Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many crypto currencies?  (Read 7770 times)
kktial (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:11:56 PM

why people are creating so many crypto currencies and how many of them may sustain?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kbane

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:15:44 PM

It's easy to start your own coin right now unfortunately, so there are a lot of them.
Angkor

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:26:55 PM

how many of them may sustain?

if you find out, please message me
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:28:41 PM

Next up is Hamster Coin.
kbane

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:38:04 PM

Here's the list of all coins, from "True" to "Dead/Dying"

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134179.0
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:33:07 PM

why people are creating so many crypto currencies and how many of them may sustain?

People are creating them because they can make a bit of money off of them and they are sustained by the people who mine and trade the coins.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 08:38:23 PM

Everyone thinks they can do it better

OR

They are just creating a "pump and dump" coin to profit from then forget about.  Rinse and repeat.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
sgsdebruijn

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:42:24 PM

Generate money for them selves
xboxmanners

Activity: 97

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:45:12 PM

OR

They are just creating a "pump and dump" coin to profit from then forget about.  Rinse and repeat.
Sadly, Its usually the latter.  Before long, they're going to run out of names though... (then Comes Bitcoin 1, Bitcoin 2, etc)

Win Free Dogecoins every hour! - www.freedoge.co.in 
Well, what're you waiting for? free doge awaits you!
Destrega

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:51:18 PM

Creating a coin is easy and everyone thinks they can do it better.
95% of all new coins dont get on an exchange and appear to die within a week  Sad
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:55:19 PM

OR

Makes me chuckle when they claim their coin is unique or captures a new niche market. Captures nothing; it's just a name. Oh, Weedcoin, it's going to be used to buy weed is it? GTFO lol.
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:57:15 PM

It wasn't that long ago when BBQ Coin was laughed at, but now some of these new coins are starting to take the piss.

I mean a lot of them are pure clones, with a few variables tweaked. I think Max Keiser said that in the future, all cryptos will have their 15 minutes of fame. Ultimately though these coins just allow the creators to trade them for BTC - which is what they *really* care about. Well, I guess you could argue that fiat is what they currently care about.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:01:28 PM

It wasn't that long ago when BBQ Coin was laughed at, but now some of these new coins are starting to take the piss.

I mean a lot of them are pure clones, with a few variables tweaked. I think Max Keiser said that in the future, all cryptos will have their 15 minutes of fame. Ultimately though these coins just allow the creators to trade them for BTC - which is what they *really* care about. Well, I guess you could argue that fiat is what they currently care about.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like a veteran and I've only been here a month, and I'm flummoxed by all these crapcoins with their crappy names that people jump on. I couldn't fathom why people would deal in BBQcoin, but apparently people love crappy or gimmicky names regardless of what the coin actually offers.
coolz

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:20:09 PM

Everyone can make their ownstAnd it seems there is money making business in starting one Smiley
PiniumCoin

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 09:25:57 PM

Recently there are many new cryptocurrencies. I think this positive phenomenon because the competition never will be superfluous. Together with new cryptocurrencies there are also new technical solutions.
synccoin

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:29:23 PM

There are services that will even build coins for you (such as http://coinbuilder.info. Being able to program was effectively the sole the barrier to entry to being able to make a coin, and is no longer the case.
GreenWagon

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:30:11 PM

Quite obviously they do because they currently can. We are hoping people will get bored soon tho as most of them start dying off.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:54:51 PM

just a theory

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=406515.0

Grin
Blowmybarrel

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:22:23 PM

There's far too many of them. Only a couple will survive the rest will die some probably within a  couple weeks of launch.
Zirtox

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:38:25 PM

There's far too many of them. Only a couple will survive the rest will die some probably within a  couple weeks of launch.

True that, but that doesn't make it less fun  Cool
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: