Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:05:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you ever consider insuring your bitcoin holdings?  (Read 1818 times)
ohiofarmer (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 11:55:35 PM

A UK company called Elliptic Vault is claiming to be the first company in the world to offer insured bitcoin storage.

Bitcoin keys are encrypted and stored offline. There are multiple copies, protected by layers of cryptographic and physical security. The copies are accessible only via a quorum of Elliptic's directors.

The fee is 2% of your coverage level annually. Here's their faq page: https://www.elliptic.co/vault/faq

The part that I find really interesting about it is that their underwriting is done by Lloyd's. If that's not a sign that bitcoin is going mainstream, I don't know what is!

BadBitcoin (James Sutton)
Donator

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:19:55 AM

A UK company called Elliptic Vault is claiming to be the first company in the world to offer insured bitcoin storage.

Bitcoin keys are encrypted and stored offline. There are multiple copies, protected by layers of cryptographic and physical security. The copies are accessible only via a quorum of Elliptic's directors.

The fee is 2% of your coverage level annually. Here's their faq page: https://www.elliptic.co/vault/faq

The part that I find really interesting about it is that their underwriting is done by Lloyd's. If that's not a sign that bitcoin is going mainstream, I don't know what is!

This completely defeats the monetary purpose of bitcoin. great a large, multi-word password for your wallet. Print off a paper wallet with Armoury, then place your paper wallet in hundreds of places scattered everywhere so you always have access to it in a pinch, nothing more needs to be done.
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:22:55 AM

Go to www.grc.com/password and use one of the randomly generated passwords that Steve Gibson's site generates for your wallet password. Not to worry the password you choose to use never gets randomly generated again. Smiley

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:24:40 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 12:49:48 AM by HairyMaclairy

My house, my car, my life, my income, my health are all insured.  

Why wouldn't I want to insure my bitcoins?   I didn't write Armoury.  I have no way of knowing that their seed can be trusted. And some random person's opinion on an Internet forum is unlikely to change that.  

At least I can sue the Lloyd's names.  I sincerely doubt that the creator of Armoury has sufficient assets to cover losses if the program is found to be fatally flawed for some yet to be determined reason.
notig

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:44:56 AM

I personally wouldn't but I can see people who might. 2 % seems expensive... If I was going to use them I would try to get the lowest coverage possible.... like 10k or somemthing even if the coins were worth 500k +  and just rely on their good storage.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:51:13 AM

It would be very helpful if someone is able to get a copy of the insurance policy wording so we could look at it. 
izaa12

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:55:36 AM

I wouldnt just because i don't want any official entities knowing about my bitcoin holdings.  period
smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:26:06 AM

My house, my car, my life, my income, my health are all insured.  

Why wouldn't I want to insure my bitcoins?   I didn't write Armoury.  I have no way of knowing that their seed can be trusted. And some random person's opinion on an Internet forum is unlikely to change that.  

At least I can sue the Lloyd's names.  I sincerely doubt that the creator of Armoury has sufficient assets to cover losses if the program is found to be fatally flawed for some yet to be determined reason.

Bitcoin I don't think has evolved enough yet to have any "real" insurance for it's own currency. But lets take this back a step, what needs to happen first is the Exchanges need to become more responsible and manage all trades between the buyers and sellers of bitcoin which will help stabilize bitcoin more, this way corporate companies like insurance companies which you have clearly depended on will be happy to provide you with a policy to protect your bitcoins as they will feel more comfortable in dealing in bitcoins knowing that when they exchange their coins for fiat they won't be scammed.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:05:41 AM

I was wondering when a site like this would come along.  I think it is a great idea.  Gaining the trust of people holding bitcoins would be the toughest part, since insurance on bitcoins is relatively uncharted territory.   The first thing that comes to everyone's mind is that the person or company holding the coins is going to take off with everyone's money...
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:22:20 AM

Although I think my bitcoins are fairly safe.... if I had a pretty large amount of bitcoins then yes I would seriously consider getting them insured.

Same thing applies to cash, some people would rather hold it themselves and take their own security measures....other's would rather keep it in the bank of security and insurance reasons.

I think offering insurance on bitcoins is something A LOT of regular every day people would want to do ,  we can sit here and talk about how to make paper wallets and keep things secure etc etc but I think for the average person it's a bit too confusing and they'd much rather pay a small annual fee to know if something ever happened they won't lose their money.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:28:33 AM

Although I think my bitcoins are fairly safe.... if I had a pretty large amount of bitcoins then yes I would seriously consider getting them insured.

Same thing applies to cash, some people would rather hold it themselves and take their own security measures....other's would rather keep it in the bank of security and insurance reasons.

I think offering insurance on bitcoins is something A LOT of regular every day people would want to do ,  we can sit here and talk about how to make paper wallets and keep things secure etc etc but I think for the average person it's a bit too confusing and they'd much rather pay a small annual fee to know if something ever happened they won't lose their money.

Sounds like your giving the bansters a way into bitcoin. Smiley
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:36:09 AM

It's a good idea for some although I would never go down this route - kind of defeats the object somewhat.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:02:14 AM

nice idea, but at 2% annual isn't practical in a long term. 10% for 100 or even 50, or 20 years and they probably would be already having some customers but then it isn't probably practical for them to offer such rates at current valuation of bitcoin. 
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:02:41 AM

Sounds like your giving the bansters a way into bitcoin. Smiley

Sure and personally I have no problem with that.... here's why.  Even if theres banks or similar things offering insurance on peoples bitcoins or willing to hold them  or making it easier for people to use them (ie a debit card type system)  there is still always the option of people doing transactions or holdings or whatever on their own.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. We can have multiple options for people out there. Maybe people who don't understand bitcoin too much or arent computer savy and find holding their own bitcoins as too insecure can use something like a bank that offers insurance and protections on their bitcoin.  For other people like yourself there is still the P2P aspect of bitcoin and that will never go away.

It's just added options for different types of people out there and allows the adoption and expansion of bitcoin to continue.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 04:30:14 AM

if you insure your bitcoins, you reintroduce the need for third party trust....in THE INSURER!! it completely defeats the purpose. if you can't insure a private key against loss or theft, then you probably don't deserve to have the coins. secure a string of characters.  how in insuring any simpler or safer than securing?  it's madness. Show most people still just don't get how the whole thing works.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:16:32 AM

if you insure your bitcoins, you reintroduce the need for third party trust....in THE INSURER!! it completely defeats the purpose. if you can't insure a private key against loss or theft, then you probably don't deserve to have the coins. secure a string of characters.  how in insuring any simpler or safer than securing?  it's madness. Show most people still just don't get how the whole thing works.

Why does it have to be one or the other though?

Why can't less technical people or as I call them "everyday people"  use a 3rd party system to keep their money safe. While other people choose to hold onto their bitcoins themselves or do transactions without any 3rd parties.

Even if 3rd party systems start to be the norm,  bitcoin is still P2P so you still have the freedom to use it however you want.

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 05:23:02 AM

Why can't less technical people or as I call them "everyday people"  use a 3rd party system to keep their money safe. While other people choose to hold onto their bitcoins themselves or do transactions without any 3rd parties.

Even if 3rd party systems start to be the norm,  bitcoin is still P2P so you still have the freedom to use it however you want.

it doesn't have to be one or the other, but it's only half insurance. Lloyds of London will turn over your coin if they receive a court order to do so. How do you insure against that? Governments are far more efficient at stealing than the private sector.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:09:46 AM

No it doesn't.
Have fun holding private keys worth a few millions in your house.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BTCisthefuture

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:27:10 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2014, 06:40:19 AM by BTCisthefuture

if you insure your bitcoins, you reintroduce the need for third party trust....in THE INSURER!! it completely defeats the purpose. if you can't insure a private key against loss or theft, then you probably don't deserve to have the coins. secure a string of characters.  how in insuring any simpler or safer than securing?  it's madness. Show most people still just don't get how the whole thing works.

Why can't less technical people or as I call them "everyday people"  use a 3rd party system to keep their money safe. While other people choose to hold onto their bitcoins themselves or do transactions without any 3rd parties.

Even if 3rd party systems start to be the norm,  bitcoin is still P2P so you still have the freedom to use it however you want.

it doesn't have to be one or the other, but it's only half insurance. Lloyds of London will turn over your coin if they receive a court order to do so. How do you insure against that? Governments are far more efficient at stealing than the private sector.

That's a whole seperate issue though. If bitcoins were illegal to own then yes you risk having them seized, weither they are in your possession or in the possession of someone holding them for you. Also if bitcoins were illegal then there wont be companies offering insurance on it in the first place.

If it's a case of bitcoins being allowed but a government wants to seize your bitcoins it would likely be because you were doing something illegal. Again having an insurer or not doesn't matter in that situation.  DPR didn't need a 3rd party to hold his bitcoins in order for the FBI to seize them during his arrest.  

If there are places offering insurance and protection on your bitcoins then we are assuming that bitcoins are legal. If they aren't then the issue of insurers is moot anyways.  Also, if you were obtaining bitcoins through illegal acts (selling drugs for instance)  again it wouldn't really matter if you had an insurer or not, law enforcement will still try their best to seize them regardless.

HairyMaclairy
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:34:11 AM

If it somehow became public knowledge that you had a piece of paper in your house that was worth $120 million USD how long do you think it would take for your front door to be kicked down by a very determined group of heavily armed bandits?  Or for a group to jump you when you come from the bank safety deposit box?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: