Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:27:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where I placed my bets on short-term bitcoin price.  (Read 1656 times)
Edward50 (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:34:30 AM

I think once you saw the poster you probably knew where I placed my bets  Grin. This is a serious post and just letting you guys know how I placed my bets and why. I am not trying to tell you how to place your bets or trying to make you guys sell or anything like that, so no flaming me please.

Anyway, I sold out around 7 bitcoins, or mostly all the bitcoins I could easily transfer to the exchange. I started before this last recent rally by selling half at $820. Didn't expect this recent rally, but sold the rest some hours ago for $840 after this rally failed. These are campbx prices and not MTgox so they are a lot lower, like $100 lower.

Bitcoin can go either way as there is nothing certain anymore but here is why I decided to place my bets for it going lower.

First, you should understand that only big speculators really control the price. They use their wealth to push the market where they want, then they hope you guys pick up the slack and they profit from that.

They tried twice to push bitcoin to over $1000 dollars and both times have failed to start any rally higher. Volume got super low and the demand for expensive bitcoins is just not there. This was unlike the situation with the first push to $1000 which had lots of mania and super high volume.

Since they probably spent a lot of money twice trying to push the market higher and failed, they will pull back and let the price slide back down. This way they can at least buy at say $400 and then try and push it up to $1000 again and sell at $1000.

Well, these are my thoughts anyway. I could be wrong as it could go either way and wouldn't be surprised either if it went up. But I feel more certain that it just has to go lower from here so that the big market players can make some money again. I sold half after the first push to $1000 failed, and sold the rest today.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 05:57:36 PM

Way to cite sources bro.

Manipulation is so 2011.

Really I think we are just levelling out from the last bubble. The corrections are getting smaller, and a slow, positive growth has resulted from greater levels of adoption. Whales are fewer and further between and I believe they have less influence than ever before. The big news, both good and bad (Overstock vs. China) has little to do with the price atm. Until Overstock accepts BTC on a global level, or China bans it outright, they will not have that great of an influence on the price.

On Christmas day, BTC hit $750 on Coinbase, and that was considered a nice uptick.

Last week it was flirting with $900, same thing.

Bitcoin is in a relatively steady period of growth and no news out of Bumfuckistan is going to change it unless it truly affects the globe.

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
kromer

Activity: 86
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 06:02:49 PM

$400... Keep dreaming Cheesy
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 07:06:39 PM

I placed my bets at $7, because the price was there just a year and a half ago and since then we can see there is no volume, so the speculative price won't hold much longer and there is no more demand; people are only selling and nobody bought a single bitcoin since 2013.

This price is a guess but I'm 100% positive I will buy at that level, maybe $7.30 maximum.

i am satoshi
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:32:19 PM

Agree in principle with op. Bitcoin can go way down. 1k has been rejected a number of times now. Loaded mention that there are two groups painting ta signals.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Borsche

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:41:39 AM

In truth, I think this is exactly the post-April situation now, only with 1000 instead of 150. No, we are not going to 400. we'll sit in 600-1000 range for a month or several, and then break through to the next moon.

i am satoshi
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 05:35:56 PM

In truth, I think this is exactly the post-April situation now, only with 1000 instead of 150. No, we are not going to 400. we'll sit in 600-1000 range for a month or several, and then break through to the next moon.

It might be even a tighter range than that.  We've established, over the last month, a nice tight range, relative to Bitcoins historical volatility and price movements.  We have built up resistance and support bands that could limit the price movement in either direction until we receive some good or bad news.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 06:10:24 PM

I think once you saw the poster you probably knew where I placed my bets  Grin. This is a serious post and just letting you guys know how I placed my bets and why. I am not trying to tell you how to place your bets or trying to make you guys sell or anything like that, so no flaming me please.

Anyway, I sold out around 7 bitcoins, or mostly all the bitcoins I could easily transfer to the exchange. I started before this last recent rally by selling half at $820. Didn't expect this recent rally, but sold the rest some hours ago for $840 after this rally failed. These are campbx prices and not MTgox so they are a lot lower, like $100 lower.

Bitcoin can go either way as there is nothing certain anymore but here is why I decided to place my bets for it going lower.

First, you should understand that only big speculators really control the price. They use their wealth to push the market where they want, then they hope you guys pick up the slack and they profit from that.

They tried twice to push bitcoin to over $1000 dollars and both times have failed to start any rally higher. Volume got super low and the demand for expensive bitcoins is just not there. This was unlike the situation with the first push to $1000 which had lots of mania and super high volume.

Since they probably spent a lot of money twice trying to push the market higher and failed, they will pull back and let the price slide back down. This way they can at least buy at say $400 and then try and push it up to $1000 again and sell at $1000.

Well, these are my thoughts anyway. I could be wrong as it could go either way and wouldn't be surprised either if it went up. But I feel more certain that it just has to go lower from here so that the big market players can make some money again. I sold half after the first push to $1000 failed, and sold the rest today.

Mmmmmm, I've analysed your analysis and I think you're being a bit too bullish here, Edward.  I think we can safely assume that anyone with big money has already internalized all of the confirmed bad news from sources and such, and without their support my backtesting shows that the conservative bearish case has the price leveling off around $100 for a while before bitcoin fully implodes later this year, or perhaps early next year, depending on a few factors.

Whether your bullish case is correct, or my conservative bearish case is, or my more likely aggressive panda bear case, it's clear at this point that everyone should SODL and not HODL, and if you can, short bitcoin at the highest margin levels possible.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:30:34 PM

if you can, short bitcoin at the highest margin levels possible.

That is so marvelously evil that I am marveling now.  Marvel marvel.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 11:45:29 PM

Proudhon I liked you better back then.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:47:36 PM

Proudhon I liked you better back then.

Back when?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:49:40 PM

Back when we really were afraid that there was a good chance it was all going down the drain. Cheesy
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:55:17 PM

Back when we really were afraid that there was a good chance it was all going down the drain. Cheesy

Yeah, Oct/Nov 2011 probably took a few years off my life.  I just got IRC flashbacks.  Jesus, 2011, what a ride.

BitcoinBobbeh

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:06:58 AM

Yeah, Oct/Nov 2011 probably took a few years off my life.  I just got IRC flashbacks.  Jesus, 2011, what a ride.

I spent some good time today looking back through your last 2-3 pages of posts.

You are all kinds of FUD up.

(♫ Wah Wah Pun Sound ♪)

By the end of next month at the latest we will have permanently left behind 3 digits. You can quote me on this.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:07:14 AM

I remember when the final lower trendline broke to the downside. You literally couldn't draw a valid long-term support trendline either on log or nominal charts.

Hell has come upon us, and I am thankful it has come so early in my career.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:02:32 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 03:00:30 AM by Dafar

This.

I had a strong feeling of this last month and even called it.... this sideways motion is boring as hell and I have a feeling this will last for months.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:09:53 AM

Well, it can't always be exploding or plunging prices. Perhaps boring periods maybe send Bitcoin fans off to work on interesting projects.

Perhaps overwhelming price dullness will inspire people to invest in whatever infrastructure they can as well. That's where major and ongoing returns will come from. That's what I'd be doing if I had the chance.

A price rise of 2013 proportions seems ludicrous from this moment in time but I think the ongoing developments and news will be about as far from boring as possible.
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330

dafar consulting

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:17:22 AM
Last edit: January 16, 2014, 02:58:44 AM by Dafar

A price rise of 2013 proportions seems ludicrous from this moment in time but I think the ongoing developments and news will be about as far from boring as possible.

I agree but I also think that's what made 2013 the year of bitcoin.... as opposed to 2014.

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:22:11 AM

The whole price thing has been pretty darned compelling so far but I wouldn't be here if the overall tale wasn't so incredibly fascinating.

From fraction of a penny to $1200 a piece is entirely achievable with enthusiast funds. To get to some of the stratospheric valuations being thrown around will need big finance and some sort of government involvement.

It's looking like that's what 2014 is going to clarify, whether we want it or not, and that's maybe why it'll be the year of all years to date. It's a humongous and potentially fatal chasm to attempt to bridge and we're here to watch it unfold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: