Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:30:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing  (Read 84293 times)
404notfound

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:56:59 AM

Ethereum wouldn't work as well as pure pos because it needs miners to process contracts. Unlike most other coins the main focus of ethereum seems to be on running contract based scrypts. In my opinion this will develop into a system of apps directly integrated with a decentralized economy.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:33:07 AM

I would like to know how Ethereum blocks will be orphaned. All processed contracts from an orphaned block will be rolled back step by step from Z to A? Looks too difficult if possible at all...
spiffcow

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:05:54 AM

I'm thinking about investing into Wookiedoo, but I have to wonder, would putting my money into mining hardware be more effective? Or would the best strategy be to split the investment between IPO and hardware? Also, to confirm, this revaluation of the IPO means than 10x less ether ( than under the old IPO value) will ever be created?

Definitely invest in mining hardware.  If the whole thing tanks tomorrow you'll still be able to sell the hardware. If you join the IPO, you could lose it all.
seek4dream

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:19:11 AM

when and how can i purchase Ethereum?
lonsharim

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:18:40 PM

Has the clock been pushed forward another week on http://ethereum.org/? I thought the clock was counting down to 24th.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:29:37 PM

/cpp-ethereum/libethereum/Common.cpp:28:18: fatal error: sha3.h: No such file or directory
 #include <sha3.h>
                  ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [libethereum/CMakeFiles/ethereum.dir/Common.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libethereum/CMakeFiles/ethereum.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

trying to build on ubuntu saucy. what is this sha3 thing
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 01:32:34 PM

Please, help me.
Where can I get from a client for linux?  Roll Eyes

Cryptostats.es
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:41:01 PM

Has the clock been pushed forward another week on http://ethereum.org/? I thought the clock was counting down to 24th.

Yes it has, I guess he needs for time to figure out orphaned block.
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:42:20 PM

site is so bad and broken in chrome 26..  Shocked
twistelaar
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:58:55 PM

When can I get this coin? And for what price? thanks a lot!
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:09:41 PM

What is the point of investing in a currency with inflation ?

The value of Bitcoin is going up. The value of a currency with inflation go down. The difference between the two is huge growing gap.

So why ? I'm open minded, I just want to understand.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:05:19 PM

What is the point of investing in a currency with inflation ?

The value of Bitcoin is going up. The value of a currency with inflation go down. The difference between the two is huge growing gap.

So why ? I'm open minded, I just want to understand.

I'm not going to pretend to understand everything, or half of what I've read about Ethereum.  But where much of bitcoins assumed value comes from difficulty obtaining bitcoins, low supply and high demand.  It's more like collecting baseball cards in some ways than currency.

This looks to me more like the way it is structured to reflect a real economy.  The value is based more on widespread adoption and the complexity of the transactions available.  I hope the inflation is able to stabilize the value of the currency. 
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:19:11 PM

cryptocurrencies were designed so that inflation is NOT present as it is the root of all evil.

its not much different if the central bank prints money or ghash.io mines ethereum. its just a decision that devaluates your money.
flug

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:33:17 PM

cryptocurrencies were designed so that inflation is NOT present as it is the root of all evil.

its not much different if the central bank prints money or ghash.io mines ethereum. its just a decision that devaluates your money.

At some point in the future, the rate of coins being mined will equal the rate of coins being lost.

That's more like currency maintenance than inflation.
Angkor

Activity: 53

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:24:21 PM

Agree
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 07:39:21 PM

To me, POW is such a waste of resources, we are spending millions on resources to mine BTC, it doesn't seem like the direction we should continue heading as the world struggles with limited resources.  The amount of power wasted mining BTC is absolutely atrocious. 

Limited resources = electricity gets more expensive = mining isn't as profitable = fewer miners waste electricity mining. As the mining rewards decrease, resources spent on mining will decrease too. Do you know how much power we are wasting supporting the current financial system? All the energy used to run the bank wire and credit card networks and servers, all the power needed to cool and heat banking buildings that to the same accounting and security that's done automatically by miners, all the money spend on security, bank vaults, guards, armored vehicles, etc. How much of that power are we wasting, compared to bitcoin?

Regarding your concerns with POS, read up on Transparent Forging.

Hmm, that is a good idea. So, if I have a majority of the coins in a PoW system, I would need the majority of other users agreeing not to use me to forge the next block in order for my fork change not to go through? What if I own the majority of coins, but they are split up in thousands of smaller amounts, each of which asks one of my own addresses to forge the neck block? How will my thousand "sock puppet" wallets compete against normal users?

POW is completely susceptible to corporate control, look at the mining pools, you are close to 51% with Ghash.io alone. 

Mining pools aren't mining hardware. They aren't the ones securing transactions. All they provide is a place for miners to coongregate, but miners are free to switch from pool to pool as they wish. This prevents pools from doing bad things, because doing so would cause miners to abandon them, and make the pool lose all its income. Look at the mining pools. They are close, but never go above 51%, because miners keep moving to keep the % below 50.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 07:58:52 PM by Rassah

To ignore coin and profit is to deny reality. Communism is a failed experiment. We laud your generosity to invest on possibilities and your wherewithal to invest 20 Btc on visionary projects. Thank you. However, your noble actions are somewhat diluted by your criticism of others.

Sorry, I'm not a communist, and that is not my intent with my post. My point is that it's like people are arguing about how many shares of stock Google has issued, and at what starting price, wodering how much their shares will be diluted, while ignoring the actual business plans and people behind Google who will actually make those stock shares be worth something. People focus too much on the supply/demand side of economics, not the network effects enabled by the capabilities of the coin software. Much like people who don't understand bitcoin complain about it's supply/demand, and complete lack of backing compared to FIAT and gold, while completelly ignoring the fact that bitcoin can replace most of our world's financial and legal asset systems.
Klonewars

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:02:16 PM

Clever enough to create a new financial system but stupid enough to use photos from FB on the site?

I'm not sure I can invest money in people that look like D&D players.
Conurtrol

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:11:18 PM

Clever enough to create a new financial system but stupid enough to use photos from FB on the site?

I'm not sure I can invest money in people that look like D&D players.

Those are exactly the people you want to invest money with.
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:20:06 PM

I'm new to the concept of Ethereum (just learned about it from this morning's article on coindesk) but it appears to be worth investigating.

A few (related) questions I will be trying to answer:

1. Is Ethereum necessarily a competitor to bitcoin, or is it complementary?

2. Can Ethereum work in conjunction with bitcoin? eg can you write a contract in Ethereum that is denominated in bitcoin?

3. Could bitcoin be modified, in the words of Jeff Garzik, "to incorporate any highly desirable features into a future bitcoin revision" ? adopt the basic concept of Ethereum? From what I've learned so far, Ethereum seems sufficiently different from bitcoin that this would not be straightforward.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: