Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:59:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PSU Problems  (Read 598 times)
scoce (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:53:04 PM

Ok, so I'm obviously new.  I SHOULD have listened to all of the others that have gone before me when stating that the PSU is not something you skimp on. 

After 7 hours of mining scrypt based (getting 1.4 Mh/s), my PSU went dead and wont spin.

Soo.. question.  I have 2 r9 280x cards and planning on getting a 1000W PSU.  Is that sufficient if I wanted to run 3 cards eventually on this board?  Of course I'd use risers when I went up to deal with heat.

Thoughts?
Fabrizio

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 05:06:34 PM

PSU's have different specs too, so even some 1000W models might have problems with 4 cards on heavy loads. But if you go with quality PSU like corsair or seasonic, you wont have problems Smiley

Running 4 7970 ati's on corsair tx 850w Wink

Freicoin [FRC]: 1CPPYhvmVegTxmQVNk4QzUfqx5MUfMnjG5 (SHA-256'ing @ Joe's Pool) -  Datacoin [DTC]: DSbjvc8Y1Yqj277S4AKqQ6qkYcFocqBaTy - Bitcoin BTC: 137x97rjuPZv5VZF9NJWVCJsug6mPtMDFT -
BawsyBoss

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 06:11:17 PM

I agree with him. The best brands IMHO are Seasonic, Corsair, and Coolermaster. Corsair is definitely my top pick of those 3.

Forever strong.
CptEpic

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 07:48:10 PM

Corsiar / Seasonic are the way to go. But stay away from the "cx-XXX" series of corsair (builder series). Not near the quality of the rest of theirs, and the price shows it.
Seasonic is the most reliable, IMO.
sgsdebruijn

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:15:16 PM

Corsair RM1000, using it with 3 280x
949miner

Activity: 448

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 08:16:14 PM

Agreed with all the advice I have a corsair 850 AX for trifire 6970 . Your cards are power hungry if your planning on trifire (3 cards) I would suggest get the largest 1000-1200 purchase a watt meter $15-20 so you can see the power draw and make sure your in range.

Spend the extra money for your powersupply

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
scoce (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:30:36 PM

Thanks all!  I decided to go with the Corsair 1050.  Grin

Now I have to really hope that the old blown PSU didn't knock out any of my other components.

For those of you with multiple cards in one closed case, is 82 degrees just too damned hot for running 24/7, or should I really try to keep the temp down?  I know they CAN go higher, but it just seems really hot to me.

Thanks for the advice!!
Velodrom

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:40:46 PM

Platinum 1250W all the way
celebreze32

Activity: 296

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:31:02 PM

I was thinking of risking skimping on the power supply until I read this. You have probably saved me from wrecking some good cards that I cannot afford to wreck. Could someone advise me where the best place to buy power supplies is?
chrismb54

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:15:50 PM

Can cards really be destroyed by a bad PSU? Or is it only the PSU that can be destroyed? Im going to make a mining rig with 4 280x and i already have a 850W and a 450W that Im not using, is there any way to combine them so i can use them on my rig?
kylekartan

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:49:55 PM

I was thinking of risking skimping on the power supply until I read this. You have probably saved me from wrecking some good cards that I cannot afford to wreck. Could someone advise me where the best place to buy power supplies is?

I usually get mine from Amazon or NewEgg. Both carry the brands that have been mentioned.
scoce (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:55:55 PM

I use newegg for all my PC parts.  As far as a PSU frying things?... Yeah, a low quality one, if fried, can take out a motherboard or anything else under load, but a high quality powersupply will probably just crap itself and not cause issues beyond that.   Seriously... if you're debating whether or not to get a higher quality/ higher Watt PSU.. do it.  I've been reading about a ton of people that didn't heed this warning and lost money because of it.  I should have listened..  Cry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: