Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:22:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Bitcoin from wallet  (Read 1125 times)
slasher71 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:20:31 PM

Just had 2.3 bitcoin stolen from my wallet anything I can do?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
qfdev

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:23:43 PM

Which wallet were you using? Online/offline?
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:28:00 PM

offline... not much. Next time transfer to  a second wallet you dont even keep on a networked computer.. though it is more of a set of keys than a wallet as the coins exist on the blockchain and not in your actual pocket.

mooo for rent
slasher71 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:47:54 PM

Local wallet on my PC Sad
BlackShadowX1

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:21:00 PM

How?
slasher71 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:29:14 PM

Not sure how as yet
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:32:31 PM

What was your address? and which wallet you are using on your pc? QT or some other?
Download some antivirus or antimalware and scan your pc first.
slasher71 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 03:35:09 PM

What was your address? and which wallet you are using on your pc? QT or some other?
Download some antivirus or antimalware and scan your pc first.

It's ok it wasn't my address that had changed, they have managed to get hold of my Passwords not sure how as yet, not sure the police would be able to do anything?

I have antivirus & scanned with anti-Malware

The wallet was QT

manobra

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:34:17 PM

If it was a trojan developed specificly made to get wallets/passwords, antivirus cant mark it as a virus (at least untill this program spread and get a lot of computers.

These forums have a lot of developers with expertise enough to bulid one. I'm a developer.

Now with that said....

PLEASE BEWARE WITH USING MINERS/PROGRAMS THAT SOMEONE JUST LINK TO YOU.

If it is open source, better.

Send to virustotal doesn't mean nothing, as I said above.

Good luck!

slasher71 (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 11:14:42 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 01:54:01 AM by slasher71

Think I've worked out what's happened ....they have hacked in to the PC & installed a keylogger
manobra

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:59:56 AM

Think I've worked out what's happened ....they have hacked in to the PC & installed a keylogger

Remember: if They hacked into your computer, you have probably opened The door (with an executable u've downloaded somewhere...)

Good luck!
slasher71 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:51:23 AM

Finally got to the bottom of the cause....they sent link via ebay as a question asking about if they I could help them..... with link to an image...... the file was a .jpg ........once download it wasn't detected by any anti-virus or anti-malware program, I was running mcaffee

I scanned the file with both AV & other software before clicking on it to make sure it wasn't a virus....even did a full scan after clicking the file to make sure with AV & Malwarebytes

Today I used https://www.virustotal.com/ which submits the file to around 50 of the main AV scanners...... only 3 AV picked up the file as a backdoor trojan ......shocking ......NOD32 was one of them  

I'm now using NOD32 as I can't trust anything else

Be careful which AV you choose

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:37:11 AM

Slasher, most people use crypting software to make their Trojans fud (fully undetectable) from antiviruses, so it doesn't matters which av you are using.  If it's crypted it will don't get detected by any av.

NOD32 detected it because probably someone submitted that file to nod. So whenever you download something scan it on virustotal and run it in sandbox or virtual machine first. Install a firewall also, so you can keep an eye on incoming and outgoing connections.
meade16

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:41:18 PM

I would most certainly format and re-install Windows.
manobra

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:34:55 PM

Slasher, most people use crypting software to make their Trojans fud (fully undetectable) from antiviruses, so it doesn't matters which av you are using.  If it's crypted it will don't get detected by any av.

NOD32 detected it because probably someone submitted that file to nod. So whenever you download something scan it on virustotal and run it in sandbox or virtual machine first. Install a firewall also, so you can keep an eye on incoming and outgoing connections.

Totaly agreed!

I personaly, have developed a program that act like a virus/trojan (totaly FUD).

Sending it to virustotal, ZERO detection.

Firewall? (As it requires admin privilegies to be installed, it creates The rules to bypass)

Antimalware? (Starting as a service, it runs before or together these kind of programs, so if it is not a known virus, my rights allow me even to disable it)

When The user opens The door, there's not much an antivirus/antiwhatever can do....

And lets clarify The others about JPG u've clicked...

If u take a JPG file and rename it to EXE, Windows wont execut it.

That file should be named file.jpg.exe (with a JPG icon, trying to fake being a JPG)

I'll not get tired to write about it every time I have The opportunity.

Remember: in The cryptocurrency world, The user is his own Bank. So, we have to know The basics...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: