Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:39:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing  (Read 84291 times)
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:05:02 PM

This is an unofficial thread and some details may not be answered by the PR group or devs. I would advise the links provided by OP(tacotime) to forums/additional info be used, and not rely solely on this thread until formally posted by the Founders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
indigon

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:11:38 PM

So how does investing in this coin work? Where is the IPO info?

BTC: 1PmcexFQGQ8ax51MfwmvAVLaQMLgd8A1jc 
LTC: LZqrgT7r6v1dXSNz2CcyacTcLx4BiB3Gqy 
USDe: GTQ83soyutN44KrLY8TfYbQGnMMiQF7emT
noedelx

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:17:44 PM

is this a coin wich we can mine (just like any other altcoin)
Also when can we start mining it?

or is this a coin wich we buy ( premined) ?
and when can we start buying?
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:47:59 PM

(also NXT ipo was too short and invisible and maybe was even closed early, that's why price shot up afterwards. Had they waited long enough with high exposure to and broad discussion by the public, price would've been "exactly right" after ipo)

Do you mean it could/should have also been 0.0001 NXT/BTC?

The NXT launch wasn't invisible, not sure why people think that.  Also, the goal of Nxt launch wasn't too have some Bitcoin Conference mass marketing IPO extravaganza.  It was to get a working POS system launched and let the community take over.  Yet many people have misconceptions about it being a scam coin.   To me, a scam coin is one that draws hundreds/thousands of btc investment in a pre-sale and then caters to ASIC miners. 
td services

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:48:40 PM

Both, pre-sale before mining, don't know schedule.
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:49:53 PM

Why was the Ethereum forum taken down? 
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:51:03 PM

Why was the Ethereum forum taken down? 

http://forum.ethereum.org/
td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:55:28 PM

(also NXT ipo was too short and invisible and maybe was even closed early, that's why price shot up afterwards. Had they waited long enough with high exposure to and broad discussion by the public, price would've been "exactly right" after ipo)

The NXT launch wasn't invisible, not sure why people think that.  Also, the goal of Nxt launch wasn't too have some Bitcoin Conference mass marketing IPO extravaganza.  It was to get a working POS system launched and let the community take over.  Yet many people have misconceptions about it being a scam coin.   To me, a scam coin is one that draws hundreds/thousands of btc investment in a pre-sale and then caters to ASIC miners. 

It wasn't invisible, but it was cut short with no advance notice to prevent further dilution of existing investment. A week later, they started selling NXT at a 4762% markup (yes, that's over 47X original purchase price).

NXT is number 2 on the scamcoin poll, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=361286.0 .
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:10:14 PM

It wasn't invisible, but it was cut short with no advance notice to prevent further dilution of existing investment. A week later, they started selling NXT at a 4762% markup (yes, that's over 47X original purchase price).

NXT is number 2 on the scamcoin poll, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=361286.0 .

That poll is so ridiculous i voted for Bitcoin just for kicks.

msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:15:17 PM

"They" you are referring to were people who took a risk to donate to an unknown developer's project, regular forum members like you and me, the founder didn't sell a thing, in fact, he has only given away millions of Nxt to developers.  The markup you are talking about is still more than 100x cheaper than Ethereum IPO price.  I bought 1M nxt for 1BTC.  Your reference to the scamcoin poll makes you look ignorant, you and I both know those are envy polls.  Where is Ethereum on that list?  BCNext ended the Nxt IPO early because he didn't want to collect hundreds of BTC.
x0rcist

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:17:49 PM

For what i read about this;

Ethereum was born from Invictus and Bitshares or maybe better this guy was actually one of the founders (CEO) of Bitshares. After an argue he said goodbye and started Ethereum with all flaws fixed that are in Protoshares/Invictus/Keyhotee. So basicly this should be Bitshares/Keyhotee on steroids. Definatly one to watch!! It will be announced on the upcoming bitcoin conference if i good remember.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:18:23 PM

That poll is so ridiculous i voted for Bitcoin just for kicks.

BitcoinjustforkicksCoin is a scam.. coin..
I would like to get molecular and GigaCoin's opinion on what ETH is all about? Opinions count.

vtbean79

Activity: 82

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:37:37 PM

Looks interesting
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:45:58 PM

... divide the IPO price by 1000 and multiply every other number by 1000. There, the coin is now "cheap". Better yet, denominate everything in terms of "wei" -- "wow, I can have a quadrillion coins for a satoshi? Deal!"

I'm still puzzled as to why the initial offering price is at all important here.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:55:35 PM

... divide the IPO price by 1000 and multiply every other number by 1000. There, the coin is now "cheap". Better yet, denominate everything in terms of "wei" -- "wow, I can have a quadrillion coins for a satoshi? Deal!"

I'm still puzzled as to why the initial offering price is at all important here.

Because it's a POW coin.  People want to know if it makes more sense to buy it or mine it. 
td services

black swan hunter

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:16:58 PM

"They" you are referring to were people who took a risk to donate to an unknown developer's project, regular forum members like you and me, the founder didn't sell a thing, in fact, he has only given away millions of Nxt to developers.  The markup you are talking about is still more than 100x cheaper than Ethereum IPO price.  I bought 1M nxt for 1BTC.  Your reference to the scamcoin poll makes you look ignorant, you and I both know those are envy polls.  Where is Ethereum on that list?  BCNext ended the Nxt IPO early because he didn't want to collect hundreds of BTC.

You're partially correct - BCNext (and/or come-from-beyond) didn't want to collect more BTC, maybe even hundreds of BTC, which would reduce their percentages of the distribution. If they had just announced the early close because they collected enough BTC, they probably would not have collected much over 5 or 10 more BTC since it was a high risk investment and not have caused animosity among those interested but not yet invested.

People tend to focus on price per share in a pre-sale, but what they should really look at is the price for a given percentage of the total pre-sale. If the shares are PoW mined, then the net rate of issuance of new shares is also a factor.
msin
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:20:28 PM

You're partially correct - BCNext (and/or come-from-beyond) didn't want to collect more BTC, maybe even hundreds of BTC, which would reduce their percentages of the distribution. If they had just announced the early close because they collected enough BTC, they probably would not have collected much over 5 or 10 more BTC since it was a high risk investment and not have caused animosity among those interested but not yet invested.

People tend to focus on price per share in a pre-sale, but what they should really look at is the price for a given percentage of the total pre-sale. If the shares are PoW mined, then the net rate of issuance of new shares is also a factor.

How much are you investing?  It seems to me that the more people invest, the worse off for everyone in terms of ROI, am I correct?
jimhsu

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:21:37 PM

Because it's a POW coin.  People want to know if it makes more sense to buy it or mine it.  

Absolutely doesn't matter. Mining output scales as the amount of initial issued currency. The only thing that matters is how much BTC is invested in the first place, not what denomination that BTC is converted to.

Now if mining output did not depend linearily on the amount of issued currency (if it were 50 coins/block like BTC, for instance), then there would be a difference, and your point would be correct.

Thus if economic rational theory is correct, the price per ether (whatever it is - again, it's not important) should be the same during the IPO period (if sufficiently long - see NXT for a counterexample), right after the IPO period, and at the start of mining, assuming mining/market starts instantaneously after the conclusion of the IPO.

kovand11

Activity: 61

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:31:35 PM

This coin, is a scam in my eye. To much premine, too high starting price. This coin simply not worth that much.
jimhsu

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 11:31:39 PM

The NXT launch wasn't invisible, not sure why people think that.  Also, the goal of Nxt launch wasn't too have some Bitcoin Conference mass marketing IPO extravaganza.  It was to get a working POS system launched and let the community take over.  Yet many people have misconceptions about it being a scam coin.   To me, a scam coin is one that draws hundreds/thousands of btc investment in a pre-sale and then caters to ASIC miners.  

How much are you investing?  It seems to me that the more people invest, the worse off for everyone in terms of ROI, am I correct?

It would appear so; however don't disregard network effects. An increase of n BTCs invested might dilute the stake linearily, but assuming non worst-case allocation of those coins (in other words, the investments come from new members), increase the exposure of the coin exponentially.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: