Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:03:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is NXT next or will it be nixed? Where are you investing?  (Read 872 times)
missy2 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 02:58:16 PM

Hi all!  I'm a new member to bitcointalk  and fairly new to crypto in general.

I must admit though that I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I kinda feel like I missed the boat a bit with Bitcoins as an appreciating investment.  So I'm looking for what could be the next 'big thing'.  I was convinced it was NXT so I bought some (I wasn't into crypto back when they had their original premine investment period).  But now I kind of feel like it will take forever to get my investment back and feel a bit orphaned by the early cashout pump/dumpers.  It feels like there's no real interest/buzz in NXT.  And now that their code is open source... I'm sure future BTC 2.0 candidates will pop up.

My question as a newbie without the computing power to mine coins is where do I invest for a reasonable short and long term gain?  There's like a new coin every day.  Are people seriously downloading a thousand wallets and collecting crypto across the spectrum or do you have your focus on only a few coins?  

Would love to get some thoughts and opinions on how to navigate this crypto-world with best odds of success (realizing of course that no one can guess the future, BUT....)

Thanks in advance!
Velodrom

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:02:16 PM

Doge has the best community by far so that's what I'm going for

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/
missy2 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:19:09 PM

Doge has the best community by far so that's what I'm going for

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/

Yeah, I've been watching Doge.. but it seems like a joke coin gone legit really just due to media attention/marketing.  I wonder if it will have any lasting power... I mean what's next a "grumpy cat" coin?

goebat

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:29:58 PM

Be very wary of these new coins - most are just pump and dump schemes that bring nothing new to the table.  Take the time to research the coins you think have potential - as you say, nobody can say for sure what will be successful.  Most of the alts have been taking a battering lately, so there really are no sure things.

My Shapeways shop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
FREE BTC every hour           |          More FREE BTC           |          Trade GH/s and mine BTC in the cloud           |          Scrypt cloud mining          |          Bitcoin Pyramid          |
zanzibar

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:28:58 PM

Hi all!  I'm a new member to bitcointalk  and fairly new to crypto in general.

I must admit though that I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I kinda feel like I missed the boat a bit with Bitcoins as an appreciating investment.  So I'm looking for what could be the next 'big thing'.  I was convinced it was NXT so I bought some (I wasn't into crypto back when they had their original premine investment period).  But now I kind of feel like it will take forever to get my investment back and feel a bit orphaned by the early cashout pump/dumpers.  It feels like there's no real interest/buzz in NXT.  And now that their code is open source... I'm sure future BTC 2.0 candidates will pop up.

My question as a newbie without the computing power to mine coins is where do I invest for a reasonable short and long term gain?  There's like a new coin every day.  Are people seriously downloading a thousand wallets and collecting crypto across the spectrum or do you have your focus on only a few coins?  

Would love to get some thoughts and opinions on how to navigate this crypto-world with best odds of success (realizing of course that no one can guess the future, BUT....)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was an early adopter of BTC, bought when it was about 20cents/BTC, I remember having about 12k BTC in my wallet at one point Wink  Anyway, Nxt is the first alt coin that I've invested in since BTC.  I'm not an active forum member, but figured I might as well join the community.  I know several of the core team at Nxt and they are all top notch.  The feature set and scalability of Nxt is like nothing you've seen or possible with BTC clones.  I would invest in Nxt, but only as much as you can afford to lose, of course I would say that with any crypto coin investment, including BTC. 
goebat

Activity: 89

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 10:37:34 AM

FWIW, I too am quite optimistic about NXT, even though I've seen my modest investment halve over the past 3 weeks.  It seems to be one of the few coins that genuinely offer something worthwhile over the flood of worthless shitcoins entering the scene.  You'll find plenty who strongly disagree though, pointing to the 100% "premine" and apparently sub-par code.  Again, do your own research and make up your own mind.  Bitcoin had (and still has) many detractors, and look how far it's come.  Since you asked in the title, some other coins I feel are worth a mention are:

Anoncoin, Peercoin, Primecoin, Protoshares, Stablecoin.  Pretty much all have taken a beating lately, so one more time, do your own due diligence and invest at your own risk.

My Shapeways shop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
FREE BTC every hour           |          More FREE BTC           |          Trade GH/s and mine BTC in the cloud           |          Scrypt cloud mining          |          Bitcoin Pyramid          |
solracx

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 10:41:31 AM

IXC (iXcoin)

One of the few coins that has not taken a beating.

It has been around 2 1/2 years now.   2nd oldest coin in existence.

It has #3 in hash rate among all coins.

Still undervalued at 11 cents.

http://www.ixcoin.co

Note:  Most coins likely will be dead 2 1/2 years from now.

ZenithCoin - Sustainable Scrypt Based Crypto Currency
garcias

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:25:48 AM

eMunie and Curecoin (they still on developement)
the ones that exist i think Quark and NXT will be good Smiley

Support DigiByte Smiley
DGB:DLLC7PPEZ7zxnB1RJd9hsvwr1HdJxFfGcb

this is a scam:
69.5 BTC

[/quote
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:42:12 AM

Worldcoin is set to be good with Scharmbeck (direct USD/WDC) already in beta testing.
http://worldcoinfoundation.org/en/coin-facts/services
https://scharmbeck.com/

Bitshares looks very good and I think may be the next big thing
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1863.0
http://invictus-innovations.com/

These are what I have/am investing in.

Good luck on your investments!

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:54:20 AM

NXT is still in (an early) beta. There are no services, half of the features are still in development, so you have to wait. As soon as the development work will be finished it will be a game changer. BTW I'd suggest to take a look at EMU, Protoshares and Curecoin. TAGCoin and Datacoin are also interesting stuff.
missy2 (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:00:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback folks!  And for the 'patience pep talk' on NXT.. I'll hold on my modest NXT investment.

Thank you also for the other coin suggestions.  I will look into some of the ones I hadn't heard of before. 

Someone also mentioned eMunie which I was curious about too.  Seems to have some professional people behind it.

I wish the crypto market wasn't so darn flooded with so many contenders each trying to justify why they'll come out on top.  Hard for a non-techie to wade through it all...
Coinsy

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:06:21 PM

The best coins you'll find aren't the one's flooded on these forums. You'll also realize that most coins offer nothing drastically new to Bitcoin, and thus will have no reason for being adopted in the future. The second generation coins are the best to direct your focus on (NXT, EmU, Mastercoin, Ripple, Zerocoin, etc.).
lonesoul

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:11:28 PM

I think the best thing to do with the alt coins is to mine some of as many as possible.

I spent $1000 on a couple of mining rigs and just mine up coins when they are launched, this has been far more profitable for me than trying to determine which one will be the next big thing.

I have probably made 4k-5k from Mining but my trading skills are so bad that the funds currently stand at about 2.5k So i can be 100% sure that if i had been buying/selling with cold hard cash i would currently be at a loss! of more than the mining hardware cost!

regardless of what people tell you about the profitability of GPUs they still make plenty of money if you point them at enough different coins over their lifetime.  (if only i held my 3.5mil NetCoins instead of selling them in November! I was mining them for about 5-6 hours with 2mh on the day of the launch, I gave up mining them as i thought there wasnt a hope they would get listed if i had personally managed to mine so many! now if i kept them or at least mined for a full day, I would be able to use these 5-6hours work to put a 25% deposit down on a house! if i had gone for a full day I could of bought a house outright!  {which is now my target lol, im mining everything and selling nothing! sooner or later I'll hit another winner its a decent amount of guess work though on which it will be!})

good luck with your hunt! I wish you well young grass hopper.

Please click this link-> https://mcxnow.com/?r=Stuartnorth       (The link is a referral link, it costs you nothing, but provides a little bonus for me if you click through to the site. Please help feed my baby. Thanks :-) )
Conurtrol

Activity: 478

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 03:20:15 PM

Right now - NXT
Soon- emunie
This year- MC2, Ethereum, Zero Coin

All of these look to have big potential and are worthy of some speculative investment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: