Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:31:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux mine downtime prevention  (Read 638 times)
danboid (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:34:49 PM

Hi BTCtalk forum!

I've recently set up a mining rig running cgminer (3.8.2) under Debian (Jessie amd64) that has 30 Icarus USB block erupters attached. Every 2 or 3 days the erupters get ZOMBIEfied and I need to manually restart cgminer, then they run fine for another couple of days or so. Not ideal!

This situation has given rise to my following questions:

1 - I'm still using cgminer 3.8.2 simply because its the version currently in the Jessie repos. Might 3.10.0 be more reliable for use with ASICs?

2 - I've not tried bfgminer or any other Linux mining software - might I get better results with bfgminer or something else?

3 - I'm under the impression, due to the existence of cgwatcher/ANUBIS etc, that none of these apps (cgminer, bfgminer) feature integrated failover restarting/monitoring yet? Why not? Is it planned?

4 - Whats the best mine monitoring app that helps prevent downtime that works under Linux? I've only really heard people recommend ANUBIS. Is there nothing else?

5 - Is ANUBIS capable of detecting and restarting cgminer for my Icarus mines when they get zombiefied?

6 - There seems to be at least 3 different forks of ANUBIS already. Is pshep's the best?

7 - What are ANUBIS's dependency version requirements (cgminer version, PHP, Mysql etc.)

I've already filed a ticket against ANUBIS on github before I've even tried it as the README doesn't explain what ANUBIS is or what features it has - hence my fat wad of monitoring questions!

Thanks for your help!
okimzti

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:36:35 PM

just set a cronjob that kills of cgminer and restarts it once a day?

3 - I'm under the impression, due to the existence of cgwatcher/ANUBIS etc, that none of these apps (cgminer, bfgminer) feature integrated failover restarting/monitoring yet? Why not? Is it planned?

Download the source. add the functionality you want to see and make a pull request.  The author will add your changes in if he sees them useful.  Opensource rocks!
okbadboy

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:42:02 PM

i dont know
danboid (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 09:54:25 PM

just set a cronjob that kills of cgminer and restarts it once a day?

Not the most elegant solution that but if ANUBIS can't detect and restart (cgminer for) zombie'fied ASICs and if cgwatcher doesn't work under wine then thats prob what I'll end up doing. I'd only use cgwatcher if it could work with the Linux version of cgminer though - I wouldn't want to run the actual mining software under wine too.

It usually can last a day or two before cgminer needs to be restarted but I've also seen 'the attack of the ZOMBIE ASICs' come after only a few hours too. Running a cron job to kill and restart cgminer every couple of hours seems too much.
okimzti

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 10:43:39 PM

I am betting you can run the API built into cgminer to query its statistics, then run actions based off that.  That is basically how cgwatcher operates.  Would require a little programming, even if just some simple python or php
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: