Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 12:58:33 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Union DEAD in the Water !!!  (Read 4857 times)
Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Does Bitcoin require this much Western Union documentation before sending ?

Western Union continually monitors the use of its systems to understand its customers’ usage.

We have received your communication and require additional information in order process your request.

In order for us to review your information please complete the Consumer Questionnaire Form below, please complete each section or it could delay your review. Then attach any additional documents, and return the completed Questionnaire to wukycreview@westernunion.com. Upon receipt of the completed Questionnaire and documents, we will review your information along with your transaction history. The review process takes between 10-14 business days. Upon completion of the review, we will inform you of our conclusion.

Please provide documents to support your use of Western Union Money Transfer Services.  Below are examples of various documents that you may consider providing, however any other relevant documentation to support the purpose of your transactions would be useful:

•           Business License or other business related documentation
•           Tax identification information
•           Business registration information or permits
•           Invoices
•           Property Title or other property evidence
•           Loan Statement
•           Mortgage Statement
•           Receipts for goods or services purchased
•           Medical bills or certificates
•           Not for Profit documents (501C3 License, etc.)
•           Letter of Explanation (For example, a letter on company letterhead explaining your
position in the organization and why you are sending on their behalf)

Customer Questionnaire
Date:

I. Please provide your information:

Full Name:

Address:

Phone #:

Date of Birth:

Recent MTCN:

II. Please provide the following information for the people that you have sent to or received from over the past 6 months:

Name

How do you know this person? (Relationship)

What was the money used for?
(Purpose)

Have you met him/her in person? Y/N

III. What is your primary source of funds?    
(Examples: Job Income, Retirement/Pension, Family/Friends, Trust Fund/Inheritance, etc.)

IV. Third Party Details
Are any of the transactions being conducted on behalf of a third party?      

If Yes, please provide the information below:

Full Name or Business Name:

Address:

Phone #:

Date of Birth:

Occupation or Business Type:

VI. Please list or comment on any documents that you provided?

V. Please include any additional information that will assist in our analysis

Sincerely,
Compliance Department,
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
PO Box 7000 Englewood, CO 80155-7000
wukycreview@westernunion.com

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
PolkRB

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 10:13:06 AM

That's just crazy!
Bitcoinpro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:14:12 AM

now I understand why Max Keiser and Co are shorting this Company to Death, never realized that this is the kind of information they had on WU,

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
zachcope

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:36:38 AM

now I understand why Max Keiser and Co are shorting this Company to Death, never realized that this is the kind of information they had on WU,
If any customer knows this I don't think you have to be Gordon gecko to realise the regulatory burden and fees with western union will be undermined by bitcoin.

slowlyslowly

Activity: 82
Merit: 27

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:48:46 AM

Hi
I think rather than kill off western union, bitcoin may cut into its market but as i understand it western union and other services like this offer a recourse it things go wrong. so to minimise that happening or helping solve it when it does it gets info upfront. its cumbersome but it works.

Bitcoin offers no comeback. (some commentators see it as bitcoins fundamental flaw to ever being big)

I see over time the western unions of this world will react if bitcoin gets market share by offering a very low transaction priced product that also has no comeback on them. If there is no comeback they will not want you to fill in any forms as they will not 'care' just as bitcoin by its very nature does not (cannot) care if you send bitcoins off to the wrong person.
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:02:27 AM

I had problems with Western Union way back in 2000. All I wanted to do was accept a couple hundred from someone in America (from UK) for a web design (his payment choice). Had to make 4 trips to the office because they kept sending me back asking me for different stuff, and every time I went they were clueless and I had to explain everything over. Was one of the worst customer experiences I ever had.
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:06:18 AM

WU is often used by over seas workers with little education. Bitcoin may be better, but WU is still more user friendly since you go there and just do what a person tells you to do.

My workplace's customer (I'm a programmer) recently asked me to disable all validation in one of our programs - which could cost lives I guess - but our customer is too stupid to fill out correctly and can't be bothered.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:48:49 AM

One reason why bitcoin is bound to succeed is that the alternatives are services like WU - expensive, inconvenient, time consuming, and limited to set amounts per day.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:54:03 AM

Western Union WILL DIE no doubt, it's an aging dinosaur with no will to adapt to the future.

The only way to save themselves is to adapt bitcoin.

mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 01:06:41 PM

sadly we may see questions like that on exchanges once all the regulations are in place.
gamybtc

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:09:20 PM

If western union just do this all the time to customers, They are Just Dead.

BTC : 1fDTCkVcJ7SaVnoFjA5U1xfHQVfv1BWCb
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:18:41 PM

sadly we may see questions like that on exchanges once all the regulations are in place.
No kidding. Western Union execs didn't just wake up one day and think, "hey, wouldn't it be great if our payment process was like being pulled over by a policeman for suspicious activity?" Government's lazy and incompetent, so law enforcement is offloaded onto businesses (banks and payment processors may's well be a proper law enforcement agency, which is wonderfully ironic given recent events), though this is okay in some ways... ensures costs are more usage-based rather than blanket fees subsidized by everyone (taxes).
qfdev

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:41:16 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2014, 02:06:05 PM by qfdev

Western Union ask all these questions in order to comply with Money Laundering Regs. It's crazy to think they'd voluntarily place such onerous demands on their clients, they're interested only in completing transfers with the minimum amount of red-tape + overhead. Bitcoin circumvents all this as no 3rd party is required, how will governments impose their Money Laundering regime on two individuals completing a transfer with no intermediary??

Western Union will be throwing everything they've got right now to put pressure on governments to regulate Bitcoin into obscurity!
CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:09:01 PM

The other day at the grocery store I stood next to a gentleman from Egypt that wanted to WU $200 to his family back home for Xmas.

The total cost was $256.

This is another reason they will be dead once these customers figure out they can do it with bitcoin faster and easier.

Plus you and the receiving party have to physically travel to the WU offices to send money....bitcoin you can do it from the privacy of your own home.
qfdev

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:17:26 PM

This is another reason they will be dead once these customers figure out they can do it with bitcoin faster and easier.

We're not quite there yet with seamless international transfers. I live in the UK, if somebody sends me £1,000 in BTC I need to change this into fiat money. Right now the only way I can do this is by registering on an exchange, providing all my ID + verification (sound familiar?), then listing the BTC for sale. I suspect the same is true in most countries. So Western Union still has a place until such time that BTC can be converted to and from fiat effortlessly OR there are 1000s of retailers accepting BTC as a valid form of payment. I'm really hoping for the latter!
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

We're not quite there yet with seamless international transfers. I live in the UK, if somebody sends me £1,000 in BTC I need to change this into fiat money. Right now the only way I can do this is by registering on an exchange, providing all my ID + verification (sound familiar?), then listing the BTC for sale. I suspect the same is true in most countries. So Western Union still has a place until such time that BTC can be converted to and from fiat effortlessly OR there are 1000s of retailers accepting BTC as a valid form of payment. I'm really hoping for the latter!
I'm not so sure we're "not there" anymore - at least not everywhere. Overstock's acceptance is pretty huge in the US. They have a wide-enough array of products (from food to cell phones to PC hardware to bath towels to large appliances to furniture) to make Bitcoin "directly convertable" to just about everything you'd need, though it won't pay the taxes or utility bills unless your landlord accepts gouda. Makes taking a second job for BTC much more reasonable.

B&M acceptance is still negligible unless you're in a major city (sometimes even then, still), though, but I don't use B&Ms except for fresh groceries, medical care (I think I just visited a doctor ~4 years ago), and gas. -And dog food. Unsure if there's much reason to worry about B&M adoption... going the way of landline phones and dedicated television service. By the time Bitcoin's relevant there, many of the stores won't be.

I keep cash from local BTC sales on property, but rarely have to dip into it. Hoping I can go a full year without having to buy more fiat, but property taxes make it hard. Sad
PolkRB

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:11:43 PM

The other day at the grocery store I stood next to a gentleman from Egypt that wanted to WU $200 to his family back home for Xmas.

Funny you say that. In Egypt they don't celebrate Xmas. *cough*muslims*cough*
Forexperiments

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 07:23:09 PM

Yes, i needed to do a payment with WU
There was no way, they couldn't release the money because I needed to give a lot of data. Then they eventually refunded me.
I then discovered the joy of bitcoin, transfering money saving hundreds of dollars in WU fees  Grin

Magliette ed adesivi Bitcoin e criptovalute, spedizione gratuita in Italia Grin
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

The total cost was $256.

Plus you and the receiving party have to physically travel to the WU offices to send money....bitcoin you can do it from the privacy of your own home.

What if his family back home didn't have a computer?
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:15:22 PM

Bitcoin is a Western Union killer.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: