Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:30:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: People who cashed out and got rich?  (Read 4313 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:00:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone, perhaps early adapters, who amassed a large amount of BTCs back in the day and managed to cash out? I'm not talking about people who currently own tens of thousands of BTCs, but those who went a step forward.

Under construction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:04:17 AM

Or is it step back? If you assume that BTC will rise even more ofc...

the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:35:48 AM

Or is it step back? If you assume that BTC will rise even more ofc...

Perhaps, but I'm referring to people who were able to convert the whole investment into fiat, regardless of whether they reinvested it or not.

Under construction.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:37:08 AM

Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone, perhaps early adapters, who amassed a large amount of BTCs back in the day and managed to cash out? I'm not talking about people who currently own tens of thousands of BTCs, but those who went a step forward.

Intelligent people "cash out" gradually as the price increases, and do things like buy lambos Smiley

Anyone who has cashed out their entire bitcoin collection already is probably deeply regretting it, because they probably did it at $200 or less per coin.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:12:06 AM

The whole question is badly formed. People don't need to cash out to be rich. You can buy gold, land and many other things with btc, so converting to fiat doesn't mean you get reacher, It's the other way around.

the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:28:29 AM

The whole question is badly formed. People don't need to cash out to be rich. You can buy gold, land and many other things with btc, so converting to fiat doesn't mean you get reacher, It's the other way around.
Fiat or any other thing that is commonly accepted as 'wealth' in everyday life, including real estate, gold, etc. Any stories you guys know of?

Under construction.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:30:45 AM

Fiat or any other thing that is commonly accepted as 'wealth' in everyday life. Any stories you guys know of?

For obvious reasons, most people don't publicly announce getting rich from bitcoins Smiley
Jeffrey

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:32:41 AM

Anyone who has cashed out their entire bitcoin collection already is probably deeply regretting it, because they probably did it at $200 or less per coin.

This.

People who had litteraly thousands of coins were most likely already feeling awesome when the price was $15, maybe some waited a bit more and cashed at $100, perhaps an odd one here and there who cashed at $200-ish, but I think that's about it.

Oh and I'm not counting the cases of "oh yeah I forgot I had 5000 coins lol now I'm a millionaire" but only thinking of people who were active in bitcoins all the time.
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

Fiat or any other thing that is commonly accepted as 'wealth' in everyday life. Any stories you guys know of?

For obvious reasons, most people don't publicly announce getting rich from bitcoins Smiley

I know, that's why I'm referring to 'any' stories and I'm not asking for names Smiley

Under construction.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:46:50 AM

I know, that's why I'm referring to 'any' stories and I'm not asking for names Smiley

Well the most famous one I know is the guy that bought the lambo with his bitcoins. But I'm not sure that qualifies as I'm sure as heck he still has plenty of coins left. Does a lambo qualify as "wealth" in your book? Wink
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:50:03 AM

Does a lambo qualify as "wealth" in your book? Wink

Sort of. Cheesy

Under construction.
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:15:25 PM

@the_poet: I don't plan on cashing out, ever. If you compare the bitcoin market state today and year ago, you'll see that in a year-two there will be lots of places where you'll be able to buy everything using only bitcoin.

As for the question: I don't have a source, but I remember that laszlo [known for a 10kBTC pizza] some time ago cashed out and built himself a villa.

As far as villas go, I plan on someday building [not buying] for myself something like that:

Seen an interview with a kid who built it few years ago. Cheap, natural houses are getting better and better.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:29:34 PM

@the_poet: I don't plan on cashing out, ever. If you compare the bitcoin market state today and year ago, you'll see that in a year-two there will be lots of places where you'll be able to buy everything using only bitcoin.

As for the question: I don't have a source, but I remember that laszlo [known for a 10kBTC pizza] some time ago cashed out and built himself a villa.

As far as villas go, I plan on someday building [not buying] for myself something like that:

lol, is that legit? I'd love to live in one of them.
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:47:34 PM

Yes it is. If you build a home on a trailer it doesn't qualify as a structure and you don't have to pay rent for it. If you manage to get a free water supply and put solar panels on the roof you're living for free.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:05:47 PM

Yes it is. If you build a home on a trailer it doesn't qualify as a structure and you don't have to pay rent for it. If you manage to get a free water supply and put solar panels on the roof you're living for free.

How much does it cost? I want one.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:20:33 PM

How much does it cost? I want one.

In Georgia those are called "trailers".....

~BCX~

But I bet they don't look as pretty and picturesque as that.
SirBitsalot

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:36:54 PM

As far as I see it, any chance of getting rich will come later when BTC gets more popular. Eventually, if it REALLY hits, you'll want to cash out right away... the time will come. It's all about timing!
phazon307

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 10:40:47 PM

That would be so fun to build and live in if it was made right.

Win up $200.00 usd in bitcoins every hour.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 02:39:57 AM

As far as I see it, any chance of getting rich will come later when BTC gets more popular. Eventually, if it REALLY hits, you'll want to cash out right away... the time will come. It's all about timing!

If it REALLY hits, you won't need to "cash out" because you will be able to buy everything in bitcoin. Its a currency you know Smiley
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:41:43 AM

I consider myself a mid-adopter.  Very early on, and probably in my buying phase, I planned to cash out at 10x if we got that far to get back my initial speculative outlay.  Then lose about 1/2 of my BTC at 100x.  I'm in the process of doing the latter, but getting at my deep storage wallets is deliberately time consuming and laborious.  Plus, I've got all the fiat I want and need for the immediate future and I'm getting a bit greedy and hoping for further increases over the course of the year.

As for my remaining stash, I've not thought about it in detail like the earlier targets.  It'll be a matter of watching the evolutionary twists and turns that Bitcoin makes, watching what happens in alt-cc-land, seeing what other hobbies and interests I might develop which would benefit by cash-flow, etc.

Buy yes, I intend to die with a relatively small number of BTC under my control.  I did my duty of mopping up excess liquidity back when that was a problem and I plan to continue my obligation of releasing the BTC back into the economy as and if they become increasingly dear.  I've never been so handsomely rewarded for doing so little Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: