Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:09:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone trading bitcoins profitably here?  (Read 1675 times)
tommy87 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:50:37 AM

Hey,

I'm interested if anyone's here trading Bitcoin profitably here (short term buying/selling)

If so, I'd like to hear a little bit more about it, maybe get some blog links etc. Haven't found anything decent yet.

Thanks
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:00:33 AM

short-term to me is months and weeks for trades.

One thing I've taken away is taking some cash off the table and investing into other stores of value is not a bad option.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:04:21 AM

Hey,

I'm interested if anyone's here trading Bitcoin profitably here (short term buying/selling)

If so, I'd like to hear a little bit more about it, maybe get some blog links etc. Haven't found anything decent yet.

Thanks

My strategy isn't terribly scientific, but it works.  Sell bad news, buy when the bad news has been absorbed.  Absorption rate depends on the severity of the news.  Terrible news takes 24 hours or so.  Work back from there.  The Chinese have a considerable advantage using this technique as the FUD originates from China, generally.  The guys who preach TA are generally wrong.  I've tried those TA subscription services just to see if their claims are legit.  They are not.  Save your money.
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:05:42 AM

Unless you can move the market yourself...... then good luck!

I'm sure some people have profited, but I'm sure more people have lost.

I lost. I would learn to trade alt coins if I tried it all over again. Buying and selling bitcoin for profit is not easy.
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:35:37 AM

short-term to me is months and weeks for trades.

One thing I've taken away is taking some cash off the table and investing into other stores of value is not a bad option.

+1

Also I have learned that I do a lot better trading against alts than against USD. LTC/BTC is my favourite pair.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:39:51 AM

Hey,

Thanks

Done well when the market was rising and done well on the first crash by selling high and rebuying low....

....since the market has been going down I have generally been breaking even overall.

Obviously, when market is in decline, it is much easier to lose money than to make money....I should also mention that due to my over negative stance on Bitcoin, I sat out for much of the $500 - $900 uptrend.

I have found that arepo has made some good calls of late (search his forum thread in this subsection).

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
favelle75

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:36:41 AM

Hey,

Thanks

My strategy isn't terribly scientific, but it works.  Sell bad news, buy when the bad news has been absorbed.  Absorption rate depends on the severity of the news.  Terrible news takes 24 hours or so.  Work back from there.  The Chinese have a considerable advantage using this technique as the FUD originates from China, generally.  The guys who preach TA are generally wrong.  I've tried those TA subscription services just to see if their claims are legit.  They are not.  Save your money.

100% this. TA for BTC is shit. The BTC market does not react like a traditional market. Its VERY volatile and any piece of news, good or bad, will send the price in huge swings.  Play those swings and you can make quite a bit of money (or better yet, more BTC). Daily.

I myself trade the LTC/BTC ratio. This way, I am never a bagholder for USD or fiat.

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
███████  ████████  ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
████████████  ████████  ████████████
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
traderCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:47:39 AM

Hey,

Thanks

100% this. TA for BTC is shit. The BTC market does not react like a traditional market. Its VERY volatile and any piece of news, good or bad, will send the price in huge swings.  Play those swings and you can make quite a bit of money (or better yet, more BTC). Daily.

I myself trade the LTC/BTC ratio. This way, I am never a bagholder for USD or fiat.

Interesting.  So the assumption is news that drives down BTC will drive down LTC w.r.t. BTC?
favelle75

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:50:50 AM

Hey,

Thanks

100% this. TA for BTC is shit. The BTC market does not react like a traditional market. Its VERY volatile and any piece of news, good or bad, will send the price in huge swings.  Play those swings and you can make quite a bit of money (or better yet, more BTC). Daily.

Interesting.  So the assumption is news that drives down BTC will drive down LTC w.r.t. BTC?

That part I have found hard to predict. I just set my buy sell order and the daily fluctuations take care of the rest. So not really much analysis on my part other than watching the ratio for 6 months and seeing the opportunity. Sometimes it takes 72 hours, but every buy or sell order has been filled. And I've NEVER sold or bought at a loss because I am 100% content holding either LTC or BTC. Its win-win. Honestly, I can't believe everyone doesn't do it.

_Crypto made easier than cash_

▄███▄              ▄███▄
███████            ███████
███████   ▄████▄   ███████
▄██████████  ████████  ██████████▄
▀██████████  ████████  ██████████▀
▀███▀   ████████   ▀███▀
████████
▀████▀
MenaPay.
ANN THREAD
__
traderCJ

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:00:41 AM

Hey,

Thanks

That part I have found hard to predict. I just set my buy sell order and the daily fluctuations take care of the rest. So not really much analysis on my part other than watching the ratio for 6 months and seeing the opportunity. Sometimes it takes 72 hours, but every buy or sell order has been filled. And I've NEVER sold or bought at a loss because I am 100% content holding either LTC or BTC. Its win-win. Honestly, I can't believe everyone doesn't do it.

Thanks for the tip.  That used to work on BTC after the April crash and before the SR surge Smiley
pera

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:43:03 AM

<boomhauer> [pera] total ROI: 16.41% | last ROI: 0.02% | #trades: 12 | last trade: sold @ 968.88 | time playing: 10 days | holders ROI: 10.86%
Cheesy I did much much better IRL but I think is just luck...

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:38:43 AM

Unless you can move the market yourself...... then good luck!

I'm sure some people have profited, but I'm sure more people have lost.

I lost. I would learn to trade alt coins if I tried it all over again. Buying and selling bitcoin for profit is not easy.

+1, the margins are bigger on the alt coins, and if you make a mistake it is not as costly, as dollar cost average is much lower with alt-coins
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:46:53 AM

I trade very effectively during high volume crashes when there are pronounced and predictable waveforms and my average time in the trade is a few minutes. Anytime else I trade like shit (meaning not increasing btc) when I try swing trade days or weeks during low volume. So next time I double up my btc during a crash I might just hodl afterwards.
ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:31:43 AM

I generally do well during high volatility, however I've gotten pounded on bad currency pair calls i.e. thinking a certain alt coin will rise in value to increase my BTC holdings only to see it does the opposite.

Don't get greedy and be patient. That's my only advice and I do well when I stick to it.
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:08:46 PM

been pretty successful the last 2 months selling BTC on uptrends and buying that exact same amount of BTC near market floor, and the difference(profit) gets spent on things like silver rounds, few gold coins, a little extra fiat sitting on exchanges, etc. Most recent purchase was $100 worth of pre-1982 pennies that are 97.5% copper(post-1982 pennies are 97.5 zinc).

been pretty cool, and i suppose 'lucky' on knowing when to sell and buy. as others mentioned, if you do make a profit, diversify. it's a smart move.
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:05:24 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2014, 02:56:34 AM by Tirapon

Hey,

Thanks

Interesting.  So the assumption is news that drives down BTC will drive down LTC w.r.t. BTC?

I agree with this 100% - its literally amazing. I have no trading experience prior to discovering crypto, and yet I have never lost a trade on LTC/BTC.

Also, If you're willing to wait months rather than days, you stand a good chance of catching the real big moves and getting back 3, 4, maybe even 5 times your coins. Play with short and long timeframes, short (daily) to keep you entertained while you're waiting for the big move, and long (months) so that you really clean up when that move happens.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:26:57 AM

MY SECRET TO BITCOIN TRADING:

Buy Low and Sell High

works every time, but don't tell anyone else!

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████