Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:02:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any PPS proxy pools?  (Read 1474 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 12:01:53 PM

Are there any pools which offer PPS payments to miners, but don't generate work themselves, but rather forward work from another (non-PPS) pool?

This has the same relation to operating a normal pool, as joining a pool is to solo mining. If the backend pool is larger than the frontend pool, it significantly decreases the frontend's operator's variance, thus allowing him to safely offer low PPS fee.

This isn't very scalable (at least until there are larger fair pools), but can be a good bootstrapping option. It also works if the frontend and backend are operated by the same person, on the same server.

What are the technical challenges in implementing this?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:56:17 PM

It's perfectly possible already now and I already planned to set up something like that myself - the only challenge is right now finding time to set up everything properly.

Challenges I can think of:
Risk of getting banned/blacklisted for "DDoS" by the pool
Background pool cannot serve getworks fast enough during peak times
Handwritten proxy might be not as optimized as some more sophisticated software out there (I even thought of just running bitHopper and relaying further from there...)
Scalability issues, especially bandwidth

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 12:58:51 PM

I have one even better:
poolhop prop pools, payout "feeless" PPS, submit to SMPPS or similar as backup
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 01:33:02 PM

I have one even better:
Yeah, that's another thing I've been thinking about for a while (even before Multipool did something similar), but
1. Why stop at feeless? You can offer above 100% PPS while still maintaining a large profit margin.
2. With enough proportional pools there's not much need for backup, but for a backup you'll probably want to use a hopping-proof pool rather than SMPPS.
3. This is of course more controversial than a non-hopping proxy.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 01:38:36 PM

I have one even better:
Yeah, that's another thing I've been thinking about for a while (even before Multipool did something similar), but
1. Why stop at feeless? You can offer above 100% PPS while still maintaining a large profit margin.
2. With enough proportional pools there's not much need for backup, but for a backup you'll probably want to use a hopping-proof pool rather than SMPPS.
there are never enough prop pools unless you hop deepbit and others that are api-unfriendly using LP timings in which case you need to finetune the LP penalties depending on how good of a connection you have to a certain pool
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 01:50:39 PM

I have one even better:
there are never enough prop pools unless you hop deepbit and others that are api-unfriendly using LP timings in which case you need to finetune the LP penalties depending on how good of a connection you have to a certain pool
Hopping deepbit is easy. If a block is found in the network and you can't attribute it to any of the other pools, it's probably deepbit's. For even better results, calculate your efficiencies conditioning on the assumption that deepbit's last block is the last unknown block, that it is the 2nd last unknown block, the 3rd, and so on, and calculate the expected efficiency using the probability that an unknown block is deepbit's.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: