Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:38:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork The Blockchain And Block The Seized FBI Coins.  (Read 13419 times)
zagerfish

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:36:57 AM

It would be bad PR for the bitcoin community to fork the chain and block the fbi coins from being used.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:39:28 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 03:59:30 AM by TheButterZone

It is not the job of the escrow provider to ensure that they are not guilty by association. It is the job of the government to not hold people guilty by association, and not block factual findings of innocence.

It is the job of the individual to protect themselves from everyone. Bitcoin, as a tool, truly shines at this task, but it's up to the individual to take the appropriate steps.

Not sure which steps can truly protect against the totalitarians' boot stamping on the face of the world, forever.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm sorry that you said that rather than listing some steps to legally protect against totalitarianism (perhaps because there are none, otherwise there would be no 'total' in the word).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:58:14 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 08:55:49 AM by DannyHamilton

Well wouldn't the FBI/Government flooding the coins back into the market, admit that they see value in the coin?

The U.S. government has already made multiple statements declaring that bitcoin has value, I doubt the FBI has any concerns about that.
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:09:56 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 03:17:22 PM by 2dogs

What would Satoshi do?

How would the fork for this purpose fit into his BTC vision?

(Let's send him a PM and ask for his opinion on the matter Wink)
Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:02:20 AM

What would Satoshi do?
Satoshi would spend less time worrying about what the FBI will do with the bitcoins they seized, and spend more time developing the Bitcoin network.  Had the participants been more careful with their private keys the FBI would not have been able to seize the coins.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:06:31 AM

What would Satoshi do?
Satoshi would spend less no time worrying about what the FBI will do with the bitcoins they seized, and spend more the rest of his time developing the Bitcoin network.  Had the participants been more careful with their private keys the FBI would not have been able to seize the coins.

FIFY
dennisn

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:01:04 PM

This is trivial to accomplish, and morally[1] justified. The real question is how successful would a competition of MoralCoins be. I think it actually might even be possible to algorithmically program moral rules into the technology -- whereby there simply needs to be a near-consensus of client-provided factual input, and the algorithms handle the rest. This would alleviate the ubiquitous fears of slippery slopes and emotional mobs.

For example, nobody can deny that the coins were taken from DPR without his consent. Someone might try to "argue" (in MoralCoin's programmable logic language) that DPR was bound by a so-called Social Contract, but that will be invalid since a contract requires informed consent. And so on.

[1] Morality is universal. (And thus rational / logical.)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:21:06 PM

This is trivial to accomplish, and morally[1] justified. The real question is how successful would a competition of MoralCoins be. I think it actually might even be possible to algorithmically program moral rules into the technology -- whereby there simply needs to be a near-consensus of client-provided factual input, and the algorithms handle the rest. This would alleviate the ubiquitous fears of slippery slopes and emotional mobs.

For example, nobody can deny that the coins were taken from DPR without his consent. Someone might try to "argue" (in MoralCoin's programmable logic language) that DPR was bound by a so-called Social Contract, but that will be invalid since a contract requires informed consent. And so on.

[1] Morality is universal. (And thus rational / logical.)

Bitcoin has already implemented your "algorithmically programed moral rules into the technology -- whereby there simply needs to be a near-consensus".

The current behavior is the initial state of the system.

If a "near-consensus" agrees on a new behavior of the system, then open-source developers modify the code, and people indicate their agreement with the near-consensus by upgrading their wallets.

What is clear is that there is nothing even close to a "near-consensus" for most of these silly ideas.
dennisn

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:02:59 PM

If a "near-consensus" agrees on a new behavior of the system, then open-source developers modify the code, and people indicate their agreement with the near-consensus by upgrading their wallets.

What is clear is that there is nothing even close to a "near-consensus" for most of these silly ideas.

I was actually referring to actually programming morality / law into the protocol. Starting from core axioms (of non-aggression), with potential competition in certain parameters ("statutes of limitation", criteria for land ownership, etc). I.e. the decentralization and real codification of the entire legal system. So users wouldn't be voting on the morals of the situation (that would already be pre-coded), but simply on the facts of the case, which are not under dispute in this case.

Of course, users will be free to disagree with the axioms or parameters of a particular brand of MoralCoin, and it would be fascinating to see which brand of law/morality would succeed.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 04:36:32 PM

Sounds like a great idea for another alt coin:  "MoralCoin" or something like that...

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 10:02:11 PM

Sounds like a great idea for another alt coin:  "MoralCoin" or something like that...

HighHorseCoin or LameAssCoin both fit even better.
jonny1000

Activity: 129
Merit: 13

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 07:37:16 PM

I have seen that many people appear to think forking Bitcoin to seize some coins the FBI hold is a good idea.  I think this is an interesting concept, however I am not sure if it is that much of a good idea.  However, if you think this is a sensible move which can succeed, I am giving you the opportunity to buy this altcoin now.  I will sell 10 of these coins for just 1 BTC.  I own over 10 BTC in the current chain and will therefore be granted 10 coins in the new anti-FBI altcoin.  I am happy to pre-sell these now, this could be an opportunity for you.

You will be able to multiply your money by 10x for free if the new chain succeeds.

Please bid at the following website
https://www.coingig.com/Shopping/10-Bitcoin-on-any-anti-FBI-fork---Guaranteed-Now---10x-your-money-9308

Many thanks
Bostonbitcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

And when one country is at war with another and one seizes Bitcoin from a person in the other country.....everyone in one country will want to fork the other guy.

If Al Qaida gets coins should we folk them?   If Russia's version of the FBI seizes some the same way?

Do we have an annual voting system about which ones to fork and burn?
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:02:04 PM

Don't think this is something that is possible to do.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:29:58 PM

It would be totally possible to create a fork of the Bitcoin chain to do this.  Trouble is, the people who suggest these thing over and over and over never get past the talking/posting about their ideas and on to the doing it stage.

I get the impression that a lot of people think talking about something is the same thing as doing it and that is just not true.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:40:25 PM

It would be totally possible to create a fork of the Bitcoin chain to do this.  Trouble is, the people who suggest these thing over and over and over never get past the talking/posting about their ideas and on to the doing it stage.

I get the impression that a lot of people think talking about something is the same thing as doing it and that is just not true.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean it is a good idea. 

Hopefully most of the people smart enough to code a new coin with a fork of the blockchain are also smart enough to reason through why this would actually do far more damage to bitcoin than good if it were successful.

The continued seeming interest in the ideas of this thread depress me slightly.
Krona Rev

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:46:01 PM

It's depressing to me how many people in the bitcoin community seem to want regulation, want to cooperate with so-called authorities. Listening to some of the NY hearings yesterday was a downer.

Forking over the FBI-seized coins is probably not worth it, but there are many things that would be worth forking over (e.g., government approved miners with blacklists, forcing government identities to be associated to addresses, etc.). In an open source project like this, I think we can all negotiate from a stronger position if we are ready to fork. In terms of software, the only way people who support bitcoin (in its current form) could fork is by refusing to upgrade.

Maybe it's worthwhile to be prepared in case the liberatarian bitcoiners decide they need to split from the Quisling bitcoiners. Quisling bitcoin would probably be more popular and mainstream because it would be government approved and could be used to go after those doubleplusungood money launderers. I'd personally continue along the libertarian fork if it came to that, even if the Bitcoin Foundation and majority of miners went with the Quisling fork.

There's a saying: Relationships are better when there's a packed suitcase at the door. Don't fork, but always be ready to fork. Currently, in terms of software development support, we aren't ready to fork.

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:02:08 PM

Unless the government is really stupid, the laws would cover all altcoins on top of Bitcoin, so forking wouldn't help you at all.
Krona Rev

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:20:50 PM

The laws would cover all the cryptocoins. Not all the cryptocoins (and more importantly their developers) would cooperate with the law.

Promechard: Proprietary Metablock Chains for Arbitrary Data: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=411974.0
Krona Rev

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 04:08:18 PM

and more importantly their developers
It's not up to them.

If you mean it's up to the users and not the developers, it's hard to have a cryptocoin with no developers.

If you mean it's not up to the developers because they have to follow the law or go to prison, then I guess you're right. It does make me wish everyone coding and even using bitcoin had followed Satoshi's lead and remained pseudonymous. In fact, I'm starting to regret using my real name and photo on this forum.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: