Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:00:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Bit-job  (Read 2449 times)
btcgolong (OP)

Activity: 451
Merit: 269

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 06:27:50 PM

With the terrible state of global economies and the lack of "new"jobs, I'm wondering if bitcoin is creating any jobs? Is anyone making their living off bitcoin or bitcoin related activities?

I would love to have a Bit-Job, do you see Bitcoin creating jobs in the future?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 06:28:56 PM

I don't think there are any Jobs that pay enough in Bitcoin to be worth anything.
You can check out http://forbitcoin.com/ for job post.

w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 07:23:38 PM

I don't think there are any Jobs that pay enough in Bitcoin to be worth anything.
You can check out http://forbitcoin.com/ for job post.

That's simply not true.  There are hundreds of professionals that accept Bitcoins, and may of them are doing significant business in btc.  I just paid an excellent graphic designer the equivalent of about $400 for word done on one of my sites, for example.

I don't think any of them are living exclusively off of Bitcoin jobs, but given time that may well change.  Bitcoin is uniquely suited for freelance work.  For example, I've been paying $15-$20 to accept overseas wire payments for my freelance work, and the party that pays me usually is responsible for about the same amount. So $30-40 USD to transfer a couple of hundred of dollars.  Oh, and it usually takes 4 business days to clear.  With BTC, it's nearly free and clears in a few hours.

4096R/F5EA0017
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 10:51:13 PM

That's simply not true.  There are hundreds of professionals that accept Bitcoins, and may of them are doing significant business in btc.  I just paid an excellent graphic designer the equivalent of about $400 for word done on one of my sites, for example.

I don't think any of them are living exclusively off of Bitcoin jobs, but given time that may well change.  Bitcoin is uniquely suited for freelance work.  For example, I've been paying $15-$20 to accept overseas wire payments for my freelance work, and the party that pays me usually is responsible for about the same amount. So $30-40 USD to transfer a couple of hundred of dollars.  Oh, and it usually takes 4 business days to clear.  With BTC, it's nearly free and clears in a few hours.

GLBSE is looking for javascript and Ruby devs.

https://glbse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
skilo

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 10:58:59 PM

I would accept BTC as payment for my labor.

It's tax free income you would have to be a fool to turn down BTC as payment.
NothinG

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:09:02 PM

I was trying to say there aren't any jobs for Bitcoins that could make you enough money to live off of.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 11:12:43 PM

The bitcoin community is still mostly concerned with itself, so the most valuable option you have is something relevant to bitcoin itself.
I know this sound kind of stupid, but as it turns out thats how it is..
skilo

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:15:59 PM

I was trying to say there aren't any jobs for Bitcoins that could make you enough money to live off of.

That is true, Not many jobs left that pay you in USD either for that matter lol ... *sigh  Sad
NothinG

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:18:36 PM

That is true, Not many jobs left that pay you in USD either for that matter lol ... *sigh  Sad
I had recently gotten a Job (in the real world) and my boss is interested in Bitcoins.
We came up with the idea of starting to talk to local markets to accept Bitcoins.

Instead of going with Mt.Gox (or other exchange), people will be setting the price as they see fit.
Like the good ol' bartering days.

skilo

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:25:03 PM

I had recently gotten a Job (in the real world) and my boss is interested in Bitcoins.
We came up with the idea of starting to talk to local markets to accept Bitcoins.

Instead of going with Mt.Gox (or other exchange), people will be setting the price as they see fit.
Like the good ol' bartering days.

Thats good NothinG, I think thats a great idea, I was just talking about this very thing in another thread here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41271.msg503836#msg503836
onesalt

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:36:01 PM

It's only tax free if you don't mind BTC getting a bad rep and you personally getting done for tax dodging but whatever.
NothinG

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:41:16 PM

It's only tax free if you don't mind BTC getting a bad rep and you personally getting done for tax dodging but whatever.
I don't doge taxes...I pay 0.0005 for EACH of my transactions!

skilo

View Profile
September 04, 2011, 11:43:09 PM

I'm not advocating people break the law here but lets say hypothetically an employer hired you and never filled out the paper work to make you a legal employee and he only payed you in bitcoins.

Not only would you not exist as far as the company is concerned but the employers payments to you would be virtually untraceable.

So the employers financial records show weekly deposits to mt gox? so what? all that shows is he is throwing alot of money into the BTC exchange, Where it goes from there is anyones guess.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2011, 11:58:33 PM

I'm not advocating people break the law here but lets say hypothetically an employer hired you and never filled out the paper work to make you a legal employee and he only payed you in bitcoins.

Not only would you not exist as far as the company is concerned but the employers payments to you would be virtually untraceable.

So the employers financial records show weekly deposits to mt gox? so what? all that shows is he is throwing alot of money into the BTC exchange, Where it goes from there is anyones guess.

Allow me to play devil's advocate. I allow you (not you personally, skilo) to hire me to work for you shoveling alpaca manure and paying me at the end of the week in Bitcoin. I worked 40 hours at $10 an hour, therefore you transfer $400 worth of Bitcoin from your wallet to mine. Come Money, I file an employment lawsuit against my former employer for non payment of wages, therefore getting paid twice.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 12:08:33 AM

Allow me to play devil's advocate. I allow you (not you personally, skilo) to hire me to work for you shoveling alpaca manure and paying me at the end of the week in Bitcoin. I worked 40 hours at $10 an hour, therefore you transfer $400 worth of Bitcoin from your wallet to mine. Come Money, I file an employment lawsuit against my former employer for non payment of wages because the employer will not have any proof that I was paid. I should be able to win this case, therefore getting paid twice.

Discussion? Flaw in my logic? Humor me, or I'll pen a letter to bitrebel about space aliens ready to destroy Bitcoin if Greiays (We're not Greys!) is mentioned one more time on this board.

skilo

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 12:09:03 AM

Allow me to play devil's advocate. I allow you (not you personally, skilo) to hire me to work for you shoveling alpaca manure and paying me at the end of the week in Bitcoin. I worked 40 hours at $10 an hour, therefore you transfer $400 worth of Bitcoin from your wallet to mine. Come Money, I file an employment lawsuit against my former employer for non payment of wages, therefore getting paid twice.

Yep, That would be a problem lol  Grin

But if the employer where good close friends with the employee this might not be something the employer would have to worry about.

And of course if the employer never filled the paper work to "officially" hire the employee then the employee could not file any sort of lawsuit because his employment didnt exist.
brendio

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 12:47:15 AM

The same argument can be made for any cash jobs. Bitcoins are a bit like cash, you know. That they are less traceable makes it easier to avoid tax. Doesn't necessarily  make it legal though.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 12:51:43 AM

The same argument can be made for any cash jobs. Bitcoins are a bit like cash, you know. That they are less traceable makes it easier to avoid tax. Doesn't necessarily  make it legal though.

and

Yep, That would be a problem lol  Grin

But if the employer where good close friends with the employee this might not be something the employer would have to worry about.

And of course if the employer never filled the paper work to "officially" hire the employee then the employee could not file any sort of lawsuit because his employment didnt exist.

First off, I apologize for the double post. I just now saw that.

Good points from both members.

Now about this Greiays issue...

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 03:21:10 AM

We are needing to hire a PHP/Javascript programmer that has experience working with the popular shopping cart software tools.  The pay would be project-based for now. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
NothinG

View Profile
September 05, 2011, 03:36:05 AM

We are needing to hire a PHP/Javascript programmer that has experience working with the popular shopping cart software tools.  The pay would be project-based for now. 
Need a coder for a WHMCS gateway?
PHP API

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: