Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:01:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is having 1 bitcoin like having a lottery ticket?  (Read 2592 times)
just_me (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:43:11 PM

1 bitcoin is now worth approximately $1000 (depending on market fluctuations though)

Perhaps 1 bitcoin might be worth $100,000 soon? Or maybe $1,000,000

So, just having 1 bitcoin, is like having a lottery ticket to perhaps 'win' $100,000 or $1,000,000

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:54:24 PM

no, it's an investment.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 02:06:38 PM

Well this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.
Richard Branson

Activity: 515
Merit: 506

Screw It, Let's Do It

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

He believes in jesus. What do you expect?
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:44:12 PM

Much better odds I'd say.  Grin

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:56:03 PM

So do I, but that doesn't make me retarded.  I'll agree there is some correlation since many people use religion to escape personal responsibility, but don't discount faith just because some idiots abuse it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Richard Branson

Activity: 515
Merit: 506

Screw It, Let's Do It

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 04:59:08 PM

I didn't say that he is retarded.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:00:30 PM

I didn't say that he is retarded.

What exactly are you implying then?

YoYa

Activity: 809

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 05:11:10 PM

Regardless of OP's religious beliefs, comparing BTC to a lottery ticket is just deserving of ridicule and highly reflective of the levels of mindless mania that n'th wave noobs are experiencing. The lessons to correct such behaviour will be expensive both to individuals wealth and btc's own credibility, but then again, that is the cyclical nature of markets.

There is no getting rich quick, btc is not a lottery, and we have much work ahead to make btc worthy of its price, but the end result will be more than worth it.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:24:17 PM

Regardless of OP's religious beliefs, comparing BTC to a lottery ticket is just deserving of ridicule and highly reflective of the levels of mindless mania that n'th wave noobs are experiencing. The lessons to correct such behaviour will be expensive both to individuals wealth and btc's own credibility, but then again, that is the cyclical nature of markets.

There is no getting rich quick, btc is not a lottery, and we have much work ahead to make btc worthy of its price, but the end result will be more than worth it.

+1

Attack the statement, not the man or his personal beliefs.

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:39:20 PM

The difference with BTC and the lottery.

The lottery has a date at which a winner will be anounced. Bitcoin allows you to cash out at any time.
The lottery gives NO insite into your winning state. Bitcoin shows the value of your investment at any time.
In a lottery you either win or loose. With bitcoin you can get richer or poorer. Losing all or winning all are the only two possibilities that are nearly impossible.
etc.

What the OP might be trying to ask is if bitcoin can go both ways (to da moon or into the earths core).
The simple answer is YES bitcoin can go up or down just as easily. Statisically chances are higher that it will go to $0 but due to market adoption belief is that it will go much higher.

Bitcoin is more like religion than the lottery.
You read everything there is to know and still there is no certainty. It's all down to faith and personal investment Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:43:48 PM

The lottery has a date at which a winner will be anounced. Bitcoin allows you to cash out at any time.
The lottery gives NO insite into your winning state. Bitcoin shows the value of your investment at any time.
In a lottery you either win or loose. With bitcoin you can get richer or poorer. Losing all or winning all are the only two possibilities that are nearly impossible.
etc.

What the OP might be trying to ask is if bitcoin can go both ways (to da moon or into the earths core).
The simple answer is YES bitcoin can go up or down just as easily. Statisically chances are higher that it will go to $0 but due to market adoption belief is that it will go much higher.

You read everything there is to know and still there is no certainty. It's all down to faith and personal investment Smiley

Set a win at ( > $100k/coin) and a loss at ( < $1000/coin).  Pick at arbitrary date between 5 and 50 years out.  Check for win/loss on this date.  In this case however, if one of your tickets wins, they all win, and if one loses, they all lose.  I think the primary objection people have to the lottery analogy is they believe the chances of winning are much better than the lottery.  I actually think the chances of implosion are higher than the chances of stratospheric gains within our lifetimes, but maybe only by 2:1 odds or so (obviously just a gut feeling - bitcoin methods of success are clear, methods of failure are not).  In any event, this makes the expected value of one of these lottery tickets quite high ..
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:46:51 PM

etc.

Set a win at ( > $100k/coin) and a loss at ( < $1000/coin).  Pick at arbitrary date between 5 and 50 years out.  Check for win/loss on this date.  In this case however, if one of your tickets wins, they all win, and if one loses, they all lose.  I think the primary objection people have to the lottery analogy is they believe the chances of winning are much better than the lottery.  I actually think the chances of implosion are higher than the chances of stratospheric gains within our lifetimes, but maybe only by 2:1 odds or so (obviously just a gut feeling - bitcoin methods of success are clear, methods of failure are not).  In any event, this makes the expected value of one of these lottery tickets quite high ..

In what price USD to you declare "stratospheric gains"?  Is 15,000% in 2 years not enough?
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:50:24 PM

Lol. It's a horrendous analogy. But, if by lottery ticket, you are speaking in a very general sense, like "Something you buy that might make you really rich in the future"

Yes.

But then again, any financial asset or commodity is. It's just that some of them have more of a chance of doing that. I could buy 20 metric tons of peanuts or I could buy 2000 bitcoins in early 2010. LOL.

There are people who will laugh and assume your only reason for getting into bitcoin is to "get rich quick," and will respond as if you made that exact statement. Ignore these people, these creators and attackers of straw men.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:00:16 AM

I think closer to a lottery would be spending that 1 xbt on some *brand new* altcoin.

Now that would be lotterious... buying a billion ToiletFlushCoins just to see if they go up 2000x overnight.

Some of them do (doge?)... then you've got your 100 xbt winnings after you dump them a few days later.
traderCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:35:46 AM

In what price USD to you declare "stratospheric gains"?  Is 15,000% in 2 years not enough?

The OP is referring to investing now, not investing 2 years ago.  Regarding "stratospheric gains", I picked $100,000 USD / XBT.
tommy87

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:07:31 AM

Bitcoin is more like religion.
Grin
Shocked

On a serious note, awesome view as much as I dislike religion.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:07:49 AM

So do I, but that doesn't make me retarded.  I'll agree there is some correlation since many people use religion to escape personal responsibility, but don't discount faith just because some idiots abuse it.

exactly, we could debate all day whether it's more idiotic to believe in abiogenesis or in divine intervention, but these topics are discussed to death already all over the internet, and i don't think it contributes to anything constructive anyway.

favelle75

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:41:06 AM

But if you are on the outside looking in and don't exactly believe or know of the fundamentals of BTC, comparing it to the lottery is actually quite valid. And after all the shit we've seen in this forum to call THAT the most retarded thing you ever seen?  Pulllease.

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
traderCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:58:30 AM

But if you are on the outside looking in and don't exactly believe or know of the fundamentals of BTC, comparing it to the lottery is actually quite valid. And after all the shit we've seen in this forum to call THAT the most retarded thing you ever seen?  Pulllease.

Agreed.  I'll take it a step farther.  Bitcoin has no breakup value.  There is no minimum price.  Nailing down the fundamentals of Bitcoin is like trying to nail jello to a wall.  The market cap can contract 100% in a short period of time if it breaks for some reason.  This isn't FUD, it simply is reality.  We all are on the outside looking in.  It is an experiment, invest accordingly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: