is a happy medium with computers and temps but for example it has been -18 degrees F outside and I've the window wide open exchanging cold air with my rigs and they have been very happy campers.

my printer on the other hand wasn't so happy.  the damn ink froze.  Shocked

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:41:54 AM

If it does kill you can I have it?

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
lithod02

Activity: 116

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:47:38 AM

I have several U1 miners on a Anker 10 port hub and artic breeze fan. they run cool as a cucumber using -0981 overclocking.
Its all about cooling
oscarg

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:45:38 AM

OMG I thought you were worried about about the Korean Death Fan Myth

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4287

Theres a weird meme in Korea that if you go to sleep in a room with a fan running, it could kill you.
Exactly why and how remains unclear to this day.

LOL  Grin
ineedit

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:01:22 AM

OMG I thought you were worried about about the Korean Death Fan Myth

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4287

Theres a weird meme in Korea that if you go to sleep in a room with a fan running, it could kill you.
Exactly why and how remains unclear to this day.

LOL  Grin

Just makes you wonder how far humans have come and how close the Stone Age still is.  Cheesy

If I have been help then please show your thanks         BTC: 127PRogAVZiV3fEmpJERh9KemK3a3Ffh6G         LTC: LXghFL8mZffpTFkm2nRTesuDrV5DJQP3Js
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:18:30 PM

If it does kill you can I have it?

Err ... if it kills him it wouldn't exactly be usable any more ....

No harm in asking I suppose Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: