Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:47:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-05-22] Bitcoin Pizza Day: How a Pizza Worth $40M Shows the Cryptocurrency  (Read 167 times)
Terraformer (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 02:03:39 PM

On 17 May, 2010, a computer programmer from Florida set out to prove that bitcoin could be used as a real-world currency. At the time, one unit of the cryptocurrency was only worth $0.008, so Laszlo Hanyecz proposed buying two pizzas for what would today be an extraordinary sum of bitcoins.

“I’ll pay 10,000 bitcoins for a couple of pizzas,” Mr Hanyecz said on a bitcoin forum. “Maybe 2 large ones so I have some left over for the next day. I like having left over pizza to nibble on later.”

He signed off the post: “If you’re interested please let me know and we can work out a deal.”

Most members of the forum were interested in the experiment but some saw it as a bid to get a free meal from a technology that was unknown beyond a small subset of free market libertarians and so-called cypher-punks.

“Good luck on getting your free pizza,” one user commented, to which Mr Hanyecz replied: “I just think it would be interesting if I could say that I paid for a pizza in bitcoins.”

Five days later Mr Hanyecz posted a picture of two pizzas to the same forum, alongside a comment saying he had successfully traded 10,000 bitcoins to acquire them.

On 22 May, 2010, the first ever real-world bitcoin transaction took place. Lazlo Hanyecz bought two pizzas for 10,000 bitcoins – the equivalent of $82 million at today's prices (Lazlo Hanyecz)

Within a couple of months the price of bitcoin had risen 10-fold, forcing the computer programmer to rescind an open offer to exchange bitcoins for pizza.

Continue reading >> https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bitcoin-pizza-day-cryptocurrency-value-price-exchange-rate-papa-john-a8362941.html
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 05:20:49 PM

Just adding a bit of info to ponder upon  Grin

On 2017/12/16 .. 1 BTC = $ 20089.00

So these pizzas are worth $ 20,08,90,000.00  Shocked
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:13:53 PM

I ran a big game server back in the day, so in Jan of 2009 I took it all down ...like 6 towers of CPU power, with the other machines

I had, call it 10 towers of CPU available for BTC mining....alas, did not find out about BTC until 2013 Sad

Worse yet, I had a buddy who worked for NASA, who passed before 2009 and caught up with all his buddies at NASA

at one time, by chance, on whale talk chat 2 plus years ago, and they are all BTC Billionaires because they got in right away...

Ack!

alas, no one phoned till 2013...

As to the 10,000 for the Pizza, I wish I'd have been in the loop then.

So anyway, perfectly positioned to be 'the pizza guy' who did this...but alas, no one phone until 2013...

(my buddy Qazz would have loved this crypto stuff big time...)

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 06:28:37 PM
Merited by richardsNY (1)

I think a lot of people who are into BTC for at least a few years have their own Pizza Days, for example I''ve used my early Bitcoin earning to buy a PC, and recently those coins were worth enough to buy me a small apartment in my city. But there's no point to regret our spendings, because no one could have known the future, and the past can't be changed.. Instead it's better to focus on the future and perhaps be more conservative with spendings that involve BTC - there are some people who choose to live very frugal lives despite their BTC gains, because they expect to get even more. Maybe they will become billionaires in the future, while those who buy Lambo's today will regret it later.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:01:01 PM

I ran a big game server back in the day, so in Jan of 2009 I took it all down ...like 6 towers of CPU power, with the other machines
I had, call it 10 towers of CPU available for BTC mining....alas, did not find out about BTC until 2013 Sad
Ack!
alas, no one phoned till 2013...
As to the 10,000 for the Pizza, I wish I'd have been in the loop then.
Indeed this also baffles me, Brad... I also had some servers at that time but was mainly interested in software development and didn't hear about BTC until 2013 but still was skeptical about it...

BTW, I also made a post about the BTC Pizza day in the Bitcoin Discussion forum, did not see this one, but found some interesting facts about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4143199.0
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:09:49 PM

Using Bitcoin on its early days as a cryptocurrency is not a dumb thing to do, it was in the first place its intended purpose. We are just like laughing it out thinking what they did is dumb as the current value right now is way more than the value it has before. People who have spent Bitcoin, even people who have spent BTC way back at 1,000$ are experiencing a moment of regret now. Remember hindsight is always 20/20 we don't really know what the future prices of Bitcoin will be. People who are spending BTC right now can experience regret if BTC goes up to 50,000$, just my two cents people.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 07:18:27 PM

But there's no point to regret our spendings, because no one could have known the future, and the past can't be changed..

Correct, but I found something that helps me in getting back the Bitcoins that I spent. It doesn't happen very often that I spend my coins, but when I do, I make sure that after everything I bought with Bitcoin, I use fiat in my bank account to buy the exact amount in Bitcoin back that I spent. This way you don't ever have to regret spending your coins, and for me it actually works. Sure, people can choose to stick with fiat when it comes to their purchases, everyone is free to do that, but in some cases it's more convenient to use Bitcoin (also offers some privacy in case it's a digital purchase), and an additional benefit is that we contribute to Bitcoin's ecosystem and allow coins to circulate.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2842
Merit: 768

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 10:32:50 PM

Ive been wondering on what are the things on the mind of that Pizza guy! For sure he do made the biggest mistake on his entire life specially when he saw that bitcoin did able to reach ou 20k usd each but well he do made a history on here. Past is past and cant be reverted and should moved on and also comes to my mind if he do able to accumulate 10k bitcoin into those times then he might still up some coins in his stashes.Unless if he do buy even more pizza with that amount.  Shocked

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2018, 12:09:29 AM

Cryptocurrency exchange Bitstamp sponsored Bitcoin Pizza Day event in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Event was organized as meetup for members of Bitcoin Association Slovenia. They even ordered huge pizza with BTC symbol, check photos here: https://www.facebook.com/Bitstamp/posts/1661466907303902

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: