Given CoinHunter's egotistical behavior on the forums and on IRC, I can't fault ArtForz for attacking SolidCoin to try to put CoinHunter in his place.
That is such a shit argument for defending Art. I think it is safe to say that there are just two wrongs that have been made and so people don't have to pick sides. Art got shit on by CoinHunter, and instead of being a bigger person went on and fucked over other people based on one persons actions.
Or the alternative:
Art: Hey, here is an exploit, you should fix it
CH: Screw you fella!
***exploit remains active***
UNKNOWN: -attacks the chain even harder, causing a BIGGER issue-.
Um, exactly. Here's an easy attack:
- Fork SolidCoin and modify code to ignore huge transactions and to perform the mining cartel attack.
- Put 60 GHash on mining SolidCoin using your modded code.
- Create thousands of these huge transactions in secret and release them at the same time.
- This will crash every single node due to out of memory issue. And if the nodes don't crash, they will be extremely slow to process blocks and transactions.
- Your 60 GHash will likely have 51% of the total mining power.
- While everyone else is picking up pieces, you are happily performing the mining cartel attack and raping solidcoin for its easy block rewards.
ArtForz is smart enough and has the resources to pull this off. Yet he didn't. He just released 71 transactions one at a time.
So yes, I think ArtForz did the right thing to bring this problem to the surface because CH/RS is too stupid to realize it's a problem and too full of himself to listen to others.