Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:46:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing  (Read 84293 times)
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:48:32 AM

Interesting project with a novel algorithm. From what I understand, the algorithm (Dagger) is memory-hard not necessarily in bandwidth, but in space; using something like a GPU (with many threads) would benefit most from having lots of system memory:

This algorithm provides a proof of work mining function with memory hardness properties that are not ideal, but that are nevertheless a massive improvement over anything available previously. It takes 512 MB to evaluate, 112 KB memory and 4078 hashes to verify, and even the tinest time-memory tradeoff is not worthwhile to implement because of the bottom-level branching adjustment. These parameters allow Dagger to be much more daring in its memory requirements than Primecoin or scrypt, asking for 512 MB of RAM for a single thread. Because the primary determinant of hardness is memory, and not computation, specialized hardware has only a tiny advantage; even an optimal Dagger mining ASIC would have little to offer over a hobbyist purchasing hundreds of gigabytes of memory cards off the shelf and plugging them into a medium-power GPU. And even in such an equilibrium, mining with ordinary CPUs will likely continue to be practical.

512MB per thread .. wow.

I'll remain skeptical of possible speculation about the absence of TMTO solutions, as I've certainly heard this one before.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:53:10 AM

I'm not knowledgeable about how fast GDDR5 is vs. DDR3, but I don't think it's an order of magnitude right?

About half an order of magnitude in terms of BW

The main problem with vRAM tends to be latency, but it's less of an issue if you plan your implementation well

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:54:46 AM

i'll mine this coin
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:12:00 AM

What I don't understand is who will do the computing for the Turing-complete "contracts"?

So a "contract" is supposed to be some script that is embedded on the blockchain. People can send messages to the contract that it will take as input to some computation. Maybe a simple example would be a vending machine. I send some bitcoins with a message "I want a Coke" to the vending machine contract. The vending machine processes my input and directs the physical vending machine in front of me to vend a Coke.

But that code has to run on a computer somewhere. Does it run on a miner's computer? If that's true then what prevents me from injecting malicious code? For example code that never halts and ties up resources?

Even if you don't have malicious code I could imagine people building complicated scripts that might tie up computation resources. How do you create an effective incentive scheme for miners then? You can't just use the code size because there is no relation between code size and resources required to run the code.

It looks like they try to mitigate this by taxing operations with fees:

Code:
TXFEE (100x) - fee for sending a transaction
NEWCONTRACTFEE (100x) - fee for creating a new contract, not including the memory fee for each item in script code
STEPFEE (x) - fee for every computational step after than first sixteen in contract execution
MEMORYFEE (100x) - fee for adding a new item to a contract's memory, including when first creating a contract. The memory fee is the only fee that is not paid to a miner, and is refunded when memory from a contract is removed.
DATAFEE (20x) - fee for accessing or setting a contract's memory from inside that contract
EXTROFEE (40x) - fee for accessing memory from another contract inside a contract
CRYPTOFEE (20x) - fee for using any of the cryptographic operations

Code:
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:31:52 AM

I was aware of this since about a week from the i3 forums. Apparently creator of ethereum is an ex founder of invictus.

I also read the white paper seems promising, however I see no mention of an IPO like OP says or am I missing something?

simbo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:41:39 AM

Very interesting!!!  Shocked

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:45:00 AM

You could even put sha256 mining code in your contract. So anyone can come along and contract an Ethereum miner to mine bitcoin for them.

That is ... genius. The thought of an idea like that actually being possible.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
Ghepetto

Activity: 285
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:51:50 AM

"a superior foundational layer offering a uniquely powerful scripting system on top of which arbitrarily advanced contracts, currencies and other decentralized applications can be built"

Is this similar to the madesparq project? 

--------------------Bagholder Extraordinaire--------------------
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:00:08 PM

I was aware of this since about a week from the i3 forums. Apparently creator of ethereum is an ex founder of invictus.

I also read the white paper seems promising, however I see no mention of an IPO like OP says or am I missing something?

There's supposed to be a mastercoin style IPO where a certain number of USD/BTC yields some ETH

Code:
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:27:28 PM

Can it be mined with GPU?

Yes and no. Dagger has a minimum of 512MB memory per thread, so while it would be GPU mineable, it doesn't appear that this would be superior to CPU mining. It looks like blade servers with a 512MB/core ratio would be the most effective miners, at least off the bat.

Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:20:07 PM

one to watch
SyRenity

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:25:34 PM

I would speculate from the at least 3-5 people currently hacking on GitHub (and the rumoured current staffing of 5-20 people), that they already have a massive amount of funding running into the millions of dollars.

This gives a Ripple de-javu. These millions have to be paid off some way, any chance it will be 90% for Eth. and 10% for the community?
miramare

Activity: 1162
Merit: 568

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:20:42 PM

Really a very interesting project.

I'm looking forward to more info.
charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:51:14 PM

Alright guys since you're speculating about Ethereum, I figured I'd drop by and say hi. I'm one of the core developers. Go ahead and post your questions here

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
atleticofa

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:53:34 PM

It looks a great project!
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:54:42 PM

Will the forum be back up or is there a new link to it?
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:54:59 PM

Alright guys since you're speculating about Ethereum, I figured I'd drop by and say hi. I'm one of the core developers. Go ahead and post your questions here

charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:58:34 PM

Will the forum be back up or is there a new link to it?

We've been mostly trying to run in silent mode for a bit, but the project got too big too quickly and thus the flood of traffic crashed our website. We should have a better foundation in play and the blog, wiki, forums as well as website fully operational by the end of the week. We have a hard limit for the Miami conference.

We are also getting a newsletter setup alongside some partner integrations to help us both with the fundraiser and keeping the community informed about what's going on. Believe me when I say that what you have seen is the very tip of a very large iceberg.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
SyRenity

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:10:39 PM

I would speculate from the at least 3-5 people currently hacking on GitHub (and the rumoured current staffing of 5-20 people), that they already have a massive amount of funding running into the millions of dollars.

This gives a Ripple de-javu. These millions have to be paid off some way, any chance it will be 90% for Eth. and 10% for the community?
charleshoskinson
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 10:17:06 PM

While we as a project have not accepted a single bitcoin in funding yet, there are some significant commitments. All fundraising will be done in an open and transparent way with equal treatment for everyone.

We are currently exploring the notion of a BTC to Ether swap and thus this would not infer control or voting rights to the investors in any way. The only way anyone (including the founders) make money with Ethereum is if it realises the utility the whitepaper has outlined. I believe with the team we have and the needs of the market, this will be the case on a grand scale.

I would like to add, once the website is up, I think everyonemost people(troll insurance) will be very happy with the distribution model. We spent a lot of time trying to model it after a startup as it grows to a full IPOed company. We are not like Ripple nor Bitcoin nor protoshares. Ethereum is its own model.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: