Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:39:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The most compelling Bitcoin presentation I've ever seen: Andreas M. Antonopoulos  (Read 5978 times)
valerian253 (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 01:57:40 AM

I shot video of a speech by Andreas M. Antonopoulos (Let's Talk Bitcoin) at the recent Los Angeles Bitcoin Meetup.  I think he gives the most compelling presentation on the value of Bitcoin (the network, the protocol, the invention) anyone has ever made.  Here is a link to the video series:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSdnuFOLV4nMiQG9gvPBX_VQUf6E4COM

If you share it, please provide credit: Valerian Bennett - valerian@reXBT.com.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:38:02 AM

This man can be Satoshi himself for all I care. Andreas for president

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:08:35 AM

I liked these videos.
Maybe he should also talk on the potential of bitcoin to be used by robots and other autonomous agents.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:55:25 AM

Good quality, thanks! Andreas is awesome! One the voices I most admire and respect in the Bitcoin-world.

Nightwatchman

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 11:57:49 AM

Inspiring stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Xav

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:05:45 PM

Wow! This was a great speech.

"We replaced the FED by 100 lines of coding."
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:04:39 PM

Really good presentation. Each one of the video segments gave me something to ponder. When I was in Argentina, I couldn't find a single person who spoke English. This guy has flawless English. Not many geeks are also good at languages. Not many geeks can stand in front of an audience either.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:26:54 PM

I always enjoy listening to Andreas Antonopoulos. Saved it for later when I have time to listen.
btcbug

Activity: 399

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:43:15 PM

Really good presentation. Each one of the video segments gave me something to ponder. When I was in Argentina, I couldn't find a single person who spoke English. This guy has flawless English. Not many geeks are also good at languages. Not many geeks can stand in front of an audience either.

Not sure where you were, but I'm in Argentina right now and I am impressed at how many people DO speak english.
buzybit

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:23:52 PM

THank you very much Valerian!
i will post it to the Greek forum too

really cool video !
Bravo Andreas!
aantonop

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 06:38:51 PM

Thank you for recording this and for the kind words and support.

I hope to do many more of these presentations at local bitcoin communities, where I get the most value and best questions from the audience!

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:20:55 AM

This was very motivational, very nice. Thanks for sharing OP.

My only advice would be to not use derogatory terms for describing the FED, WU etc. Objectively explaining improvements over the established system is enough. Sure you can throw a joke at them but don't call them crooks, imo.

Also, your point on BTC being used to buy a joint, you said something like it's only the last thing in the production and distribution chain, implying that law enforcement is doing something wrong. BTC is used for something illegal and thus should thus be persecuted, just as any other part of the chain. Sure we are making progress on the decriminalisation of cannabis, but your point is not very good.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
vcalv1014

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:24:58 AM

Very good presentation.
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 12:55:42 AM

"Not sure where you were, but I'm in Argentina right now and I am impressed at how many people DO speak english."

I was in BA for ten days. It took me three days to be able to buy a sim card. Obviously there are plenty of people in Argentina who can speak english but compared with my experiences in Uruguay, Panama and Colombia, my lack of spanish was a struggle. And damn, I have never heard people who can talk so fast, except maybe in China! Smiley
Nightwatchman

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 01:42:46 AM

Also, your point on BTC being used to buy a joint, you said something like it's only the last thing in the production and distribution chain, implying that law enforcement is doing something wrong. BTC is used for something illegal and thus should thus be persecuted, just as any other part of the chain. Sure we are making progress on the decriminalisation of cannabis, but your point is not very good.
I thought it was an apt analogy. In context it made perfect sense. BTC is too easily (lazily?) persecuted for its anonymity and the attendant connection with Silk Road, et al. And yet every part of the supply chain to the point of those illegal goods being offered for sale has been funded using a fiat currency.

By extension, you can't knock any form of currency because of the questionable ways in which an immoral minority will use it. That's like saying you can't sell cars because some people will drive outside the regulations. Perhaps you misunderstood?
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:53:41 AM

My only advice would be to not use derogatory terms for describing the FED, WU etc. Objectively explaining improvements over the established system is enough. Sure you can throw a joke at them but don't call them crooks, imo.

I disagree.  There's no reason to sugarcoat anything.  We need more people who aren't afraid to "call a spade a spade".

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
DeadEyeCool

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:06:07 AM

THAT was amazing! Viva le revolution!!!!
DeadEyeCool

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:14:58 AM

I disagree.  There's no reason to sugarcoat anything.  We need more people who aren't afraid to "call a spade a spade".

Damn straight brother!
exocytosis

Activity: 476

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 04:44:02 AM

I wonder what Andreas thinks about Gavin visiting the CIA and CFR ... And what he thinks about the Bitcoin Foundation being part of a digital economy task force ...
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:07:59 AM

Here's the thing.   Andreas killed it in Vegas.  Period.   My only issue was that he was soo upset by the bullshit, that it showed in his voice.  And in response, you can hear the arrogant, condescending, (even chuckling at one point) responses from the other panelists.  These guys don't have emotion.  It's a proven fact that a large percent of CEO's are sociopaths, and sociopaths lack the ability for empathy.  What they do respond to however is solid facts, presented in a ROBOTIC, unemotional manner.  Conveying thoughts with even a twinge of irritation in your voice will result in them completely discounting you as a source of reliable information.  It sucks, but this is the truth.  

When someone says extremely strong phrases and terms with a lot of emotion to guys like that, they tend to disregard the person.  Andreas is our voice to these people, and his frustration and outright anger is understandable.  I hope that he can somehow mask it a little in the future, and speak the language these idiots speak.  They're full of shit, and they hide it well.  That's what they do for a living.  So Andreas, being a fucking master wordsmith in his own right, hopefully can put on the bullshit mask, and convey the *same* concepts to these people with words, and intonation that they will have to respect.  Facts without emotion, but with a calm urgency and even cutting phrases that don't branch off into too much emotion.  

I got goosebumps by his comments on the Vegas panel ... but I could tell that certain statements he made were almost laughed at by the idiots on the panel because they were so inflammatory.   For example, he commented that Bitcoin is as serious as being pulled out of your house and having your family tortured, in some countries.  It was not until a later podcast that I heard Andreas actually explain that statement.  When i first heard it, I (and im sure many others on the panel) immediately were like "ok maybe this guy isn't exactly grounded in reality, another libertarian Bitcoin kook" .... But in fact, he had a discussion with someone who said those exact words to him.  The person *was* afraid to attend the conference because his family *had* been dragged out by the govt for similar activities.

Had he presented it that way on the panel, I believe the idiots on the panel would have responded very differently.  Almost with a sobering respect.  He could have made them all look like fools.  But due to the way these guys think (unemotional, businessminded, factually based)... Andreas emotional presentation may have seemed "not grounded" in reality, but coming instead from an irrational perspective.  

One thing Andreas does not do is "irrational".  So i hope he can really hone his presentation of these incredibly important facts, and try to subdue his anger in settings like these.  

Andreas you have a way with words that I have almost never seen before.  Truly.   Please know that every ounce of urgency and emotion and disgust you have inside you, is already being felt by all of us out in the "field".  We just need someone who can convey it in a language that sociopathic empathy-less entrepreneurs can understand.  If theres some way you can remain cognisant of the often arrogant, heavily business minded (utterly absent of emotion or empathy) audiences you speak to, I think you could literally bury them with factual, unemotional words.  You can form sentences like no other.  

Please stick around the american conferences.  And please don't take offense to this post.  Ive actually been mulling over this very issue in my head for several days now, debating whether I should convey it to you, because of the risk of offending you.  I can't stress enough how incredibly important your involvement is in all of this.  Please don't give up and bail to the other countries if possible.

-BittBurger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: